Mister Phes

New Pirate Forum Skin – Photos for Editors without Photos

gallery_273_58_8523.jpg

For the first time ever YOU have the opportunity to contribute to a Eurobricks Forum Skin!

We’re looking for a wide range of LEGO Pirate minifigures in an assortment of entertaining poses.

So, if you have an interesting minifigure or three, post photos of them in this thread.

What we're currently looking for is minifigures in poses grouped according to their Pirate sub-theme, I.e. Pirates (1989-1991, 1992-1995 & 1996-1997), Soldiers, Imperial Guards, Islanders, Imperial Armada , Pirates II and Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean.

What we’re looking for…
  • Minifigures from LEGO sets

Pirates, Soldiers (blue coats), Imperial Guards (red coats), Islanders (natives), Imperial Armada (conquistadors), Pirates II (released in 2009-2010) and Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean.

• Custom Minifigures

The Dutch, Portuguese, East India Trading Company, Colonisation of Central America, undead pirates, etc.

• Mesoamerican Civilisations

Aztec, Maya, Inca, Olmec, Toltec, etc.

What we’re NOT looking for…

• Sigfigs or avatars

it wouldn’t be fair to permanently feature somebody’s forum identity.

• 4+/Jackstone Pirates sets

those oversized pirates which were released in 2004. Although their accessories may work with standard SYSTEM Pirate minfigures.

• Pirates from outside the Caribbean

Vikings, Space Pirates, Steampunk, Medieval Pirates, Barbary Corsairs, etc.

• Minfigs & Elements from Imitation/Counterfeit or Competing Brands

The minifigures and pieces you use MUST be authentic LEGO, with the exception of elements from custom LEGO manufacturers such Brickarms, Brickforge, Citizen Brick, etc. These are acceptable.

The blasted Rules

• The photography must be decent!

We will NOT accept low resolution images nor include images which contain artefacts (graininess), aliasing (jagged edges), chromatic aberration (colour fringing), focal defects (blurriness), mismatched impedance (ghosting), oversaturation or any noticeable visual distortion.

• The minifigure/LEGO elements MUST be shown entirely within the photo

Please do not submit photos with minifigures/elements which cannot be fully seen. E.g. peaking in from the side or from the waist up. If they were to be added to the banner, whatever part(s) aren't visible would simply look cut off in the banner.

• No lighting techniques or harsh shadows

Please photograph your minfigure(s) in consistent lighting.

• The minfigure(s) must isolated against a neutral coloured background

The background will need to be manually removed and this is much easier if it contrasts with the minifgure and is a constant colour. You may however, remove the background yourself, but be sure to save the image as a 32bit PNG file to ensure it retains its transparency.

• No watermarks, logos, signatures or other branding

Please ensure your photos are free from visual distractions.

• No Background Spill

“Spill” is the term used in film and photography when a background colour reflects onto a foreground element. For example: a minifigure photographed against a blue background has traces of blue along its boundary.

• No flash highlights

These are when the flash reflects off the minifigure causing white highlights or shines.

• Nothing too crude or offensive!

Keep your minifigure’s anitcs clever and tactful.

• Our decision is final

We decide which minifigures will appear in the skin and how they will be arranged.

Acknowledgement

Everybody who contributes minifigure photography will receive an acknowledgement in Announcement Thread when the skin is complete.

Upon request additional information can be included such your website, Deviant Art account, Facebook Page or other contact details.

Agreement

By submitting photos you grant us permission to use them in anyway we see fit (relating to the Forum Skin), for an indefinite period of time without expectation or requirement of compensation, remuneration or reward.

Do you mean something like this?

Yes, that's right. Except the shark would need to be entirely within the shot otherwise it will be lacking a tail!

Do you want minifig shots like this?

09.jpg

22.jpg

If you want I can provide you original HR pictures from all my reviews.

Hello Phes, not sure if I can help in this pooling, but I thought I might share some of the most Pirate related images, that I had taken in the past. If past images are not acceptable, I will find time to take some new ones, whenever possible. For your consideration. :sweet:

7871044016_267abe8046_o.jpg

5808675400_6ed7899cc2_o.jpg

5722589453_8a302fcab7_o.jpg

6073024101_5a0d14167d_o.jpg

7010239801_3e84324c83_o.jpg

6073543242_a6d8a6799a_o.jpg

How about something like this ?

PHOTO EDITED

The islanders welcome you to Classic Pirates :pir-laugh:

Or is that too much rock ?

Edited by Mister Phes

Take two. :classic:

Nailed it! Thank you for contributing. :thumbup:

Hello Phes, not sure if I can help in this pooling, but I thought I might share some of the most Pirate related images, that I had taken in the past. If past images are not acceptable, I will find time to take some new ones, whenever possible. For your consideration. :sweet:

Thank you, your photography is very good! The only problem is sometimes your watermark overlaps onto the minifigure, but there is still plenty of usable material in the photos.

How about something like this ? Or is that too much rock ?

Be interesting to see if that fits within the confines of banner height, but I can certainly play round with it.

Thank you for contributing!

I mainly take photos of minifigures in specially lit situations, so I think most of my Pirate minifigure photos wouldn't qualify for this. But here's a link in case you think any might work.

Edited by Walter

Thank you, your photography is very good! The only problem is sometimes your watermark overlaps onto the minifigure, but there is still plenty of usable material in the photos.

I have the original images with me, so if you identify any image that is of interest, I can re-edit them without the watermark, to assist in the new Pirate Skin.

Some more idea's :

bluecoats1.jpg

Bluecoats on expedition.

bluecoats2.jpg

redcoats1.jpg

Redcoats with a cannon.

redcoats2.jpg

treasure2.jpg

Pirates with treasure.

I have the original images with me, so if you identify any image that is of interest, I can re-edit them without the watermark, to assist in the new Pirate Skin.

Thank you sir!

Some more idea's :

These are great! Keep em comin!

I mainly take photos of minifigures in specially lit situations, so I think most of my Pirate minifigure photos wouldn't qualify for this. But here's a link in case you think any might work.

Thank you!

The islanders welcome you to Classic Pirates :pir-laugh:

By all means do more Islander variations - try some without the rock.

More Islanders it is:

PHOTOS EDITED

Edited by Mister Phes

Two questions:

What is the deadline for submissions?

Why are pirates from outside the caribbean being excluded?

Edited by kurigan

More Islanders it is:

Excellent - thank you!

What is the deadline for submissions?

There isn't a deadline as such, when there feels like enough photos the thread will close. Probably be another few weeks though.

Why are pirates from outside the caribbean being excluded?

The LEGO Pirates theme is focused upon the Caribbean...

Seems a little haphazard, but ok. I'll see what I can do to contribute in time as I would enjoy having a small part in this. As for theme focus, I alaways figured that was up for interpretation (particurally as Legos are all about imagination). Perhaps I missed something but, the characteristics of the earlier themes were not idiosyncratic to the Caribbean. Generally European to be sure, but that would certainly have warranted for contact with middle eastern or Asian people. To further my point, the islanders are distinctly more like Polynesian cultures than those of the West Indies. As long as you have the option open for custom mini-figures, it seems hypocritical to exclude those cultures one could reasonably imagine their generally European pirates/sailors coming into contact with. For my own part my limited custom work does not even include non-English seamen, so I have little steak in a change, I simply don't understand the policy.

I simply don't understand the policy.

It's actually very simple. Mister Phes is in charge of designing the Pirate forum graphics, so all choices/decisions related to this task are for him to make. So if he wants to focus on the Caribbean that's his call. That doesn't mean you don't bring valid arguments, but they are fit better in another forum discussion.

I simply don't understand the policy.

The idea is to have the banner represent each of the official LEGO Pirate Sub-themes. The problem without imposing restrictions is some people take too many liberties and go way off course, then we get too much of what we don't want.

We've already given plenty of leeway by allowing Dutch, Portuguese, East India Trading Company, Colonisation of Central America, undead pirates and the Mesoamerican Civilisations, but there has to be line drawn somewhere.

We also don't want too much overlap with the LEGO History Forum.

Example.png

Photo Edited. The pirate lords of the seven seas... welcome you to Classic Pirates :pir-grin:

cartographer1.jpg

Lost your way ? the cartographer will help.

hide.jpg

palmtree.jpg

Oh and someone should take a group picture of Redbeard, BrickBeard and the pirate captain from collectable minifigures :excited:

Edited by Mister Phes

We're need a lot more photos, so it appears we require some dedicated photographers to let into a hidden forum where all kinds of crazy experiments are being made! :pir_wacko:

I know it's not a minifig, but every pirate theme needs treasure, right ?

Looks great! :thumbup:

Edited by Grimmbeard