Teddy

MOC: BR01-1075

Update 10 October 2011:

Dear all,

last week I had some time to tweak my engine design.

I added an engine under the tender and updated the gearing in the boiler such that the big wheels and the small wheels cover the same distance per hour.

The result is smoother operation and increased speed:

The additional PF train motor which works in tandem with the two M-motors in the boiler located under the tender:

6231704858_a49e67dd76.jpg

Original post:

Dear all,

for the past month I have been building on and off on this MOC.

After being inspired by all the great Lego train builders such as SavatheAggie and Ben Beneke, I wanted to try my hand at building a train as well. This type train is also owned by the dutch steam association SSN and is a BR01-1075 and can be seen running around trainstations in the Netherlands and Germany. Thorsten Benter helped me in attaching rubber rings to the XL-BBB wheels for extra grip. The train is driven by two M-motors in the boiler and the battery pack is inside the tender. The scale is 1:45.

The slopes of the boiler containing the two M motors are stacked on a 4x4 stud core, making for a leaner boiler. The full resolution pics of the slide show can be found in my Flickr account: Link to flickr set

Mocpages:Link to Mocpages set

Brickshelf: Link to Brickshelf set

Kind regards,

Teddy

BR01-1075:

5304682876_6f41a6200e_z.jpg

Compared to the real deal:

5300842593_b268a83ccd_z.jpg

Slide Show:

5291379158_7d2b258d8b_z.jpg

5291379238_3b2fba9c72_z.jpg

5291379324_e86a08949f_z.jpg

5290776467_627305fbb3_z.jpg

5290776541_8c4a90e30e_z.jpg5291379542_6f7c0a064f_z.jpg5290776677_aa5bd9c9eb_z.jpg5291379694_141795e073_z.jpg5290776847_7a7f6a7001_z.jpg5290776919_660af23c30_z.jpg5290776985_81d8537b5d_z.jpg5290777087_45b3b8c3de_z.jpg5291380070_7defd6e776_z.jpg5291380154_5f13e91cd0_z.jpg5290777349_33c7c39f96_z.jpg5290777437_b48a686d92_z.jpg5290777517_f048542c18_z.jpg5290777599_52c3442908_z.jpg5290777649_cf26d6461f_z.jpg

Edit:

The movie was shot by my girlfriend her grandmother who was over to celebrate new years day with the family at our house.

My girlfriend her grandmother is a huge fan of my Lego creations and she also happens to be very tech savvy.

She shot it with her standard camera.

She mailed me the video a few days ago. Not via email but via an actual CD in the mail!

Along with other family movies and photos she shot that day.

Wow, this is awesome!! Is full of details, it's a masterpiece of engineering! :thumbup: clap clap.

Excellent teddy. This is one of the most impressive trains I have scene this year. The black colour looks really good and reminds me of trains I have seen before. You should be proud of this. Well done :thumbup:

Thanks for Sharing.

Hi all,

thank you very much for all the nice replies! It took me quite some time and iterations to get the train to its current form. So, I am really happy you all like it. :classic:

Kind regards,

Teddy

The attention to detail is brilliant and you have some innovative techniques to overcome the problems train builders face. Excellent work Teddy

You've showed it to me a couple of weeks back, and now we finally get a look at all the technical innovativness inside!

It's a brilliant model, very realistic! I also love the way you made the smoke screens on the front, very smart! Can't wait to see it in real! :thumbup:

It's a beautiful model you've built there, Teddy. Not only are details impressive, but the technical solutions and how you've integrated them and how they work. The picture of the engine in an S-curve shows this - it doesn't look like it was a large-radius locomotive crudely adapted to work in tight curves, but rather it looks like it is purposely built to handle them.

Yeah, it's beautiful.

Dear all,

After being inspired by all the great Lego train builders such as SavatheAggie and Ben Beneke, I wanted to try my hand at building a train as well. This type train is also owned by the dutch steam association SSN and is a BR01-1075 and can be seen running around trainstations in the Netherlands and Germany.

Hi Teddy,

I have been waiting for this - what a beauty!

For me, this is one of the most impressive LEGO steam locomotives I have seen in the past. It does perfectly combine brilliant solutions to the most challenging issues when building LEGO steamers, particularly German pre- and post war varieties:

All the detailing on the 7-wide scale (!) generating a perfect overall appearance. But much more impressive: All that wonderful technology to create a engine driven locomotive, the carefully adjusted pivot points, the PF motors in the boiler (!!!) - Wow.

Congratulations on your MOC, Teddy, this is a nice X-Mas surprise!!!

All the best,

Thorsten

Dear all,

thanks for all the nice replies on my MOC! :classic:

I added a comparison shot between my MOC and the real BR01 1075 enigine to the first post:

5300842593_b268a83ccd_z.jpg

You've showed it to me a couple of weeks back, and now we finally get a look at all the technical innovativness inside!

It's a brilliant model, very realistic! I also love the way you made the smoke screens on the front, very smart! Can't wait to see it in real! :thumbup:

Hi Captain Green Hair! Thanks for your reply. As you can see I changed the casing of the boogies under the tender since the last photos I showed you.

Hi Teddy,

I have been waiting for this - what a beauty!

For me, this is one of the most impressive LEGO steam locomotives I have seen in the past. It does perfectly combine brilliant solutions to the most challenging issues when building LEGO steamers, particularly German pre- and post war varieties:

All the detailing on the 7-wide scale (!) generating a perfect overall appearance. But much more impressive: All that wonderful technology to create a engine driven locomotive, the carefully adjusted pivot points, the PF motors in the boiler (!!!) - Wow.

Congratulations on your MOC, Teddy, this is a nice X-Mas surprise!!!

All the best,

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

thanks for your kind reply and thank you very much for helping me out with the O-rings on the BBB-XL wheels.

I will try to make a movie of the train running, although I do not own a descent camera I will do my best. :classic:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Dear all,

I watch for every new German steam train on flickr, MocPages and Brickshelf, and I'm pretty sure I've seen all of the ones from the past. Yours is among the best. I've spent almost 2 years tweaking my BR 50, and still have a long way to go. The fact that you have it running, with multiple power options, is testament to your natural talent as a builder. I'd be happy if I could do such a good mechanical job in a month, let alone your detailing which combines a high level of accuracy in the greebles, while preserving the clean lines of the boiler of the prototype.

If you were to completely emulate Ben and provide an LDraw file of your model I wouldn't even contemplate designing a BR01 (my plan after the BR50 is finished), I'd just build yours. In fact if you planned to sell the instructions like Sava, I'd be a buyer.

Edit: I just visited your ship WIP; do you mean to go to every theme and outdo the best builders? You've made a good start so far :classic:

Edited by peterab

Wow. Great detail. I love the pistons on the XL wheels. An awesome MOC.

Thanks Cinderbike! Glad you like it! :classic:

I watch for every new German steam train on flickr, MocPages and Brickshelf, and I'm pretty sure I've seen all of the ones from the past. Yours is among the best. I've spent almost 2 years tweaking my BR 50, and still have a long way to go. The fact that you have it running, with multiple power options, is testament to your natural talent as a builder. I'd be happy if I could do such a good mechanical job in a month, let alone your detailing which combines a high level of accuracy in the greebles, while preserving the clean lines of the boiler of the prototype.

If you were to completely emulate Ben and provide an LDraw file of your model I wouldn't even contemplate designing a BR01 (my plan after the BR50 is finished), I'd just build yours. In fact if you planned to sell the instructions like Sava, I'd be a buyer.

Edit: I just visited your ship WIP; do you mean to go to every theme and outdo the best builders? You've made a good start so far :classic:

Hi Petrab, I am glad you like my MOC. :classic:

Currently, I got several requests for instructions already and am contemplating making them.

But, I am a complete newby at LDraw and currently I have to finish my PhD and find a new job.

So it will probably be another three months or so before I have sufficient spare time to start such a new task.

Personally, I like a great many number of themes and like to build different things in Lego the best I can.

When I start a new project I scavenge the internet for photos of real life buildings or vehicles (whatever the project is) and put those in one folder. Than I flip through that folder repeatedly to build an image in my mind of what and how I want to build it.

For new building techniques and ideas I look at various Lego builds both official and MOCs, both related and non related to my project, and try to learn as much as possible from all the other Lego builders. After this tedious exercise, I start to build a first basic version of my current project MOC. Than I start an iteration process in which I try to mold the MOC further. Some MOCs take up to 20 iterations. So my goal is not to outdo other builders, but to learn from them and use that in my own builds. That way, I do not need to redo the same learning curve as they did. If my MOCs look good it is also a testament to all the great other builders from whom I learned by studying their Lego creations. :classic:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Currently, I got several requests for instructions already and am contemplating making them.

But, I am a complete newby at LDraw and currently I have to finish my PhD and find a new job.

So it will probably be another three months or so before I have sufficient spare time to start such a new task.

Hi Teddy,

well, got my PhD about two decades ago :sceptic: , found a decent job :classic: , and speak rather fluently LDraw or better MLCad :cry_happy: .

If you need any help here, I'd be happy to fill in. Furthermore, I believe that this model deserves more than "just" an LDraw mpd file to live in - a full instruction is what it deserves, similar to the BR23 instructions available on the RailBricks website. Will also be a couple of months for me but eventually ... the only thing I can't adjust to is charging for it :blush:

Best wishes,

Thorsten

Wow, I was blown away by all of the accurate detail before I even scrolled down and saw all of the engineering going on underneath... Holy cow. Combining both into the same package is an amazing achievement.

That would be great, and I'll be happy to see them no matter how long it takes.

Your design process seems similar to mine, just you seem to get better results quicker :sweet::-) Luckily I like the challenge so the time I'm spending is part of the enjoyment. Taking so long also avoids me having to invest in better camera gear :classic: Eventually I hope to post a bunch of mocs online but at the moment I'm still tinkering with most as I'm not completely happy. Most of the stuff I build remain part of my train layout so there's no rush for me to present them before I dismantle them.