Sign in to follow this  
Dennimator

MOC: Minifig-scale VW Beetle v2

I decided to revamp my old VW Beetle MOC completely. It is now 90% complete, and I feel like it deserves it´s own topic.

Now for the pics:

dsc02203.jpg

dsc02204.jpg

dsc02205.jpg

dsc02206.jpg

dsc02207.jpg

I am more happy with this MOC than with any other vehicle I´ve built, so IMO it turned out very well (and it´s not even 100% finished yet!).

Comments and constructive criticism welcome. :classic:

Ummm, AWESOME. I love this car, and you manged to legofy it perfectly, Can a minifig fit inside though? It looks perfect.

Ummm, AWESOME. I love this car, and you manged to legofy it perfectly, Can a minifig fit inside though? It looks perfect.

Thank you. :sweet:

No, unfortunately there´s no room for a minifig. :sceptic: I tried to make room, but that would mean rebuilding the whole structure, which is not possible without ruining the look of the MOC. So I chose beauty before functionality. :classic:

This is really great Dennimator!

Now I see what you needed the pieces for as well :wink:

Is it sturdy?

I can´t say I have seen many Beetles in this size, but man this one is awesome :wub:

I love the exhaust and the chrome stripe down the middle. :thumbup:

Thanks. :sweet:

This is really great Dennimator!

Now I see what you needed the pieces for as well :wink:

Is it sturdy?

I can´t say I have seen many Beetles in this size, but man this one is awesome :wub:

Yeah, it´s actually very sturdy, even though you might question that by the looks. And then you still haven´t seen the bottom of it, which looks really fragile... :wink:

Really nice! :thumbup: I like the technique you've used for the fenders. The curve for the front bonnet isn't quite right, but I don't think you could have done it better at this scale.

This takes me back to 1984 and my first car - white 1963 VW 1500 bettle ! :classic:

You have caught every aspect of this car, only the front bumper is missing !

AWESOME 'Dennimator' AWESOME ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! ! :grin:

Really nice! :thumbup: I like the technique you've used for the fenders. The curve for the front bonnet isn't quite right, but I don't think you could have done it better at this scale.

Thank you. :sweet:

Yeah I know the angle isn´t quite right, but as you said there´s not much to do about it at this scale. :classic:

This takes me back to 1984 and my first car - white 1963 VW 1500 bettle ! :classic:

You have caught every aspect of this car, only the front bumper is missing !

AWESOME 'Dennimator' AWESOME ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! ! :grin:

Yeah, as I said before it´s only 90% complete, some parts that will be added includes the missing bumper pieces. :blush: The blue and red flex tubes will be replaced as well, and the neck bracket at the rear.

Wow!

Well done at that scale! Love the knife as bumperhalf, guess you've put three more on order? :D

Some serious SNOT going on as well...

What about clear 1 x 2 x 1 panels for windows (or 1 x 4 x 1)? Perhaps that'd ruin rigidity but not do that much to the look?

Will there be double exhaust pipes in v3? That's one of the things I remember best of the Beetle, but I'm no connoisseur so perhaps that varies with different years.

Wow!

Well done at that scale! Love the knife as bumperhalf, guess you've put three more on order? :D

Some serious SNOT going on as well...

What about clear 1 x 2 x 1 panels for windows (or 1 x 4 x 1)? Perhaps that'd ruin rigidity but not do that much to the look?

Will there be double exhaust pipes in v3? That's one of the things I remember best of the Beetle, but I'm no connoisseur so perhaps that varies with different years.

Yup, I´m ordering some knives, as well as the other missing parts. :classic:

I tried the panels, and as you said, they didn´t do much to the look but made the Beetle alot more fragile.

There aren´t double exhaust pipees in all models, and I chose not to have double pipes, mostly because it´s easier to only add 1 pipe (hint: look at the Technic piece under the car in the rear pic). :wink:

I love the design and it REALLY looks like a beetle, but I can't get over the dagger used as the exhaust. I think the dagger can't be used as anything but a dagger, it's too specific. It looks like a dagger is stuck in the tailpipe.

Mmmmh, nice creation, no doubt about that. :thumbup:

BUT, it reminded me (especially when shown from the sides) more of a 2 CV. :blush:

CITROEN%202CV%2046%202CV%20kombi%200170-1187.jpg

I love the design and it REALLY looks like a beetle, but I can't get over the dagger used as the exhaust. I think the dagger can't be used as anything but a dagger, it's too specific. It looks like a dagger is stuck in the tailpipe.

Thanks. :sweet: The dagger isn´t the exhaust pipe though, it´s 1/2 of the bumper. I will add 3 more when I get the parts for it.. :wink:

Great! Looks like a real VW. :)

Thank you. :classic:

Mmmmh, nice creation, no doubt about that. :thumbup:

BUT, it reminded me (especially when shown from the sides) more of a 2 CV. :blush:

CITROEN%202CV%2046%202CV%20kombi%200170-1187.jpg

Thanks. :classic:

No, I would say, that Citroën looks like a VW Beetle! It´s a trap! (anyone who have seen Star wars and one of Louis de Funès' movies (can´t remember the name, but the one with the pink Cadillac) will understand this pun) :tongue:

Edit: The pun is explained in the opening scene of this vid (0.00-0.20):

Edited by Dennimator

This reminds me very, very much of Misterzumbi's version.

bug007.jpg

In fact it seems almost identical to his white version.

MOC or Someoneelse's Own Creation?

Tim

Edited by gambort

That`s the question :tongue:

Oh come on... It's not an exact copy... front windshield is different, and it doesn't have bumpers and exhaust tips (maybe because author of this "MOC" doesn't have enoguh pieces to make a perfect copy of Misterzumbi's VW?)

...author of this "MOC" doesn't have enoguh pieces to make a perfect copy of Misterzumbi's VW?)

...or all the colour variations.

But really, Dennimator, when you presented your "build-off" with Ralph and this MOC, you did mention that you'd gotten "a fair few ideas" and combined the best of them. I think we were all waiting for you to step forward and share some of your sources, which you never did. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but coming from someone who considers himself to be one of the few "known 5-wide builders", as I believe you'd commented earlier on someone else's MOC, you really should have given credit to the original authors of your ideas...

I didn't recognise that the idea how to mount the fenders on version 1 came from Mr Zumbi's Beetle. I do remember browsing brickshelf briefly, but consciously decided not to take a closer look at minifig scale Beetles when building mine for the little VW Beetle build challenge we had a few weeks ago as I wanted my model to be original.

However, I saw no problem with version 1 of Dennimator's Beetle being based on a combination of bits he liked from various other people's Beetles. I often use things that I know I've seen somewhere, but I can't put my finger on where they they came from. I'm picking up ideas all the time. However, if I do know where an idea came from, I generally will credit the builder of the original.

With the pictures posted by Gambort it is clear that version 2 is very similar to Mr. Zumbi's and giving some credit would be in order. There's no shame in admitting that you looked at somebody else for ideas.

Cheers,

Ralph

I didn't recognise that the idea how to mount the fenders on version 1 came from Mr Zumbi's Beetle. I do remember browsing brickshelf briefly, but consciously decided not to take a closer look at minifig scale Beetles when building mine for the little VW Beetle build challenge we had a few weeks ago as I wanted my model to be original.

However, I saw no problem with version 1 of Dennimator's Beetle being based on a combination of bits he liked from various other people's Beetles. I often use things that I know I've seen somewhere, but I can't put my finger on where they they came from. I'm picking up ideas all the time. However, if I do know where an idea came from, I generally will credit the builder of the original.

With the pictures posted by Gambort it is clear that version 2 is very similar to Mr. Zumbi's and giving some credit would be in order. There's no shame in admitting that you looked at somebody else for ideas.

Cheers,

Ralph

The fender mounting could, arguably, have been though up simultaneously and without knowing you took the idea it's an understandable lapse (if even a lapse).

The reversed cheese slope above the rear fender is not convergent evolution.

Tim

Yeah, you´re right guys. :blush:

I re-built the Beetle after a pic I took with my phone on misterzumbi´s Beetle. However, I didn´t save the pic on my computer or save the link in my 'Favourites' section, and when I searched BL to find the model I based it on, I couldn´t find it, and decided not to say anything because of that, as I didn´t know how to say it...

However, if I do know where an idea came from, I generally will credit the builder of the original.

Cheers,

Ralph

...making this the problem. I admit I should have said something like 'Based on a creation I saw on BS', but didn´t think of it whan I created the topic.

Again, I´m sorry. :blush:

Edited by Dennimator

Yeah, you´re right guys. :blush:

I re-built the Beetle after a pic I took with my phone on Gambort´s Beetle. However, I didn´t save the pic on my computer or save the link in my 'Favourites' section, and when I searched BL to find the model I based it on, I couldn´t find it, and decided not to say anything because of that, as I didn´t know how to say it...

...making this the problem. I admit I should have said something like 'Based on a creation I saw on BS', but didn´t think of it whan I created the topic.

Again, I´m sorry. :blush:

I'm sorry but this is not 'based on' misterzumbi's VW. It is a copy of it (well done btw, it's a complicated build) with some very minor changes. It is not even close to being your work. It's about 99% someone else and 1% you. The fact that you admit to knowing it wasn't yours but made no mention changes things. It means you knowingly plagiarised the work.

Please alter all references (like the main post here and the Brickshelf gallery) to it being your work and put it very clearly whose work it really is: misterzumbi's. I'm also sending a private message to the admins here to alert them to your plagiarism.

Tim

Dennimator: I think the lesson here is that many LEGO fans can easily recognize someone elses work, and when posting creations as your own, it steals credit from the originator of a design/MOC. As someone else mentioned above, there's no harm in admitting to copying someone elses design, but at the same time; as you can see in the responses, people don't like to see ideas taken without offering some credit. I won't comment further; as I think you've realized what you've done, but I would certainly be more careful in the future when posting something as your own creation without acknowledging the original creator in some way. I'm sure you would expect the same.