I built my Brickbeard's Bounty the other day, and it was cool, but not big enough.
When I was a kid, I remember just how huge the Black Seas Barracuda seemed, and I really wanted that experience again.
Of course, a lot of time has passed since then. I've grown up, and that memory has had 19 years to expand.
I need to make Brickbeard's Bounty much bigger!
My plan is to try to make Brickbeard's Bounty huge while maintaining a lot of the Lego system style. I do want to add details, not just empty space, but I don't want it to start looking like a historical recreation or a model. I just want an enormous Lego pirate ship.
First thing, I went shopping. I bought another Brickbeard's Bounty, about a $100 worth of misc new reddish brown bits on Bricklink, an anchor, and some various other ship parts. Also, I've got enough new and old pirates to comfortably crew this thing, and enough new pirate cannons to really arm it.
My rough plan is this:
- Expand the length of the ship - I will use three or possibly four hull middle sections, instead of the two current ones. I hesitate to use four because I don't want the ship to look too long for its width.
- Make the hull taller - In addition to the additional stackable hull end pieces I got with the second Brickbeard's Bounty, I ordered two more in one of my Bricklink orders. Those combined with the extra reddish brown bricks I got will really let me bulk up the hull. Also, I need to make sure that I don't just make the ship look like its floating too high in the water.
- A third main mast - I want to add a taller third mast, one with three sails. I plan to add it between the two smaller masts, unless there's a good reason to put it in front or back.
- A small rear mast - Basically like the one on the Skull's Eye Schooner. I will probably remove the cannon from on top of the cabin to make some room for this.
- More guns - I want four cannons on each side, and maybe five if I end up with four hull middle sections. I think I might place them higher than they are now, but below deck. If I put them on deck, they will take up practically the whole deck which isn't very exciting. I might make a few of them accessable from the top, like on the Black Seas Barracuda.
- More details on the deck - I need to put some stuff on the deck to spruce it up and keep it interesting once the cannons are below deck. I think I'm going to cover part of the hold with a grate like on the Durmstrang Ship (or even on the Red Beard Runner). I always thought that looked good.
- Expand the cabin - I'm actually pretty happy with the look of the cabin right now. I just need to make sure it still scales correctly. Plus, I'll add some more stuff to the deck on top of the cabin like a sextant and a compass.
- Add one or two small boats - I'm going to add one or two small row boats for the crew. I just don't know where to store them. I could possibly make room below deck, but that doesn't seem really practical. If I go with one, I could hang it behind the ship like on the Skull's Eye Schooner, but I don't really like the way that looks. I could also hang them along the side, possibly beside and slightly below the cabin. I think that might be the most practical, but I don't think it would look great.
- Masts - I like the new style of masts (using tubing) as opposed to the old masts. I still might add an old mast platform to my big mast, but in general, I don't want to switch over to old style masts.
- Cabin - I like the general shape and style of the cabin. I really don't want to alter it much if I don't have to.
- Bow - I like the existing bow and the set up with the front sail. I want to keep that intact. The mermaid is also staying, but she might get a Brick Forge trident instead of her sword.
- Color scheme - I like the colors that Lego used, and I plan to maintain the basic palette.
- General aesthetic - This is the most important thing! I really want to keep this looking like a Lego system, minifig scale pirate ship. Sure, it may dwarf my Black Seas Barracuda when I'm done, but I don't want it to make the Barracuda look totally silly either.
It will be a bit before I can get too deep into this because my Bricklink orders likely won't get here until late this week or early next. Also, I've got major tests from the 10th to the 17th, which will take up most of that time, plus a good amount of study time leading up to those days. (I'm in law school, which is a post-grad program in America, and must more time consuming than normal undergrad work)
Of course, I will post pictures when I finish. I'll try to take pictures as I work too, especially if I hit any cool milestones.
Edited by Dr Lucky, 01 December 2008 - 11:25 AM.