Drizzt

How do you MOC?

I am putting this out there to see what are people's preferred method is for creating MOCs.

Do you build it in LDD (or any other computer aided design), sketch out a drawing, or just build and let the bricks do the talking?

People try different approaches. They are all good, and they serve different purposes.

I preffer just starting building, then discovering some interesting connection, trying to pursue it, then discovering something else interesting, usually ending up building something totally different than i initialy indended :)

Edited by jetboy

I use both to complement each other. I make a rough sketch in LDD than refine it IRL and than finish the LDD model. But it depends... The FOX was the first model to be actually 100% made in LDD before the real deal, with only minir refinements later done. Some models of mine dont even have an LDD file, but I try to keep digital models in most of them so I can share them or have a reference if I ever decide to rebuild them.

I use both to complement each other. I make a rough sketch in LDD than refine it IRL and than finish the LDD model. But it depends... The FOX was the first model to be actually 100% made in LDD before the real deal, with only minir refinements later done. Some models of mine dont even have an LDD file, but I try to keep digital models in most of them so I can share them or have a reference if I ever decide to rebuild them.

I like this method and have used it on some of my small builds. I figure on some of the larger or more specific builds the LDD route allows one to really plan out how the idea will look. That or someone with a very large and organized collection of bricks.

Whereas, I don't have as many bricks as some AFOLs, I have been working on building a collection and organizing it. When I work on MOCs, I literally just use the pieces available to me in my parts collection. I'll think of an idea and just try to accomplish it the best I can with what I have, regardless of if another brick would be a better choice.

To me, making the desicions with a limited palet can be more fun than working in systems where all options are available. As I collect, this process gets easier, but I know I'll never get to a point where I have every brick I could need.

I'm also a blended approach guy. Depending on the model, especially if it's not meant to end up particularly large, I just "hit the bricks" as it were and see what happens. If it's something that I'm finding challenging to conceptualize or that I don't have enough parts to prototype, then I fire up MLCAD and take advantage of the unlimited parts palette and supply to work things out. Or, if it will be a large MOC that has some repetition (a large building or ship's hull, that kind of thing) I may start with real bricks to work out some of the rough dimensions and SNOT angles and whatnot, but then replicate those specific features and then complete the rest on the computer so I can get a reasonably accurate parts count if it looks like I'll need to place an order to complete the project. The one thing I don't do is sketches beforehand... but mainly because I'm fairly awful at drawing. ;)

I am old school. I run the idea through my head and then realize it in real bricks.

I just mess around with spare bricks until I develop some sort of vision for the project, then I go into LDD, enter the bricks I have and work from there.

I am old school. I run the idea through my head and then realize it in real bricks.

Same here! And the visualising part is harder as my MOC transforms, as long as I failed to visualise the core transformation to be viable... I wont be touching my bricks to kick off on MOCing any Transformers. LUckily my brain is running wild all the time , even minutes before I dozed off.

I have tried to use LDD a couple of times, but I have never really succeeded. Hence I also use my head and bricks to create and materialize my ideas. To remember ideas, I make a sketch on a piece of paper with a squared grid. It can roughly make it out for being LEGO.

It's quite impressive what people can do with buildings in LDD. But I think it's more funny to brickbuild ideas - and see them.

Since I am just getting back in to Lego I do not have enough random bricks and parts to just sit down and build. I have really been enjoying playing around with LDD. I used it to help me make a clone of the SDCC Batmobile.

I use LDD for almost all of my creations but there are a few WIPs lying around that rely on flex tube. I used to draw MOCs all the time before starting on them, now I just draw the more complex ones to help with planning.