Sign in to follow this  
896gerard

[MOC] Lego Technic outdoor 4x4 Jeep hill climber

I have built a lightweight 4x4 car that also performs quite well on hills. 50 degree hills, actually. It has been optimized for weight. It is driven by 2L motors, steered by one M-motor and powered by the 8878 battery. I have added an extensive review on http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/400971, so if you have a question maybe the answer is there.

896gerard_litejeep3.jpg

896gerard_litejeep4.jpg

The climbing performance is quite remarkable. Have you done any tests with any balloon tires?

Also, the lower part of the body looks like it is designed to float :classic:

I have done tests with balloon tires, but the torque was insufficient and they hit the bodywork all time. Also, they made the car look very small. Therefore, if balloon tires have to be mounted, the model should be changed completely. Yes, it indeed looks like a boat but that looks nice.

Not sure if the traction is the key limiting factor. Available torque may be as well, unless one runs motors in parallel (as done on the power-puller) to increase torque, assuming the drive-train components (gears and axles) can sustain it.

When i first saw the body, i thought of this kind of Zaporozhets.

http://upload.wikime...0px-Zaz968m.jpg

That is an amazing fit! It really is a 'fit' because I have built this jeep without using any car images or brands. It is just a 'design by me', a way of building Lego I like very much because it gives freedom to build. It is a more difficult way, because you've got no idea how it should look like (when building a model, you do know) so it's a trial and error process (and off course, experience comes in handy...).