TheGreatSpirit

Favorite "obscure" constraction theme?

As we all know, Bionicle and Hero Factory are easily the most popular construction themes TLG has ever made. However, there were also quite a few lines that also utilized an action figure build, such as Chima Constraction, Ben 10, the-line-that-shall-not-be-named, etc.

Basically, my question is which of these lines are your favorite. As for me, it would be Ben 10, just because it was a sort of "mediator" between the old 2008 ball and socket joints and the 2011 Hero Factory ones.

Please post your favorite of these other lines, and give a reason. Feel free to post your least favorite as well, if you like :tongue:

And as always, please don't turn this into a flame war. Please? :blush:

chima constraction, because they're cool for me, especially the new fire vs ice theme. and each one of them has a unique head mold.

I agree, Chima constraction is a great theme, I like how the "new" building system can make organic beings as well as robots.

Galidor, i might be the only one saying it, but i actually kinda liked Galidor

fear1.jpg

But in all seriousness though, I can sort of relate to that.... after all, I picked Ben 10, and those weren't all that great :sceptic:

Galidor, i might be the only one saying it, but i actually kinda liked Galidor

As do I.

I'd say Throwbots, but I don't think they're all that "obscure".

Otherwise I didn't really get into the lesser-known Constraction lines. I was pretty much a Bionicle kid all my life.

Knights Kingdom.

That is also my favorite. Galidor is my second favorite. Sadly I never owned any of the Knights Kingdom figures.

I'd actually say the Marvel/DC superheroes lineup, but more for the concept than the actual execution. I think there needed to be miles of improvement before I'd ever consider paying the licensed prices for them, but I really would have liked to see more characters released, and improve upon previous versions. I like action figures such as DC Universe Classics, and I'd like to see them translated to contraction figures. The "buildable" figures we sometimes see right now, such as the mix-n-match iron man figures they had for IM3 are utter crap.

I liked the Slizers for the concept (I got into Bionicle because of them), design-wise they're outdated now but there are some really cool concepts that I'd like to see again (like Turbo, Flare and Energy).

Build, parts and (some of them) design wise, the Chima and Super Heroes Ultrabuilds are definitely my favourite ones. They act like a nice support for the parts we get in HF and provide some solid designs that tend to be more meaty and complete than the HF sets (especially as far Brain Attack goes).

The others...weren't so good. Roboriders had some cool pieces but I wasn't hot on the bike designs. KK, Ben 10 and Ga that 2002 line just weren't interesting enough to me- the fact that Bionicle sets always trumped them in overall quality and parts useability didn't help.

I've been a Bionicle fan ever since I chased a Manas across the floor when I was two years old, but besides that I kinda like the RoboRiders, always thought the wheel designs were awesome.

I'd say Throwbots, but I don't think they're all that "obscure".

Otherwise I didn't really get into the lesser-known Constraction lines. I was pretty much a Bionicle kid all my life.

By "obscure" I basically meant anything other than Hero Factory or Bionicle, hence the quotations around "obscure" :tongue:

Something really obscure would be those dinosaur action figures I didn't know existed until very recently.

I still don't really get why we tread the name of Galidor like its voldemort, what do we all have against it?

I've messed with a couple of them, and I'd have to say that I really loved the personality behind the Slizers, and I think the story was certainly going somewhere when it was terminated.

Galidor. They may not have been what you expect when you buy a Lego set but look past that and you'll find that they're higher quality than most action figures aimed at children. And the show wasn't that bad either.

I've been kicking around an idea for a minifig-scale Galidor project for Lego Ideas for a while now. Hoping to have it done in time for the theme's fifteenth anniversary in 2017.

Definitely BIONICLE and Legends of Chima, I remember when I was 6 1/2 years old when I got my very first LEGO set (8570 Gali Nuva),

Ahh good times.. :classic:

Definitely BIONICLE and Legends of Chima, I remember when I was 6 1/2 years old when I got my very first LEGO set (8570 Gali Nuva),

Dude. Obscure constraction line, meanin not Bionicle or Hero Factory. Chima does count as obscure to some degree though.

Edited by Jetrax99

Dude. Obscure constraction line, meanin not Bionicle or Hero Factory. Chima does count as obscure to some degree though.

Ah sorry... They're just my favoritter, but Galidor is definitely the most obscure action figure theme ever. Sorry for that! :P

Edited by Chimaninja454

The Knights Kingdom big-figs were pretty cool. I remember making up ridiculous stories where Vladek used magic to make himself a giant. :grin:

But if they count, I'll have to choose the 2001 Dinosaurs theme. That big Lego T-Rex was just the best thing ever to 7 year old me.

The only one I missed out on was Galidor. If Knights Kingdom bigfigs are counting as Constraction figures, would Exo-Force count as well (since it's kinda similar to this year's Hero Factory)?

(though...I wouldn't exactly call Exo Force my favorite theme. I liked the premise, but by the time they killed the line, it had felt like each year was a rehash of the previous a little bit....)

I sure did love Throwbots/Slizers, though. I bought two of each set (mostly to get rid of the gimmick arms...) I'd really love to see Lego do a homage to the theme with a Throwbot/Robo-Rider duo set.

Edited by Taaron

Star Wars TECHNIC sets (do they count as action figures? I think they do...)

Edited by Voxovan