The Jersey Brick Guy

Lego Baseplate Price increasing.

I just saw on Instagram that the price for baseplates are going up to $7.99 from $4.99 here in the US.

Everyone is either already sold out of their baseplates or already selling the stock they have at the new price.

That's quite the increase no?

Yes, definitely a touch above inflation. I hope pick-a-brick, both in store and online, does not follow suit.

$7.99 is the current price in Canada. Price matching?

Don't kid yourself, we will get shafted soon enough.

Yeah, there's no way I'm paying $8 for baseplates. If this is true, I won't be buying them from the Lego Store or S@H anymore.

This doesn't sound right to me. The 2015 48x48 baseplates are listed at $15.

Your just now starting to see the European pricing cross over the pond, £4.99 for a 32 x 32 green or blue baseplate in the UK, and £10.99 for a pair of road plates.

I agree, I think they have been priced out side what most will pay, but if you've got to have them.......

I just wish you could buy the 32 x 32 in more colours off the shelf, especially white, brown and tan.

Can anyone explain why baseplates have been... so "expensive"? At least to me, I always found them to be too pricey for what they are.

I thought the Uk price was £6-99 for the 32x32 baseplates, although Amazon sometimes sells at £4-99. Wish i'd bought some sooner

Lol, your right, shows how long ago I bought them,

I guess they may be coming to an end. I don't know anything sales-wise, but there are less and less set-wise.

I just saw on Instagram that the price for baseplates are going up to $7.99 from $4.99 here in the US.

GUH!!! 5 bucks for a plate is a decent price taking into account the amount of plastic needed. 8 bucks for one is just to much!

Yeah, there's no way I'm paying $8 for baseplates. If this is true, I won't be buying them from the Lego Store or S@H anymore.

This doesn't sound right to me. The 2015 48x48 baseplates are listed at $15.

Regardless if it doesn't sound "right" to you, I saw the picture from the catalog.

http://instagram.com/p/xIF25wxRgF/?modal=true <-- The proof.

Looks like the 2015 base plates have new part numbers. The old ones (620, 626, 628) seem to be discounted and sold out on S@H. What's new with the new ones? Is it a new mold?

Regardless if it doesn't sound "right" to you, I saw the picture from the catalog.

http://instagram.com...RgF/?modal=true <-- The proof.

Wow. That's completely ridiculous. I can tell you right now I won't be buying baseplates at retail price ever again.

I don't understand why they think they could raise the price that high without losing sales.

Looks like the 2015 base plates have new part numbers. The old ones (620, 626, 628) seem to be discounted and sold out on S@H. What's new with the new ones? Is it a new mold?

They're being rebranded under the "Classics" theme. I don't think they're new molds (although that would be nice because the current ones have very little clutch power). They're being sold with a different label, so the number is changing.

Here are some high resolution pictures:

http://cache.lego.com/r/dynamic/is/image/LEGO/10699?hei=10000&wid=10000&fit=constrain,0&fmt=png

http://cache.lego.com/r/dynamic/is/image/LEGO/10699_alt1?hei=10000&wid=10000&fit=constrain,0&fmt=png

http://cache.lego.com/r/dynamic/is/image/LEGO/10700?hei=10000&wid=10000&fit=constrain,0&fmt=png

http://cache.lego.com/r/dynamic/is/image/LEGO/10700_alt1?hei=10000&wid=10000&fit=constrain,0&fmt=png

Good thing I went to the Lego Store to pick up five more at $5 each. Almost doubling the price on us. And look at the brick separator...2.49 each. You get it included in big sets.

Glad I grabbed some when I did, my work was selling them for 4.99 for quite a while, and I get 20% off LEGO. So I got quite a few for 4 bucks, and no need for shipping as I could pick them up at the front desk.

Now I wish I had bought a few cases at that price.

Pfft, the price have been 69DKR in Denmark (you know the country that actually produces the darn bricks) for ages .. that is :

11.31US$ !

But I guess that price is going up to 110DKR/18US$ then :devil: This is made of pure stupid. TLG have had some +40 years to pay of those molding machines

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot :thumbdown:

Actually I read somewhere that baseplates are not made by traditional molding machines but are vacuum-formed. In any case one would assume that all molds need to be replaced eventually so they may not have paid off those molding machines. :wink:

Don't kid yourself, we will get shafted soon enough.

Oh gosh. The tan 32X32 baseplate is going to be $9.99 CDN, could that mean that all the others will go up to that price too? *oh2*

Yes, they're vacuumformed. I'm quite sure the machine have paid for itself by now and it does not replacing unless it breaks down. It's the actual molds that needs replacing :wink:

Oh gosh. The tan 32X32 baseplate is going to be $9.99 CDN, could that mean that all the others will go up to that price too? *oh2*

did you see them for that price? if so, where?

Those prices aren't that bad compared to how Canadians get gouged. It's $19.99 for a 48x48 baseplate, same for pack of two road plates. The tan and green base plates will be about $9.99. Wal-mart used to sell the green in Canada for 7.26 then up'em to 8.26. I don't like where the trend is heading. Why are we paying more? I've been trying to assess what the justification is? Now blue base plates are being discontinued too...