kyphur

Layout WIP: I've finally started a real layout!

Easy solution for the TXX - ignore it and put your Maersk cars on shared bogies. :wink:

I've got a design I use everywhere I can as it saves two wheelsets and two buffers for every shared bogie. Reduced no. of wheelsets = lower friction = more cars in train. :thumbup:

Edited by Snapshot

I really enjoy reading all your plans and the ideas given to you by other people.

And I am jealous of the room you have to build it all.

Way back in the day when I used to build with my Lego I was rally fond of trains.

I tried to find a picture of my elevated station with a busterminal beneath it but like so many things I probably

didn't take a picture.

Maybe you could use your tunnel as part of a elevated station? (just a suggestion). Then you could let a road pass underneath it beside the tunneltrack.

But keep up the good work and I am certainly coming to watch how it is going.

Easy solution for the TXX - ignore it and put your Maersk cars on shared bogies. :wink:

I've got a design I use everywhere I can as it saves two wheelsets and two buffers for every shared bogie. Reduced no. of wheelsets = lower friction = more cars in train. :thumbup:

Can we see this design?

how did I miss this thread! great job I read through all and wow 333 baseplates!! boggles the mind :wacko:

Does that include the street baseplates, $15 for one straight, the others includes are ok but straight is more needed.

I agree the Super Chief is a great train, wish I had the passenger cars because once you get the engine it feels incomplete :laugh:

the BNSF looks great but it is a nightmare to convert to PF, mine just sits as a show model on the switch track mainly. :sceptic:

I want to take advantage of the TRU BOGO but all the good train sets are sold out, :sick:

Does that include the street baseplates, $15 for one straight, the others includes are ok but straight is more needed.

After a lot of thinking & a bit of "Putting Rubber to Roadplates" I've decided that I don't like the Roadplates and will be paving my roads with tiles!

I'll use Light Bl-Gray for Concrete Roads and Dark Bl-Gray for Asphalt. This will allow for better curbs and sewer grates plus I can engineer unique roadways (like medians and such if I want.

I agree the Super Chief is a great train, wish I had the passenger cars because once you get the engine it feels incomplete

Well you could always build the rolling stock using the new grays. It would still look great and be a fraction of the cost (but still expensive).

Even though I have all of the official cars and a custom EMD-B unit I'm seriously considering copying my whole Super Chief Train with the new grays

After a lot of thinking & a bit of "Putting Rubber to Roadplates" I've decided that I don't like the Roadplates and will be paving my roads with tiles!

I'll use Light Bl-Gray for Concrete Roads and Dark Bl-Gray for Asphalt. This will allow for better curbs and sewer grates plus I can engineer unique roadways (like medians and such if I want.

Well you could always build the rolling stock using the new grays. It would still look great and be a fraction of the cost (but still expensive).

Even though I have all of the official cars and a custom EMD-B unit I'm seriously considering copying my whole Super Chief Train with the new grays

it would be cool if the next AFOL Train was an updated Super Chief w/cars. :oh:

it would be cool if the next AFOL Train was an updated Super Chief w/cars. :oh:

for sure, with the Emerald on the way out and the Maersk likely a short-run, there must be something in the works. An updated Super Chief would be perfect, although they probably would only do the loco and 1 or 2 cars. Seems like the experiment to sell car-packs wasnt profitable enough.

Minor update:

The 1/4 inch hardboard base layer has arrived at the house today! The sheets are all cut to proper size and I'll begin moving them into the basement tonight so I can position them on top of the tables.

The next step will be to layout the baseplates that will hold the main loop of track.

After that I'll start laying down the track ballast and the track.

There will be updated pics before the first of the year.

BTW, The size has increased to 19 tables!

I've got the hardboard sub-surface down on 13 of the tables and I've run a loop around the tables.

I need to get more green 32 x 32 baseplates!

I did rebuild the inclines and put my bridge in the middle of them.

Here is a link to the video of my Super Chief with 2 Engines (1 A and 1 B Unit) and 6 cars (the 5 official cars and my Modded version of James Mathis' Pleasure Dome) going up one side over the bridge and down the other side.

My B-unit has 2 PF Train Motors and the o-rings are upgraded.

The incline is 2 plates for each section of track (16 studs length).

You can see that I've also begun ballasting my track.

Edited by kyphur

Nice update Kyphur. Thanks for posting a video. The Superchief looks great. The trainbridge looks very cool.

There is a LOT of empty space still.... :tongue:

I'm very jealous at how much space you have for your layout. I guess I need to think about spending less on brick and

more on the renovations at my house so I can actually use the shed as a workshop, and perhaps make my attic more accessible.

:wacko:

After many more hours of fiddling here's my progress report:

6651875713_b59baeb106_z.jpg

6651877829_45dbeac762_z.jpg

6651877255_99525b9c0f_z.jpg

I have 15 tables covered with the hardboard and the perimeter track (my main loop) laid with basic ballasting. When I add the 2 additional tables for the City I will extend the perimeter track around them.

The Wye and Switching Yard track is all installed but mostly not ballasted yet.

It's funny how you spend a couple of months buying up parts but once you start building the layout you run out so quickly!

I need more baseplates, track and 2 by plates (for ballasting) for starters but I still have a little of each.

There are a few more pics here: Flicker Set

Nice update =]

Now struggling to get some buildings....Hope next semester could layout it in the new room haha =] sept...

Update: My order of 120 Baseplates arrived today...

Here are the boxes:

6763264403_f48539dc28.jpg

I'm busy plating under the switching yard now...

This weekend I'm getting 3 more packs of track (Straight & Flex) plus I've ordered another 64 pieces of Flex with a Bricklink order.

I'm also getting my first Modular Building this weekend, the Fire Brigade.

Edited by kyphur

Wow!!! thats a nice pile of baseplates in those boxes....

*huh*

I think if I put in an order like that, my wife would kill me.

:oh:

Have fun. Can't wait to see an update on the layout when you get to it.

Jealousy is starting to build up on me every time I see one of your update photos, lol just kidding. Jokes aside, I think your layout is turning out great and make sure to keep up the good work and providing more updates! I can't believe you spent $600 on baseplates alone... If you have a LEGO store near you, I heard that some of the managers gives out discounts to bulk buyers like yourself. I myself might also be getting my first modular like you, I already missed out on 3 of the modular building, and I certainly won't want to miss out on a fourth. Anyways, I love your layout and I am looking forward to your future updates.

-Brandon

Here is the switching yard fully plated (90 32x32 Green Baseplates)!

6764117185_8356e82d1a_z.jpg

Nice update, kyphur.

Really improves the look of the yard and now you've got a nice stud base to add the little details later on.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Here is the switching yard fully plated (90 32x32 Green Baseplates)!

6764117185_8356e82d1a_z.jpg

Looks great... you should connect the green baseplates with green plates as well... i use simple 2 x 2 plates for conncting any baseplate, but in the right colour... Its just a detail, but an important one...

I'll keep on following your improvements!!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Hi kyphur

I've been following this thread for a few weeks now and I really enjoy it. It's huuuuge :d

With the MOCs I've seen from you in other threads, it looks very promising. I'm eager to see the progress you'll make.

Really improves the look of the yard and now you've got a nice stud base to add the little details later on.

Yeah, the solid base of studs does make a huge difference. I wasn't really sure if the baseplates would be worth the investment (over 300 in total to plate the whole layout!) until I finished this last night. I still need to finalize my ballasting plan but I think it'll be 2 plates high with the lower layer being Dark gray and the second layer being light gray. I'll then pepper in some black, dark gray, white and even green with a few other odd colors here and there 1x1 round plates to add dimension.

you should connect the green baseplates with green plates as well... i use simple 2 x 2 plates for conncting any baseplate, but in the right colour...

Okay, now you're just being silly... (ha ha ha) Of course the off color plates are just temporary. Since we know there's a slight gap between the baseplates when attached properly I needed something to hold them together properly until I get all of the green plates for that job.

I've been following this thread for a few weeks now and I really enjoy it. It's huuuuge :d

With the MOCs I've seen from you in other threads, it looks very promising. I'm eager to see the progress you'll make.

Thanks for the compliments. So far none of my MOCs have been anything special (very complicated) but I do think they are effective. They also fit into my "Big Plan" quite well. I wonder if the guys in the other thread (about LEGO Train being "Real" Model Trains/RailRoad) would consider this layout a "Real" Model Railroad? I don't really care if anyone else thinks it is, I know that I'll need a train engineer's hat once I've got the yard complete with offices, truck garage, warehouse and all of the expected facilities a Railroad needs in the yard.