Darth Nihilus

Monster Fighters 2012

there seems to be a glowy relic piece in each set, with te castle featuring all five(?) colours in the main window.

I, for one, LOVE the new fishman, the glow-in-the-dark skellie horse and the Castlevania Dracula's castle. The Ghost Train is also spectacular, featuring a new ghost shroud! I'm really digging the crossbow and the human figs- it's a nice return to wacky themes, and I can definitely see the comparison with the Time theme of old.

there seems to be a glowy relic piece in each set, with te castle featuring all five(?) colours in the main window.

I, for one, LOVE the new fishman, the glow-in-the-dark skellie horse and the Castlevania Dracula's castle. The Ghost Train is also spectacular, featuring a new ghost shroud! I'm really digging the crossbow and the human figs- it's a nice return to wacky themes, and I can definitely see the comparison with the Time theme of old.

Just posted about the 5 mysterious glowing pieces, heh. I have to agree with you all the way. I REALLY, REALLY hope the skull horse ACTUALLY glows in the dark. Kids would love that.

-Sci

There are quite a few things that I love about this series: The Ghosts, The Fishman, The skeleton horse. But, I don't know if I am willing to spend money on these sets when I'm already going to have a very expensive year (LOTR, Superheroes, CMF 7, Flying Dutchman.....)!!!!

WOW! The good news just keeps rolling in (well good for me, bad for my wallet, what with LoTR, Friends, and PoTC, among others)! I'm not exactly a HUGE horror fan myself, but as has been said before many times, most of these monsters would fit in with any fantasy-type setting, and I just love the whole Adventurer's vibe going on with the vehicles (most of my cars are of the Adventurer's/Pharoh's Quest style), and am always on the lookout for more!

...Especially the Vampire's Hearse: Whoever it was that said it looked like the Dragula (the Munster's Car) was spot on (and Rob Zombie's song based on said car started playing in my head when I saw it). Also, is it just me, or does Mr. Bowler hat look rather like Jude Law's Dr. Watson from the latest Sherlock Holmes movies? Now I'm going to HAVE to get a Series 5 Detective so I can have Holmes and Watson in my collection. :tongue:

All in all, an interesting concept and some nifty sets and vehicles, although at this current stage, I'll have to agree that there IS a bit of a "Time Cruisers" vibe going on, but I will add that firstly, people should remember that these are very preliminary pictures and secondly, from what I remember, these sets are NOWHERE NEAR as random/slip-shoddy looking as the Time Cruisers/Time Twisters sets (I was active during that dark, dark era of LEGO sets)...

Vampire.png

If you look REEEEEALLL closely, it says "VAMPIRE AND HIS BRIDE!" (Thanks Haltiamieli :tongue: )

EDIT: Anyone notice in 9462 how the woman has the Cave Woman's hair, and it has a spear (shiny one from 2000) in her hair? Creative! Also, in every set there's a glowy spearhead-shaped thing...maybe another Atlantis type thing?

-Sci

Yeah I mentioned that (except the spear thing) back in my post :D But I don't know why the figure with the brown cave woman's hair looks like an asiatic male to me :wacko: but that's me, I'm crazy. There's also a girl with the cave woman's hair(orange) in the train set (she looks like flying/jumping or something) :tongue:

I hope the mummy in 9462, isn't a mummy in the final product. Like someone said, a (pumpkin head/headless guy?) would be nice!

Edited by Otherworld

I get the feeling that these sets are really aimed at AFOLs as I seriously don't think a great many kids these days are even into the classic monsters as much as most adults save for seasonal interest during Halloween. Maybe it's more a boy thing as I only have a young daughter, and she's not really into spooky stuff like that.

I don't think it's just adults. I think kids are into variations of the classic monsters more than they have been for decades. Everything supernatural is cool these days. Monster High is one of the big brands for girls right now - its heroes are teenaged girls whose parents were the Universal monsters. Van Helsing, the Mummy series, the Twilight books and the Internet-devouring zombie meme have made all these monsters cool again. Kids are all about the zombie apocalypse now, Daddy-O!

Then again, I have a daughter who keeps on begging me to feel the CMF packets so I can find her a Dark Dwarf - it's the ONLY CMF she wants - so my viewpoint may be skewed. "Normal" does not run in the family here.

Edited by Gryphon Ink

I love how this theme seems like a throwback to the monsters from the Studios sets from awhile back. I have/had all of them except the Frankenstein lab. Oh how much I wanted that set!

What I don't like about these sets, like a good chunk of people here, is that CM figures are in the sets. They seem like they're just placeholders for right now, but since the figs are so clear in the prelim pictures it makes you wonder.

Definite buys for me would be the Swamp Monster/creature set and the werewolf set along with the zombie set (do we have pictures of said set?), just as long as they're under $30 each.

Sadly no, no images of the zombie set yet. Although if the CFM is any indication, the set is almost guaranteed to be a best seller :tongue:

Interesting. The swamp creature is awesome. Far too soon to be passing judgement really but the pictures show the sets have potential. I think Lego could have just put the monsters out and they'd sell. the addition of monster fighters seems superfluous to me. I'm seeing straight past them to the monsters and brick built structures. I'm guessing this will be a one series shot. These sets a couple of polybags and one of these sets will be exclusive. Probably the swamp creature one everyone will want.

The theme idea itself is fantastic, but I don't like these preliminaries very much.

Even tho I am always looking for monstrous minifigs to use in Dungeons & Dragons games, I don't see the point in buying any of these sets except maybe the one with the swamp monster since the minifig is the best of the bunch (except the vampires, but I already have enough from CMF Series 2) and it will be probably only a 7-10e set. The structures use IMHO too many boring parts and colours. I hope the zombies set will be within 30e and has at least 3 of them, or 20e for 2 of them, or at least I hope they don't put more than 1 monster hunter.

Lego needs to stop reusing the Collectable Minifigures. You have Vampire, Frankie, Mummy, and Crazy Scientist from this theme, the Cheerleader and Skater in the calendar. WHAT PART OF COLLECTABLE DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND, LEGO?

:angry:[Rant, Rant, Rant]:angry:

Lego needs to stop reusing the Collectable Minifigures. You have Vampire, Frankie, Mummy, and Crazy Scientist from this theme, the Cheerleader and Skater in the calendar. WHAT PART OF COLLECTABLE DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND, LEGO?

:angry:[Rant, Rant, Rant]:angry:

Remember, the CMFs in these sets are probably just placeholders- these are just preliminary pictures, after all.

Back on topic, now I just realized how cool the Dracula's Bride minifigure looks. :blush:

Remember, the CMFs in these sets are probably just placeholders- these are just preliminary pictures, after all.

Back on topic, now I just realized how cool the Dracula's Bride minifigure looks. :blush:

Indeed.

Everyone. Please engage your brain before you rant too much. The minifigures are placeholders. There to illustrate what character and how many figures will be in the set. New prints, colours and parts often turn up in these sets after the prelims are seen. Vastly different ones.

So, STOP. Think. Check. Then reply.

Thank you.

I can't understand why a lot of people are looking straight to the minifigures, especially the monsters, and disregarding the rest. I am very into minifigures myself, but it's not the monsters that attracted me at all, especially not the swamp thing. What I love is the different motor vehicles and the castle. I love Adventurers style cars, as the car in the werewolf set looks to be. The '60s style hearse and car in the castle set look fantastic as well. Really, everything about the castle set looks great: the car and the castle itself. The gothic, classic horror movie look is wonderful and unlike any castle we have ever gotten before.

I can't understand why a lot of people are looking straight to the minifigures, especially the monsters, and disregarding the rest. I am very into minifigures myself, but it's not the monsters that attracted me at all, especially not the swamp thing. What I love is the different motor vehicles and the castle. I love Adventurers style cars, as the car in the werewolf set looks to be. The '60s style hearse and car in the castle set look fantastic as well. Really, everything about the castle set looks great: the car and the castle itself. The gothic, classic horror movie look is wonderful and unlike any castle we have ever gotten before.

This. Minifigures don't make a theme - if it did, then the collectable Minifigure line is the best theme ever. Besides, how can you look past the incredibly imaginative builds we're seeing here? A ghost train, a classy black hearse, and a castle straight out of Castlevania are all brand-new ideas from LEGO. It's really creative and works exceptionally well. Once these are finished I think this will be one of the best themes we've seen in some time.

Sadly no, no images of the zombie set yet. Although if the CFM is any indication, the set is almost guaranteed to be a best seller :tongue:

Zombie set?! Now I may have to actually more then one of these... My resolve has been broken.

I can't understand why a lot of people are looking straight to the minifigures, especially the monsters, and disregarding the rest.

Because you can't build a minifig (unless you take up the side hobby of customization), you can only buy it, while you can build the rest yourself, and usually AFOLs do a much better job than TLG :)

Because you can't build a minifig (unless you take up the side hobby of customization), you can only buy it, while you can build the rest yourself, and usually AFOLs do a much better job than TLG :)

That is, indeed true! The last sets I bought because I actually liked the set itself would most likely be Darth Vader's TIE fighter and the Raid VPR in the Space Police II line (and even then I modified it) and some of the better designed brick-built animal impulse sets (Scarab Attack and the Atlantis Octopus)... Other than that, I mostly view LEGO sets as Parts and Minifig packs, and I'll even admit that sometimes the minifigs included with the set is what ultimately makes or breaks my decision to buy it (unless it is completely packed with useful parts).

...That said, as Peppermint M said, these are PRELIMINARY pics, meaning that the minifigs are just placeholders, and on top of that, I'm actually LIKING some of the set designs (I like my old-timey cars).

Alright, that is very true and I can see that side of it. From that perspective, I can understand where those comments I was referring to were coming from.

I, on the other hand, am not much of a MOCer at all, so if sets themselves look unappealing to me I will not buy them. These sets look great to me, which is why I am stoked for them.

It seems like a nice theme and i seriously wonder if they gonna provide a story line (Ninjago has a very strong story line, Power Miners didn't have one at all), since I am always interested in their marketing decisions. So far I had a different understanding of a ghost train and I found their idea pretty funny. Still, I cannot say anything to the quality of the sets, too early I think, but I am afraid for the werewolf set I'd prefer this one:

1380-1.jpg

Looks pretty good so far. I really like the monsters, but I'm unhappy with the hero characters. I'd rather them be a little less ghost busters and a bit more Scooby Doo. The monster fighters themselves just don't fit right into the sets.

I'd rather them be a little less ghost busters and a bit more Scooby Doo. The monster fighters themselves just don't fit right into the sets.

They don't give me Ghost Busters vibes at all. They are guys in bowler hats and a girl with an arrow in her hair. That doesn't ring Ghost Busters to me.

They don't give me Ghost Busters vibes at all. They are guys in bowler hats and a girl with an arrow in her hair. That doesn't ring Ghost Busters to me.

They're actually very Ghostbusters...as long you're thinking of the right kind of Ghostbusters: