Buttons

Bricklink questions

So basically you mail them cash or pay them in person? How would you send change?(I read somewhere that the Post Office doesn't deliver mail that contains coins)

I've sent change before by taping coins to a piece of paper, making a cross shape over the coins, and then folding the piece of paper a couple times. You have to be careful though, because if your letter is over a certain weight, then postage charges increase. You may just want to round up to the nearest dollar. Also you don't have to send cash via registered mail, I never do when sending say $10 or $15, but when you send cash unregistered, you do so at your own risk.

Is there a way to see the shipping fee before you submit your order? Do some seller not charge shipping fees?

Is there a way to see the shipping fee before you submit your order? Do some seller not charge shipping fees?

Some don't, som do. If they do, their fees should be mentionned in their Terms&Policies.

If nothing is in the terms about fees, the seller doesn't charge them.

BUT if nothing is mentionned about fees and the seller does charge fees, cancel the order.

This reason gets the closest: 'Seller provided a shipping fee that was too high (not clearly stated in T&C)'

Kevin.

Is there a way to see the shipping fee before you submit your order?

No, that's not even technically possible with Bricklink. Every order is different and items weights are not available/reliable. If if they were reliable, weight alone doesn't mean anything. Some light but big items has to be shipped in big boxes which means extra shipping charge. While other heavy but small items may fit in standart envelopes etc. making shipping cheaper. There are endless possibilities for each order so it is only possible to determine them with man power. Computers can't generate such shipping fees. You have to order without knowing shipping charges. But if you are worried it might be too much for you, you can always ask sellers before ordering. Most of them will try to help.

Do some seller not charge shipping fees?

Just a handful of them offer free shipping. You'll have to look through the stores list. But that doesn't mean they are cheaper. Shipping is hidden in item prices so you may end up paying more than others :)

Mkay, well, what would it cost to ship 2-4 minifigs within the US? I'm just trying to get a feeling for how much I'll ultimately pay.

Mkay, well, what would it cost to ship 2-4 minifigs within the US? I'm just trying to get a feeling for how much I'll ultimately pay.

It depends on from where, and the specific seller. I charge $3.50 from Canada, but others charge more, and some charge less. Again, contact the seller first to be certain.

I've shipped plenty of minifigs and for 2-4 figs postage alone costs $1.50-$2.00 and handling varies but it should come out to be $3-$4 max.

What is the best way to package a minifig?

Are you selling them?

Here's what I do. I take one thin, clear trading card sleeve per minifig, slide it in sideways, fold over the sleeve, and then staple it shut. That way, each minifig is protected. I then put all of the figs into a padded envelope, and ship it.

The sleeves I use can be found at TRU in the trading card section. They cost about $1-$2 for a pack of 100.

Edited by Ricecracker

Are you selling them?

Here's what I do. I take one thin, clear trading card sleeve per minifig, slide it in sideways, fold over the sleeve, and then staple it shut. That way, each minifig is protected. I then put all of the figs into a padded envelope, and ship it.

The sleeves I use can be found at TRU in the trading card section. They cost about $1-$2 for a pack of 100.

I have a few high value figs that I have pulled out of garage sale finds. I want to sell them to help support my habit. Thanks for your input.

EDIT: Nothing useful here Move along...

Edited by brickme

I ordered a few bits of Technics on Bricklink on very early on Monday and have yet to here from the seller about paying via Paypal. I have sent them an email but no reply to that. They have been logging in today according to Bricklink.

What is the protocol? shave I leave it another day?

Thanks

Edited by Jon Byrne

Sometimes people may be busy. It's very normal to wait a few days for an invoice. Especially for high lot orders.

Sometimes people may be busy. It's very normal to wait a few days for an invoice. Especially for high lot orders.

No problem just used to the instantness of Ebay.

One thing I never considered is the lot/item/price ratio, what is considered acceptable or does it vary by seller?

Yes, it completely depends on the seller. If someone has lot limits, they will mention that in their splash pages.

But most sellers still don't have any kind of lot limits, it just takes more time to pick bigger orders. I try to make my orders 1 lot = 1 USD on average. I have had some high lot, low cost orders as well. If that's the case, I leave a note to the seller and tell them to take their time while picking. No seller has ever complained about my buying habits though :)

Also, I understand the waiting period may be diffcult for new buyers. It's just the way things work over there. Once you get used to the catalog system and price guide/search/wanted list functions, it's waaaay better and proffessional than evil bay :) A little patience is all it takes. Of course, if you are in a hurry for a project, make sure your sellers knows that. They will try to help you and rush your order.

Thanks for that Cagri, I am not in a rush just worried that I was missing something really.

I love eBay but can see straight away that buying specifics on Bricklist will be far more productive and economical.

Im looking to buy a fairly expensive item from BrickLink (around the $200 range) and I was wondering if there are any precautions i should take or if there is anything i need to be careful about before i buy the item ? I have checked the sellers feedback obviously but would apprieciate some advice as im new to BrickLink.

I was wondering if there are any precautions i should take or if there is anything i need to be careful about before i buy the item ? I have checked the sellers feedback obviously but would apprieciate some advice as im new to BrickLink.

Feedback is a good start, but don't just notice any negatives, check those neutrals as well. A lot of people are scared to leave an honest negative, but they'll do a neutral or even a really negatively worded positive hoping the seller doesn't retaliate. Bad sellers tend to withhold feedback so they can threaten that later (some good ones do it as well because they've had buyers try the same ploy, so it isn't automatically a bad sign if they won't leave it first).

If it's a set or coming from another country, inquire about shipping first. Make sure they take the payment method you're comfortable with and aren't applying any unusual terms or fees to the sale.

Ask any questions first. Ask for more pictures if there is a reason to. Get all the details you need in advance. Once you place that order, you're liable for it. If you have any doubts, write them first. If they are offended, too busy to reply, or evasive, don't buy it, simple as that. Few things are rare enough to only come along once, and it's never worth risking that kind of money if you aren't sure.

Feedback is a good start, but don't just notice any negatives, check those neutrals as well. A lot of people are scared to leave an honest negative, but they'll do a neutral or even a really negatively worded positive hoping the seller doesn't retaliate. Bad sellers tend to withhold feedback so they can threaten that later (some good ones do it as well because they've had buyers try the same ploy, so it isn't automatically a bad sign if they won't leave it first).

If it's a set or coming from another country, inquire about shipping first. Make sure they take the payment method you're comfortable with and aren't applying any unusual terms or fees to the sale.

Ask any questions first. Ask for more pictures if there is a reason to. Get all the details you need in advance. Once you place that order, you're liable for it. If you have any doubts, write them first. If they are offended, too busy to reply, or evasive, don't buy it, simple as that. Few things are rare enough to only come along once, and it's never worth risking that kind of money if you aren't sure.

One trick I use both on Bricklink and eBay is to write the seller with a question about the item. The response can tell a lot about the seller. A quick, forthright response is usually a good sign, and certainly no response is a clue to move on to another seller. Often I will find two Bricklink sellers with about the same prices, and ask both so I can compare the responses.

Peter

Thanks for your help with my last question.

Would you happen to know any sellers that sell REALLY mint condition minifigures ? Im lookin for a few batman minifigs to complete my set and would like to know if you people had any good past experiences with a certain seller regarding minifigs that you could tell me about.

Id prefare them to be in their orignal bag if possible but i understand thats REALLY hard to come by so im just looking for figures in perfect condition.

Cheers

You won't get them in the original bags unless you buy a set that includes them, since the minifig parts are scattered across different bags and mixed with other pieces. Minifigs marked "new" on BL will have been assembled once but should be in perfect condition, or alternatively you can buy the torso/legs/etc. individually. I have bought minifigs marked as new from many sellers and haven't had any issue.

You can always contact the seller before ordering the figure, and ask for details about its condition. Many sellers are happy to send photos of the actual item also. Then you can order it with much more confidence.

Peter

If I bought an item not as described (covered in emails exchanged, I asked and asked!)

What can you do? Can you get a refund by paypal?

The seller is ignoring me. I have been ripped close to $30. Not a good day :thumbdown: