Sign in to follow this  
Siegfried

Eurobricks LEGO Set Index

I'm definitely in favor of putting all reviews in the Set Index eventually (and to leave it up to the forum mods whether to keep updating a separate index or not). However, given that the main purpose for creating the Set Index has been to make searching for reviews easier, I do find they could receive a more prominent place in the search results. Right now they are tucked away with all the other set info. If I'd use the Set Index for the first time without knowing the background, I probably wouldn't notice the links immediately.

I'm definitely in favor of putting all reviews in the Set Index eventually (and to leave it up to the forum mods whether to keep updating a separate index or not). However, given that the main purpose for creating the Set Index has been to make searching for reviews easier, I do find they could receive a more prominent place in the search results. Right now they are tucked away with all the other set info. If I'd use the Set Index for the first time without knowing the background, I probably wouldn't notice the links immediately.

I do somewhat agree. What do you suggest? Bigger text? Header? Different colour? Repositioning? Move them to a separate column? A mix of everything? At this stage nothing of the index design is permanent, and much of it, especially the main image, is just a placeholder.

I do somewhat agree. What do you suggest? Bigger text? Header? Different colour? Repositioning? Move them to a separate column? A mix of everything?

Header and/or separate column would seem most appropriate.

At this stage nothing of the index design is permanent, and much of it, especially the main image, is just a placeholder.

If you mean the big images in the search results: yes, I would definitely go for something smaller. So maybe you could have a list with columns for set number, thumbnail image, reviews, further set info.

Header and/or separate column would seem most appropriate.

I tend to agree.

If you mean the big images in the search results: yes, I would definitely go for something smaller. So maybe you could have a list with columns for set number, thumbnail image, reviews, further set info.

Yes, at the moment there's no detail view. The search will probably be changed to show just the set number, name and parts, a small image, and links to the reviews and a detailed view.

Thanks very much for your input. :sweet:

I just noticed that 2 of my official reviews are missing...

Shanghai Chase

and

Shrieking Shack

That bumps me up to 10, above xwingyoda and below def. (Until it is updated again :grin: )

Well the set index has to be updated a lot to keep up with all the new reviews and sets. Whether the separate forums moderators want to do double the work to get everything updated, meaning updating the set index and their own review index. You made the set index so I see no reason why we cant make it the best ever!

Delighted to be high up in the reviewer list, but my number is artificially increased by this:

3708-1.jpg

:laugh: I didn't know my namesake Fabuland character existed! I feel a new sigfig coming on .... :look:

Delighted to be high up in the reviewer list, but my number is artificially increased by this:

:tongue: I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but in any case the review number should be 100% accurate. It's (automatically) calculated by just the reviewers fields. The search is just a quick add on and thus is... flawed. :blush:

:laugh: I didn't know my namesake Fabuland character existed! I feel a new sigfig coming on .... :look:

Look forward to it! (I think I have him...)

:laugh: I didn't know my namesake Fabuland character existed!

:hmpf: People need to learn their history!

:tongue:

:tongue: I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but in any case the review number should be 100% accurate. It's (automatically) calculated by just the reviewers fields. The search is just a quick add on and thus is... flawed. :blush:

Look forward to it! (I think I have him...)

Yeah I was joking! Couldn't you tell?? Maybe I should emoticon-up my posts more ... :blush::sweet:

I'll have to Bricklink Rufus Rabbit. The only Fabu character I have is Ricky Raccoon and he belongs to Mrs R. :sadnew:

:hmpf: People need to learn their history!

:tongue:

Ok, ok! I was hooked on Classic Space in the Fabuland heyday. :tongue:

I realise you've realised there was, but is it unclear? Should I change anything?

I just realised; the last update bumped me out of the top 25 reviewers. :hmpf_bad:

No, it's all good.

My problem was I was viewing a whole bunch of stuff that didn't have reviews, so I got confused, then I hit one with a review and felt like a noob.

I think once all the reviews are in it will have a more complete feel. I still ove this feature, it's like a badass bricklink/brickset.

Great job so far Sieg! Just curious though, where is the Set Index in terms of % completion?

I've done some minor updates today... and I'm back in the top 20 reviewers list now! :tongue:

I just noticed that WhiteFang is listed with 12 reviews, which is still way behind his 67 total (and counting). Looks like you still have a lot of ground to cover. But do take your time, no need to rush things. :grin:

Great job so far Sieg! Just curious though, where is the Set Index in terms of % completion?

Sci-Fi 100%

Technic 99%

Town 10%

Star Wars 60%

Licensed 99%

New Themes 99%

Fabuland 100%

Big holes include Pirates, History and Creator.

I just noticed that WhiteFang is listed with 12 reviews, which is still way behind his 67 total (and counting). Looks like you still have a lot of ground to cover. But do take your time, no need to rush things. :grin:

I think he's got a lot of reviews in History. What I'm trying to do is keep up to date with what I have done, and add themes one at a time. Once I finish Star Wars I'll try to add all the 2010+ sets, regardless of theme. Then I'll add Pirates as it's a relatively small theme.

Looks like Brickset is more or less doing what is intended with the EB set index, namely including links to Eurobricks reviews in their set database.

That's fantastic news! Nice find. It'll be great exposure for EB. :thumbup:

That's fantastic news! Nice find. It'll be great exposure for EB. :thumbup:

Great and interesting news indeed! Not only is it an added exposure to EB, but it is also a testament of how highly-regarded the reviews posted here in EB are, particularly the RA's. I must admit it really makes me proud, being a member of this online community, seeing the small EB logo (with the review links) in this sample page from Brickset. :blush:

it is also a testament of how highly-regarded the reviews posted here in EB are, particularly the RA's. I must admit it really makes me proud, being a member of this online community, seeing the small EB logo (with the review links) in this sample page from Brickset. :blush:

I agree. I have a feeling it's because of the guidelines a lot of our reviews follow and the number of sets we've reviewed.

I agree. I have a feeling it's because of the guidelines a lot of our reviews follow and the number of sets we've reviewed.

You're absolutely right. I proposed to Huw (Brickset webmaster) that Brickset consider linking to the Eurobricks reviews some time last year for precisely that reason, namely the degree of quality control directed towards the reviews at EB. Not all of them are good by any means, but the Reviewers' Academy is having a great impact on the quality of reviews on the EB site and for me at least EB is now the first place I look for decent quality photo reviews of sets old and new. Pleasingly, Huw was amenable to the suggestion and so we reached out to one of the EB admins to see what he thought of the idea. The feedback we got was positive, so to get us going I manually grabbed the URLs for Star Wars Episode 1 and 2 set reviews to start us off, Huw added links to the set details pages, and things seem to have taken off from there. It should indeed lead to increased exposure for EB and better integration of the Brickset and EB communities (although I suspect there's already a far bit of overlap). I was delighted to see that folks at EB will even be supplying the info that Huw needs to link to the reviews going forward - this is the kind of cooperation that will greatly benefit everybody I think.

Dr. D.

Edited by drdavewatford

I emailed Huw the most of the reviews. When I started last sunday I never thought about I should come in the news on Brickset default_laugh_new.gif

Updated! I've added most of the new and upcoming sets, and for the forums that I've indexed in the past all recent reviews and sets should be in there. Pirates now has a greater presence due to Pirates of the Caribbean, but History is still at about 0% completion.

Looks like Brickset is more or less doing what is intended with the EB set index, namely including links to Eurobricks reviews in their set database.

Yes, it is good! :sweet: Does this mean I/we will stop work on this? No. For one, it's obviously not EB user based, but also I want this database for several reasons. For example I want to create an Android based program that has a complete offline set catalog with EB links. It's a dream of mine...

When I finish this (I am catching up, not falling behind so I should) I think the sites should try to work out a standard so we can all update at once; Brickset has an excellent interface standard which makes it possible. If I added something similar the sites could talk together and do the work for us! :laugh: I do plan to allow anyone to edit this once I'm mostly complete, but at this stage the moderation/confirmation involved would roughly equal the the work needed to create the database in the first place so I can't see the point.

Yes, it is good! :sweet: Does this mean I/we will stop work on this? No. For one, it's obviously not EB user based, but also I want this database for several reasons. For example I want to create an Android based program that has a complete offline set catalog with EB links. It's a dream of mine...

A android app? I have an android phone (galaxy s) and that would be so cool :wub:

You (or all the other people who work on the set index, I don't know) can maybe use google's "app inventor". It's totally free!

(But I think I can get also the android developer kit :look::wink: )

You (or all the other people who work on the set index, I don't know) can maybe use google's "app inventor". It's totally free!

The App Inventor is rather limited at the moment and produces oversized apps. But yeah, I'm serious about the app. I've got a non-LEGO related program on the market already.

The App Inventor is rather limited at the moment and produces oversized apps. But yeah, I'm serious about the app. I've got a non-LEGO related program on the market already.

Just curious; which app :blush::grin::laugh::wink:

Edited by legolijntje