Mantarri

[HELP] I want to add to my Mindstorms NXT 2.0, what set should I buy?

Well, I've come back to Technic, but I need to get a set toadd some good pieces.

Criteria:

I can only spend up to $200 Canadian Dollar$

It need some nice wheels

I don't mind buying from brucklink/Amazon/eBay, etc

I'm wanting pnuematics, LAs, differential(s), frames, PF isn't required.

Thanks for your future suggestions! :classic:

How many stores are you willing to purchase from? What is your hopes in exactly what parts you will have? What parts do you already have? Do you only want mechanical parts, or do you also want paneling?

1 hour ago, letsbuild said:

How many stores are you willing to purchase from? What is your hopes in exactly what parts you will have? What parts do you already have? Do you only want mechanical parts, or do you also want paneling?

I'm willing to buy from pretty much anywhere that is known to not be a scam (or lepin), and I don't mind buying used.

As for parts, I'm looking for diff(s), panels, good wheels (like the 2016 mineloader for example), LA's, frames, pneumatics, general truck MOC stuff basically, PF is nice, but not needed

35 minutes ago, LvdH said:

42055 Bucket Wheel Excavator is great parts pack, I would recommend buying one. 

As I said, my budget is $200 CAD, so the BWE is out of the question (though I might stretch just up to 20-30 $ extra).

Edited by XtremeBuilder
Forgot to add a few things

I recommend making a bricklink account so you can make a wanted list, then put all the parts you want in that wanted list, press the "buy all" button, then on the next page, locate the auto finder button, click that, then pick whichever choice you would prefer. remember shipping costs when you pick your parts.

Another option would be to use the bricks and pieces in the lego store. It's generally cheaper, but they might not have all the parts you want.

1 hour ago, XtremeBuilder said:

As for parts, I'm looking for diff(s), panels, good wheels (like the 2016 mineloader for example), LA's, frames, pneumatics, general truck MOC stuff basically, PF is nice, but not needed

As I said, my budget is $200 CAD, so the BWE is out of the question (though I might stretch just up to 20-30 $ extra).

Costco has 3 large sets at excellent prices. http://m.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?keyword=Lego+technic+&pageSize=24

The BWE would be my suggestion, but it's about $70 over your budget when you add taxes.  Maybe ask Santa for some help... 

The EV3 expansion set is great as well, and comes in a very nice container. 

I think sets are your best option. Buying parts individually is more expensive than when you buy a set. I would recommend looking at the currently available sets from LEGO and on Amazon. Then go to Bricklink to see what parts are in the set, then choose the set(s) that have most of the parts you are seeking. You should be able to find most of the parts for which you are looking, then Bricklink only a few special parts that may not be in the sets.

you can get some real bargains on Amazon, I recently got a CLAAS for $130, $50 off retail, 6.5 cents per part, lots of beams axels and gears.

i just checked and right now the BWE is available for $240, that's $40 off retail an almost 4000 parts, lots of useful parts!

IHTH

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

51 minutes ago, Andy D said:

I think sets are your best option. Buying parts individually is more expensive than when you buy a set. I would recommend looking at the currently available sets from LEGO and on Amazon. Then go to Bricklink to see what parts are in the set, then choose the set(s) that have most of the parts you are seeking. You should be able to find most of the parts for which you are looking, then Bricklink only a few special parts that may not be in the sets.

you can get some real bargains on Amazon, I recently got a CLAAS for $130, $50 off retail, 6.5 cents per part, lots of beams axels and gears.

i just checked and right now the BWE is available for $240, that's $40 off retail an almost 4000 parts, lots of useful parts!

IHTH

Andy D

Thanks for the advice, I'll check over the lists of technic sets there are, for the 3rd time. :tongue:

Welp, I've decided to buy the Merceds-Benz Arocs 42043, 12 nice wheels, a lardge LA, pneumatics V2, 2 diffs, an L motor...

You get the picture. :laugh::tongue:

Actually, not. NXT parts are very light bluish grey, and Arocs is obviously white. I discovered it when wanted to use NXT parts in a MOC and discovered that colors don't match

Edited by LXF

14 hours ago, XtremeBuilder said:

Welp, I've decided to buy the Merceds-Benz Arocs 42043, 12 nice wheels, a lardge LA, pneumatics V2, 2 diffs, an L motor...

You get the picture. :laugh::tongue:

Good choice! I did not realize it was still available,lots of nice parts. You might put it together once before using it for parts.

Andy D

24 minutes ago, Andy D said:

...You might put it together once before using it for parts.

Andy D

I do this with every construction toy I buy/get (LEGO, K'nex, meccano knock-off stocking stuffers), only once though, then a MOCing I will go...

On a slightly un-related note: Why are there no technic sets in Canada/USA for a reasonable price, It's cheaper to buy the set from Austria/Germany/etc.

P.S. K'nex is good too, It's better for large structures (especially for your wallet), GBC's, and roller coasters (IMO), while LEGO Technic is better for stuff with lots of gears, and/or smaller + stronger models.

I've now finally ordered the Arocs; I got it off BrickLink used (comes with everything except the box) for $232 Canadian (that is somewhere around Euro 160).

Now I've just got to *groans* wait. :P

45 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Costco.ca has the BWE on sale for $200. 

Of course it happens after I order & pay for the Merc...

Well, at least the Merc has nice wheels. :P

Edited by XtremeBuilder