Hi , here is my latest moc: a lego centrifuge.

The application of such a device is to separate plasma, white blood and red blood cells.

Mixtures inside the test pipes will experience great horizontal centripetal force(multiple of g)and thus reduces the time required for precipitation.

Powered by 4 Large motors. 1st gearing up is: 36:12, 2nd gearing up is 20:12. Total gear ratio is 5:1

*This is probably one of my ugliest creations ever.

centrifugation4.pngimg_1190.jpg

This is the result :

img_1188-side.jpg

Here is the video:

This is actually really cool! I never thought Lego could do this! Really cool and simple design that works extremely well!

Well done!

-RailCo

Very effective and a nice thoughtful design as well. And well balanced which is important, as I have seen centrifuges "walk" off of lab benches. Did you get an estimate of the RPMs? I'd expect that coal/water is fairly easy to separate, curious about the particle size of the coal.

Very effective and a nice thoughtful design as well. And well balanced which is important, as I have seen centrifuges "walk" off of lab benches. Did you get an estimate of the RPMs? I'd expect that coal/water is fairly easy to separate, curious about the particle size of the coal.

Thanks for commenting ! Short answer is I don't know the actual RPM.

Without load the rotor alone has around 1900RPM ideally. since lego official says that L motor is 380 RPM and I have a 5:1 gear ratio. I wish I had a proper device to measure the RPM, then I can calculate the gforce. For seperating the ash from water, It will take 2min 20 seconds to get a similar result. (I just tested lol). For the "walking" issue, I was able to solve it by placing damper system beneath it.

This is actually really cool! I never thought Lego could do this! Really cool and simple design that works extremely well!

Well done!

-RailCo

After 16 trials, Finally ! :sceptic:

Very unusual and great creation!

Tip: use Sariel's tools

You should get around 1360 RPM

Edited by LXF

Good idea !

I like that.

Than kyou ! oracid.

Very unusual and great creation!

Tip: use Sariel's tools

You should get around 1360 RPM

His L motor was set at 272 RPM @9V without loading or gearing. I don't understand why...Philo has some great data as well and it says 390 RPM..

It's between 1360 and 1950RPM. Pretty Sure ! :grin:

I would recommend a "soft start" with a lego train controller. That way you might find out before it fails that it is going to fails. Great option though.

Think about this REBRICK Contest. :)

This sounds like a plan! Your MOC definitely suits the contest. Nice work!

Good idea !

I like that.

Thank you !

I would recommend a "soft start" with a lego train controller. That way you might find out before it fails that it is going to fails. Great option though.

That's a really good idea. You saw how I slowly turned it on and off :head_back: .

This is sooo cool! :laugh:

Especially since I just did the periodic table in school. :tongue:

But anyways, its pretty cool! :sweet::thumbup:

Think about this REBRICK Contest. :)

This sounds like a plan! Your MOC definitely suits the contest. Nice work!

I am in ! Thank you for letting me know. :excited:

I really like this unusual Technic creation. I'm glad that you showed the spring damped base in the video, as I did wonder how such a fast-spinning machine could be so stable. Nonetheless, it's impressively well balanced. It's nice to see Technic doing something "useful" too!

That's how scientists overcome limitations. No centrifuge: It's ok, we have Lego.

Reminds me of this:

It seems like it performs really well.

Cool - this could be used in real life! Good thing that I didn't build it, because knowing me, I'd connect it to my flywheel stored-energy device to make it turn at ridiculous speeds (probably thousands of RPM). Nice sprung base as well.

Thank you for all the comments. My RC Buggy motors arrived today.. So.. Upgrades will be available :excited:

You should fix your model by screws )))

Cool Idea! I wonder what will you get with the buggy motors... By the way what kind of lab you are building? :grin: Breakin' bad?