Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2017 - Set Discussion

I like most of the minifigures, and the Ultimate Battle for Asgard looks pretty cool. The arena, on the other hand, looks extremely boring in my opinion. I really like that giant wolf...

Another interesting thing I noticed is the Sakaarian guard. A little nod to Guardians?

Arena Thor needs an alt-face with his super excited expression like in the trailer.

Thinking more about these, I will probably pick them up (somehow..?). I love the characters, and I remember skipping the Ant-Man one at first, only to not be able to find it nearly anywhere after that, let alone near RRP. I would hate for these to slip through my fingers, as well.

Also, while still bummed about never getting any Dark Elves in Lego form, I am glad to be getting any Thor movie sets; I'll take what I can get.

3 hours ago, DarthBrickus said:

I already miss the Summer 2016-wave :sceptic:

Not gonna deny that feeling.  Last summer we got so many Spider-Man villains, including some colorful updates to previous characters (I'm looking at you, Goblin and Ock).  Not to mention Ghost Rider, a character I honestly thought we'd never see.

Still, I'm glad to get a new Thor villain in LEGO form, other than Loki.  Hela is definitely a fresh face.

I think we need to remember that LEGO is trying to compensate for so many movies now.  They are trying to include everything Marvel and DC puts out in some way or another, when they also have Star Wars and its many properties to design for.  There is bound to be some inaccuracies and we just have to accept that.  Also, the target audience is again kids.  The children looking for a Thor figure isn't going to care about the colors or the printing, so long as he or she gets Thor.

Edited by Dr Axels

43 minutes ago, Evolved Turtle said:

Another interesting thing I noticed is the Sakaarian guard. A little nod to Guardians?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do think Sakaarian Guard (Thor: Ragnarok) is different from Sakaaran Soldier (GotG). Not just in spelling but also it's an entirely different race in comics. 

Oh god, the arena set is atrocious. Whoever designed it must've had the time of their life doing so. I'm definitely buying the Asgard set though, all that I really would need is there. 

It kind of looks like Hela's henchmen only have mouths on their head...they almost look like xenomorphs to me now :laugh:

They look awesome but holy crap those colors are jarring. They are waaay too bright. The arena looks really juniors-y. I'm disapointed that Hulk's shoulderpad is bright blue because it certainly isn't like that in the movie. I'm getting really sick of that slicked back hair piece because there isn't a single movie based minifig that it has been a good fit for. For crying out loud, the doctor who hair piece is perfect, why didn't they use that?! I expected some sort of structure from the battle for Asgard but the ship looks cool if not way too brightly colored and I  love the brick-built Fenris Wolf. I quite like the berserkers as I'm a sucker for black and green and there aren't many good black and green minifig parts.

Edited by ToaDraco

10 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

They look awesome but holy crap those colors are jarring. They are waaay too bright. The arena looks really juniors-y. I'm disapointed that Hulk's shoulderpad is bright blue because it certainly isn't like that in the movie. I'm getting really sick of that slicked back hair piece because there isn't a single movie based minifig that it has been a good fit for. For crying out loud, the doctor who hair piece is perfect, why didn't they use that?! I expected some sort of structure from the battle for Asgard but the ship looks cool if not way too brightly colored and I  love the brick-built Fenris Wolf. I quite like the berserkers as I'm a sucker for black and green and there aren't many good black and green minifig parts.

It is strange how colorful all of it is! The sets and the movie trailer. The title for the movie was done in this flashy, rainbow, disco, 1970s superman ripoff junk etc crap!!!  But the trailer was hilarious! "We know each other! He's a friend from work!" That was so funny!

LMF

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

1 hour ago, rodiziorobs said:

Arena Thor needs an alt-face with his super excited expression like in the trailer.

That would make the set a great selling point for me :)

The inspiration for Thor Ragnarok comes from the earliest Thor comics that were bubblegum pop colorful and psychedelic and rides on GoTG and Doctor Strange showcasing that the cosmic world is much much more different than the grounded and realistic approach of the other MCU films.

I can understand how people are turned off by it, but at the same time I appreciate how distinct and different they are from other "arena" sets.

Edited by doclord

Just now, doclord said:

The inspiration for Thor Ragnarok comes from the earliest Thor comics that were bubblegum pop colorful and psychedelic and rides on GoTG and Doctor Strange showcasing that the cosmic world is much much more different than the grounded and realistic approach of the other MCU films.

I can understand how people are turned off by it, but at the same time I appreciate how distinct and different they are from other "arena" sets.

I understand that, the color scheme doesn't bother me. It's just so devoid of detail or interesting features...

Just now, Evolved Turtle said:

I understand that, the color scheme doesn't bother me. It's just so devoid of detail or interesting features...

Now THAT is an actual problem, and I wish that both sets were $40 as ridiculous as that would be. Giant Hulk with stuff glued on him doesn't warrant a ten dollar increase IMO.

If you can fit figures entirely around the stadium though I will enjoy that.

7 minutes ago, Evolved Turtle said:

I'm sure that there will be some play features. Probably walls exploding like they always do with Hulk. 

36 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I'm sure that there will be some play features. Probably walls exploding like they always do with Hulk. 

Now that you've mention it. I think there's something to see behind that arena, but I won't give high hopes! :) 

6 minutes ago, SpiderJazz said:

Now that you've mention it. I think there's something to see behind that arena, but I won't give high hopes! :) 

I think not when looking at it. When not looking at it I think "Yea! Why not?" Then I look at it again and I think "Oh. Right. Not happening. Dang." 

LMF

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

Also guys, as you can see on the left side of the Arena, there's a couple of clip pieces (something to extend) or probably just a weapon holder.

Wondering why they didn't show the other side. Hmmm.

I don't know if anybody noticed this, but the arena has a few interesting play features. The side pylons can fall over if you hit the light, meanwhile the shot wall on the far left is attached loosely with jumper plates. The wall on the far left, meanwhile, has some other feature as well. The Grandmaster's throne is attached on a technic hinge, so it can be knocked over. The more I look at the set, the less bland it seems.

1 minute ago, NetherCreeper said:

I don't know if anybody noticed this, but the arena has a few interesting play features. The side pylons can fall over if you hit the light, meanwhile the shot wall on the far left is attached loosely with jumper plates. The wall on the far left, meanwhile, has some other feature as well. The Grandmaster's throne is attached on a technic hinge, so it can be knocked over. The more I look at the set, the less bland it seems.

I noticed the lights but not much else. I know I'll be picking this set up anyway, but I'd love destruction features, particularly on that door. 

Between the two sets, I think the ultimate battle for Asgard is the better one. New villain, plus Valkyrie and the first official normal Bruce Banner figure. The ship is sort of weird, but it just probably isn't well known. The arena does look bland... the colors while they match what the trailers show; it seems a bit jarring and almost to alien for the normally muted color palette of the Lego Marvel theme.

So is this it for Lego Marvel sets of 2017? Other than the SDCC exclusive figure (or D23 or what ever convention Lego Marvel will go to this year); it seems we know almost the entire Marvel schedule this year. Unless of course a secret D2C pops up from the line soon. After the spectacular showing of Lego Marvel in 2016, I feel this year has been a bit more bland and tame. I wonder if Lego Batman Movie, Lego Ninjago Movie, Star Wars Episode 8, Wonder Woman, Cars 3, Justice League; on top of three new Marvel films really did stretch Lego's design team thin for this year's sets...

Yeah, that's it for this year. Panther and Infinity War should bring some interesting sets but I'd say this was a really good year for getting great figures of integral characters like Spider-man (accurate for once) and Thor.

I'm interested to see if we'll get a proper helmet for Panther next year.

Just now, xboxtravis7992 said:

Between the two sets, I think the ultimate battle for Asgard is the better one. New villain, plus Valkyrie and the first official normal Bruce Banner figure. The ship is sort of weird, but it just probably isn't well known. The arena does look bland... the colors while they match what the trailers show; it seems a bit jarring and almost to alien for the normally muted color palette of the Lego Marvel theme.

I agree.

Just now, xboxtravis7992 said:

So is this it for Lego Marvel sets of 2017? Other than the SDCC exclusive figure (or D23 or what ever convention Lego Marvel will go to this year); it seems we know almost the entire Marvel schedule this year.

Wow, 2017 has truly been a disappointing year for Marvel.

Well said, I'm just thankful because still there's a reason to buy this lego, figs are great. It's just that this year was figbaits. Well we are in the month of May, still 7 months for 2018 so I guess, we'll have to deal with this sets first. 

1 minute ago, NetherCreeper said:

I noticed the lights but not much else. I know I'll be picking this set up anyway, but I'd love destruction features, particularly on that door. 

The more I look at them the more I like them and I'm definitely still buying them but just like the Homecoming sets they could've been so much more. In regards to the arena set I'm wondering if the right side angles upward with 2 bar attachments opposite of the left side that angles downward with 2 clip attachments. If so you could buy 2 and have a full arena! That'd be cool, I could see that being a feature.