2 hours ago, grum64 said:

Build Day 7 - Todays build time 4hrs / Total build time 20hrs 50mins

With Busterhaus and Andy D (just so you know who to blame :classic:) wanting my inane ramblings to continue I feel it only right and proper to oblige which is just as well as after today's building I have something to ramble about.

Feel free to add me to the list of those that enjoy your ramblings Clive, and long may they continue :classic:

Edited by LucyCol
Getting to grips with the new forum software

36 minutes ago, LucyCol said:

Feel free to add me to the list of those that enjoy your ramblings Clive, and long may they continue :classic:

Thank you. 

Build Day 8 - Todays build time 3hrs 55mins / Total build time 24hrs 45mins

In the time since I've been back building following my broken leg and for reasons to time consuming to explain I've not been allowed to be in my self propelled 'chair. Instead I've had to be in my electric one which means I can't get under my build table so I've been having to build on my lap tray.

Today I had the OK from the hospital to get up in my self propelled chair. But as I've not been in it for over 4 months my balance, which isn't good at the best of times, was all over the place. This made todays building particularly difficult as I was a tad 'wobbly' to say the very least. As a result I didn't get anywhere near as much done today as I'd planned :angry:

Due to the balance problems and a few other reasons I'll be back building in my electric 'chair for the foreseeable future. Building the BWE (when I get round to it) on my lap tray will be a very interesting experience :classic:

Anyway, enough of my moaning, here's today's build pics.

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by grum64
Spelling Correction

Not a lot of progress, even for your standards indeed. I hope you get your balance back in due time.

Looking at the wear and tear of that table I sure hope you have a sturdy laptray... Is lego building the only thing that happened to that poor table?

Sad to hear that you have a now also balance problems and hope it will be better soon.

Lucky that you still found your pleasure in building Lego even you tempo is for your standards slow.

Take your time Clive and get first your legs and balance problems better.

Edited by Edwin Korstanje

22 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Not a lot of progress, even for your standards indeed. I hope you get your balance back in due time.

Looking at the wear and tear of that table I sure hope you have a sturdy laptray... Is lego building the only thing that happened to that poor table?

I'm disappointed with having made so little progress today. I set myself a target stage for each days building but fell well short of todays. I'll catch up, after all, it's not a race.

Next time I'll be back in my other 'chair so will get more done.

Building on my lap tray has taken it's toll on it. The perspex top is badly scratched and is cracked in a couple of places, the frame's had to be reglued & stapled a couple of times and the bean bag has split at least twice. My Uncles making me a new, bigger and more sturdy one.

As for my build table. I bought it for £20 from a free ad website. All I've done is build on it. What it's previous owner did on it is something I'd really rather not think about  :sick:

2 minutes ago, grum64 said:

As for my build table. I bought it for £20 from a free ad website. All I've done is build on it. What it's previous owner did on it is something I'd really rather not think about  :sick:

:laugh: :laugh:

46 minutes ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Sad to hear that you have a now also balance problems and hope it will be better soon.

Lucky that you still found your pleasure in building Lego even you tempo is for your standards slow.

Take your time Clive and get first your legs and balance problems better.

I get so much pleasure from building my LEGO that although I may get disappointed by the lack of progress sometimes, building will never be anything but hugely enjoyable so there's no need to worry Edwin, normal service will be resumed by the next build day.

As for my leg, it'll get sorted, it'll just take time.

Edited by grum64
Spelling Corrections

Get better Clive. It's always a pleasure to read your build status and progress, regardless of how much you build.

Andy D

Sorry to hear about your balance, Clive. I hope it gets better soon. Did you consider raising the table to accommodate your electric chair? A couple of cinder blocks might do the job, and they can be removed when you get back to your regular chair. 

Hope you get well soon Clive. Its enjoyable to watch a set come together at this pace with all the photos you take then one rushed.

3 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Sorry to hear about your balance, Clive. I hope it gets better soon. Did you consider raising the table to accommodate your electric chair? A couple of cinder blocks might do the job, and they can be removed when you get back to your regular chair. 

Thank you Bart.

If the table was raised enough to get my electric 'chair under it'd be too high to build on as it'd need to clear the controller.

I'm OK building on my lap tray really. Things just get a little difficult as the build gets bigger and overhangs the edges. The Claas is almost as long as the tray is wide already. Thankfully those edges are raised so (so far :classic:) it's not gotten aquianted with the floor.

As the last few builds have been large, having the parts on the lap tray as I build like I did with the Race Kart, Fire Plane etc., isn't really practical.

I now sit sideways on to my table with the instructions and the parts (in a 22"x16"x1.6" plastic gravel tray) alongside eachother and 'shuttle' backwards & forwards between the them. I use a pair of 16" surgeons sponge forceps to help reach those parts I can't get. These are also a big help if I can't get parts together as the jaws are 'spade like' and close parallel to eachother. 

Granted it's not the best way to build but, all things considered, it works pretty well. It allows me to continue building and that's the main thing.

Edited by grum64

1 hour ago, jono.rocky said:

Hope you get well soon Clive. Its enjoyable to watch a set come together at this pace with all the photos you take then one rushed.

You're very kind. Thank you.

On 26/09/2016 at 8:24 PM, grum64 said:

[...] Following a very heated conversation with myself (during which some I felt some very harsh things were said) [....]

This line cracked me up :laugh: It's one of the reasons why I enjoy your build diaries so much - they're so genuinely British, which is a godsend for a nostalgic, long-time expat like me.

I hope things get better soon. Don't feel bad about mistakes and slow progress - it's good to challenge yourself but not at the expense of pure enjoyment.

1 hour ago, Milan said:

Just as you said: it's not a race. Enjoy the build!

Enjoy it I most certainly will.

14 hours ago, Andy D said:

Get better Clive. It's always a pleasure to read your build status and progress, regardless of how much you build.

Andy D

6 hours ago, LucyCol said:

Hope things are back to normal soon Clive.

Thank you very much. As I said earlier, normal service will be resumed by the next build day.

10 hours ago, suffocation said:

This line cracked me up :laugh: It's one of the reasons why I enjoy your build diaries so much - they're so genuinely British, which is a godsend for a nostalgic, long-time expat like me.

I hope things get better soon. Don't feel bad about mistakes and slow progress - it's good to challenge yourself but not at the expense of pure enjoyment.

Thank you.

I like the challenge building presents. However many mistakes I may make, however difficult it might get the enjoyment of the build never diminishes.

Build Day 9 - Todays build time 3hrs 30mins / Total build time 27hrs 10mins

Being back in my electric 'chair today means normal service(?) can return.

It's been a good day, pretty much problem free with the exception of an assortment of parts and a sub assembly that made rapid, unscheduled departures from my lap tray for destinations South. A quick text to the house had my Darling Gilly winging her angel like way to the shed to round up them up.

Once the parts were back on my lap tray (or the launch pad as Gilly now calls it :sceptic:) they were affixed in position although I fitted one part in an entirely fantastical position which bore no resemblance whatsoever to that shown in the instructions. For reasons unknown I'd fixed it not only at the wrong end but just as bizarrly, on the wrong side.

Anyway, aside from the oddly placed part, everything else went pretty well. I just didn't have time to fit the last sub assembly in place as building was halted by a particularly delicious roast chicken dinner :moar:. Just as well really, there's no telling where it might have ended up.

Today's build pics

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

Note: I've just noticed in the picture above that I've forgotten to insert the 2L axle with pin through the red 1x2 thin lift arms and into the white ones. I'll attend to it on my next build day.

IMG_1015.JPG

Edited by grum64
Spelling

Nice work, also add me to the list of people who enjoy reading your ramblings :thumbup: :classic:

Good to hear that you have a good day building and the progress you make is a lot more that i did.

Got the wrong BL orders in house today and are for the next project.:sceptic:

1 hour ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Good to hear that you have a good day building and the progress you make is a lot more that i did.

Got the wrong BL orders in house today and are for the next project.:sceptic:

Thank you Edwin.

Hope the wrong BL orders won't hold up your building too much.

2 hours ago, allanp said:

Nice work, also add me to the list of people who enjoy reading your ramblings :thumbup: :classic:

Thank you, you're very kind.

Build Day 10 - Todays build time 5hrs 50mins / Total build time 32hrs

Progress shown in today's pictures is made up of an hours building on the day before yesterday and (because of another cancelled hospital appointment :angry:) 4hrs 50minutes today.

The Axle Pin 3L with 2L Axle (18651) I forgot to fit at stage 188 is now in place but not before causing problems. Firstly, I don't know what this part is made from but it seems, to me anyway, as if it's a softer material than other axles & pins. Trying to push one through a part is very difficult indeed. The axle seems to really grip the part it's going through, trying to get it through a pair of thin liftarms is even harder (I'd be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this). Almost every one I've ever fitted has ended up with a damaged pin end. When I try to get it out I end up damaging the pin end even more, that's when Gilly gets called. No wonder I recently ordered 250 from Bricklink.

While I'm having bit of a moan, I have another part to add to my dislike list. The Pin with Pin Hole (15100). Not for reasons like the part above but simply because it's extremely difficult for me to fit. With it being curved on top it doesn't like to go where I want it to, it can take a good 10-20mins to fit.

That's it for the moans.

With the exception of the above, building went really well & I feel I've made decent progress in the time I had. I'm really enjoying the build but I especially like building the sub assemblies as some of the techniques used are very interesting.

The build pics

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG