Rate this set  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

that's pretty scary. what if some of those misb boxes have errors but were sold like 10years later??? :-P how's the collector going to claim from lego customer service especially if that part has been discontinued? :-P

According to the inventory, there are supposed to be three each of the left and right wedges. I know they verify the parts by weight which is how I got four left and two right and their system didn't catch it. That's a great system until the source pieces get contaminated with another piece of the same weight (like in this case.)

As far as color issues in the manual, it seems to be fine so far. If there are color problems with a set, I'm usually one to be affected by it and it has been fine so far. I think part of the way TLC gets around this is they try not to have the same piece in two or more colors. For example, the 1x2 Technic brick will only be in black and the 1x4 will only be in dark gray, etc.

Hope that answers your questions.

As far as color issues in the manual, it seems to be fine so far. If there are color problems with a set, I'm usually one to be affected by it and it has been fine so far. I think part of the way TLC gets around this is they try not to have the same piece in two or more colors. For example, the 1x2 Technic brick will only be in black and the 1x4 will only be in dark gray, etc.

Tks Dunamis for these clarifications ;-)

Its great knowingthat such a huge set won't be complicated by bad book coloring ;-)

Also I think its amazing as similar Obie and Uncle Owen are :-P Obie's beard is thicker thats all hehe !!

And oh boy how I *wub* that Leia !! I am happy that TLC made her peach !! From the Rebellion, I think that Leia is one of the best figs ever ;-)

*yoda*

May I know the dimension of the box please? USPS refuse to ship this to my country and claimed it being too big... so now I have to find alternate shipping company to delivery this to me. UPS, FedEx and DHL are just too darn expensive!

Thanks in advance for the help~

May I know the dimension of the box please? USPS refuse to ship this to my country and claimed it being too big... so now I have to find alternate shipping company to delivery this to me. UPS, FedEx and DHL are just too darn expensive!

Thanks in advance for the help~

The box is 28" x 20" x 9"

Is that dark red plate supposed to be that color?

Is that dark red plate supposed to be that color?

Yeah, that ole lady

yeah. that dark red actually helps you find parts faster as opposed to light grey in every single piece. i suppose if you're really anal you can exchange the tan and red pieces to grey pieces after you have finished your model.

i secretly build my MF last night (i was only suppose to during weekend) and got caught up the page 59. will make the front bottom left and right section tonight. :-P if i can find the time away from tending the kids.

edit: i've completed the landing legs. it's tough. i wished i had taken time to sort out my parts. i was looking hi&lo for the last grey 2x4 with technic holes plate.

For those of you still following along (I did say I was slow), I missed an entry because Brickshelf was having problems. So, let's get started.

Next up we start adding in some detail to the hull.

10179-42.jpg

Got to love all the little details and effort put into making this as realistic as possible.

The next steps include building out the seven landing gear. Note that the instructions show you to get pieces for one. At this point you might as well get 7X the pieces since you will need them all. Again, we have some amazing detail on the landing gear.

10179-43.jpg

10179-44.jpg

One the landing gear is done, we build a quick panel that goes on the bottom of the ship between the mandibles.

10179-45.jpg

Here it is on the ship:

10179-46.jpg

Next up is the engine section. I found this step a little puzzling. Why use THREE 2x3 plates stacked on top of each other when you can use ONE 2x3 brick for exactly the same effect?

10179-47.jpg

Completed engine section with details:

10179-48.jpg

10179-49.jpg

More updates to follow

Thanks for keeping this up. *wub*

Why use THREE 2x3 plates stacked on top of each other when you can use ONE 2x3 brick for exactly the same effect?

I tend to think this happens when Lego have an excess in one part and/or not enough of another. Do the instructions have a manual code? I wouldn't mind trying to download this....

Thanks for keeping this up. *wub*

I tend to think this happens when Lego have an excess in one part and/or not enough of another. Do the instructions have a manual code? I wouldn't mind trying to download this....

I don't see a manual code (although I'm probably not looking in the right place either). I've also checked the LEGO website and there is no electronic version of the manual. It would make it so much easier for me since I build right next to my computer. This manual is really spread out when you have it open. It takes A LOT of space (see the 4th photo down for an example).

Anyway, back to the build.

The right angle corners are reinforced with Technic beams and liftarms as you can see below:

10179-50.jpg

Here is some detail on the front of the ship:

10179-51.jpg

10179-54.jpg

Notice how big the manual is when it is open:

10179-52.jpg

That same part is now attached:

10179-53.jpg

10179-56.jpg

These big panels go on the bottom of the ship:

10179-57.jpg

Here is a shot of the back side of it. Notice the 2x2 plates with Technic pins keep it connected to the framework of the ship.

10179-55.jpg

Another update will follow tomorrow.

I have to say, it's a treat watching this. I was not planning to buy this set, but you are slowly starting to change my mind. Thanks for doing this for fans everywhere.

I don't see a manual code (although I'm probably not looking in the right place either). I've also checked the LEGO website and there is no electronic version of the manual. It would make it so much easier for me since I build right next to my computer. This manual is really spread out when you have it open. It takes A LOT of space (see the 4th photo down for an example).

According to a post in a 10179 thread on the Bricklink forum someone managed to get the manual code and locate it on the Lego site. Apparently its 134+Mb and no, I haven't tried to download it!!

http://assets.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildi...ons/4525430.pdf

David

Here is a shot of the back side of it. Notice the 2x2 plates with Technic pins keep it connected to the framework of the ship.

10179-55.jpg

I hope you haven't forgotten steps 16-18 for those panels.

According to a post in a 10179 thread on the Bricklink forum someone managed to get the manual code and locate it on the Lego site. Apparently its 134+Mb and no, I haven't tried to download it!!

David

I downloaded it. 134 MB and complete. For those who can build it with their own pieces :-D

greez

Sebastian

David

Wow, you just made my day! Thank you. This will free up a lot of space on my desk. *y*

I hope you haven't forgotten steps 16-18 for those panels.

Yes, I did do those steps - just after the photo was taken. Thanks for the head up, it would be a pain to go back and fix them later.

I'm actually a bit further ahead than what is posted here. I soon realized that this is going to take me a while and I'm going to be out of town next week. I've got enough building and photos queued up that I can still post updates while I'm out and probably finish it when I return next weekend.

I have to say, it's a treat watching this. I was not planning to buy this set, but you are slowly starting to change my mind. Thanks for doing this for fans everywhere.

Thank you. I'm enjoying this as well. It is interesting to hear people's feedback along the way too. Not sure I want to do every review this way, but it seems to work for this big of a build.

This is awesome! I love all the little details. Keep up the good work!

~Peace

This set is awesome!

Thanks for doing this for us, its looking good so far. You have persuaded me to buy this set now, so its all your fault! X-D

Thanks so much! Keep it up! *y* :-)

Well, I meant to have another update tomorrow but work got in the way.

So, we have a quick little build of a couple of sections that fit just forward of the center of the ship. You can see them here:

10179-58.jpg

And you can see it in place here:

10179-59.jpg

Next we build out four of these guys. Pictured is the front and back.

10179-60.jpg

These go into the holes in the mandibles at the front of the ship. They can be seen from the top and bottom of the ship. I believe these are maintenance areas and you see Han and Chewie working on them in the Hoth hanger in The Empire Strikes Back.

They are in place here:

10179-61.jpg

We continue working on the bottom of the ship finishing out various plates that make up the skin of the Falcon. Here we have the left hand side of the docking ring.

10179-62.jpg

Next is the right hand side that has the boarding ramp:

10179-63.jpg

I found this section to be extremely well designed. See the following:

10179-64.jpg

10179-65.jpg

10179-66.jpg

Another update tomorrow (weather permitting).

I don't see a manual code (although I'm probably not looking in the right place either). I've also checked the LEGO website and there is no electronic version of the manual.

Thanks for trying though! *sweet*

Thanks! I just downloaded it and it is great. *wub*

I found this section to be extremely well designed. See the following:

Indeed! I love that. It looks good up and down. *wub*

I have finished it last week-end.

A little comparaison with the 4504.

Thanks for posting that; it looks so cute. :-D You should buy the bag charm as well! :-P

I am enjoying reading your review Dunamis I'm not usually a SW fan but this set is amazing.

I saw a completed set for the first time today they have one on display at the Lego shop Milton Keynes UK.

It is difficult to appreciate the size of this set until you see one in the flesh.

Can't wait for the rest of the review *sweet*

I am enjoying reading your review Dunamis I'm not usually a SW fan but this set is amazing.

I saw a completed set for the first time today they have one on display at the Lego shop Milton Keynes UK.

It is difficult to appreciate the size of this set until you see one in the flesh.

Can't wait for the rest of the review *sweet*

I know exactly what you mean. I saw all the photos but until I saw the ship up close in person at the Star Wars LEGOLand weekend earlier this summer, I was shocked! You can't appreciate the size until you see it in person. It is very impressive and the detail is amazing.