1. 1. How do you pronounce MOC?

• one word-MOC ryhmes with sock
    • by letters-M-O-C
  2. 2. How do you pronounce AFOL?

• one word-AFOL-rhymes with A Poll
    • one word-AFOL-rhymes with A Doll
    • one word-AFOL-rhymes with Apple
    • by letters-A-F-O-L

I went to Brickworld 2007 this year in Chicago. It was the first LEGO event I had attended and I realized I had never talke to other AFOLs in person, only on line. I had a discussion with EB member Armothe and we weren't pronounce some of our acronyms the same way. How do you pronounce AFOL or MOC. Vote in the poll and let's see what the consensus is...

EDIT: Oh darn, I just remember Joe Meno pronounced an acronym in his presentation and I remember thinking, well if you pronounce it that way, it takes the fun out of it and I can't remember what it was. Oh well, if you think of other acronyms that could be pronounced different ways, let me know and we can start another poll...

I have never, in my entire life, met another AFOL in person. :-(

Either I'm very sad or just anti-social. :-P

Anyway, I voted for "Sock" and "A Doll". :-)

Dr. S.

I have never, in my entire life, met another AFOL in person. :-(

Either I'm very sad or just anti-social. :-P

Anyway, I voted for "Sock" and "A Doll". :-)

Dr. S.

I voted the same, but I had to think quite a bit about how I pronounce "AFOL", since I've only talked to other AFOLs in Norwegian, which has a rather different pronounication (but we still talk about "MOCs" and "AFOLs", probably because we don't have any good translations of the terms). Still, I pronounce both acronyms as words, not as individual letters.

And hinkie, great poll :-)

I haven't really talked with any other AFOLs, but if I did, I don't think I would say the acronyms at all.

When reading them, I see the word, and know what it means, but I don't pronounce it in my head. When talking about Lego, I would probably say Creations, and Adult Fan of Lego.

If I were going to say them, I'm pretty sure I would just say the letters, like A-F-O-L, etc.

I pronounce MOC like "mock" :-P

And as for AFOL, I picked "A Doll" which was closest to my way...

A-fol (the fol is like the first part of "fold")

I pronounce MOC like "mock" :-P

And as for AFOL, I picked "A Doll" which was closest to my way...

A-fol (the fol is like the first part of "fold")

Which rhym-oes with poll-o, you picked the wrong one! :-D :-D :-D

this is an interesting topic. actually, me and my girl friend talk about my hobby all the time...

when i tell her about creations i am making i call them M.O.C.'s. i say the letters with a plural "s" at the end. and when i talk about AFOL, i actually say, Adult Fan of LEGO to her.

however, BURP and LURP i actually say, burp, and lurp... like hick-ups :-D

so i guess is use all the ways possible..

1) say the letters

2) say what the acronym actually mean

3) and sound out the acronym

depending on which one i am using :-D

- BM

EDIT: wait, i just thought about taking this a step further... so, you guys who are saying "MOC" as in rhymes with "sock" must also call MOCpages, "mocpages" as in rhymes with "sockpages"... all sounded out.

that sounds ridiculous to me :-D :-D :-D as i have never though of it that way.

i have to admit, if i heard that at BrickFest i would have been like, "what ????????"

i like saying "M.O.C. pages."

Edited by Brick Miner

this is an interesting topic. actually, me and my girl friend talk about my hobby all the time...

when i tell her about creations i am making i call them M.O.C.'s. i say the letters with a possessive "s" at the end. and when i talk about AFOL, i actually say, Adult Fan of LEGO to her.

however, BURP and LURP i actually say, burp, and lurp... like hick-ups :-D

so i guess is use all the ways possible..

1) say the letters

2) say what the acronym actually mean

3) and sound out the acronym

depending on which one i am useing :-D

- BM

BrickMiner! That's it!!!!! X-D I think 8-| He said B-U-R-P instead of the word burp! I was so surprised! 8-

BTW, why is MOC's possessive? Do they have something? Are you talking about attributes of your MOCs? ie, my MOC's custom decals. Because if you are just saying I put my MOCs on the shelf, it shouldn't be possessive.
well, you caught me in the middle of editing my post... i meant "plural" not "possessive". see above. i also added some stuff about MOCpages too ;-)

- BM

EDIT: man, your snappy ;-)

Edited by Brick Miner

well, you caught me in the middle of editing my post... i meant "plural" not "possessive". see above. i also added some stuf about MOCpages too ;-)

- BM

An you replied while I was editing my post! See edit above. :-P

That's what Armothe and I were talking about. He handed me his new business card, which is beautiful btw, and said tell me if you get the slogan? And it says "MOC it better..." and so I read it out loud. "M. O. See it better, that's clever!" and he said "MOCk it better." and he was slightly, (and non-offensively) disappointed I didn't get it. But, what's awesome about his slogan is that it works both ways. See it better! And that's what lead us to start going through acronyms...

EDIT: BM, we keep cross-editing each other. I'm going to go move the sprinkler in case you are posting again. :-P

EDIT: BM, we keep cross-editing each other. I'm going to go move the sprinkler in case you are posting again. :-P
:-D this "real-time" posting is getting confusing :-D

MOC like Sock, and I tend to actually say "Adult Fan of LEGO". Remember though that while I have freinds who buy Lego, they are Star Wars fans who like Lego, when I am a Lego fan who like Star Wars. Thus we don't talk about Lego, or MOCs that much. It is my wife who bears the brunt of that...

I voted "sock" and "a poll."

Hmm... I don't know why, but I started chuckling to myself when I read the word "sock"... I need to go lay down...

'Sock' and 'Doll.' That sounds like some bizarre fantasy...

I've never met another AFOL either, but I try to slip both words into conversation with my friends as much as possible, just so they'll remember what I am. To them, it's just another thing to remember, to me it's a way of life!

Doesn't the foll in folly rhyme with doll? Doesn't the fol in fold rhyme with poll?

Well, honestly, I've always thought that doll and poll were pronounced the same way... 8-

Edited by yellost

Well, honestly, I've always thought that doll and poll were pronounce the same way... 8-

I've always pronounced MOC, M-O-C, however if I use the word I say an MOC as apposed to a MOC.

I pronounce AFOL the naughty way, I actually thought that was a common joke. :-D

one word-AFOL-rhymes with A Doll [ 18 ] ** [39.13%]

Seriously?

I'd never have thought that.

It's like hearing something funny and going "Loll loll loll!"

Thought for sure anyone would just spell it out A-F-O-L.

When was the last time you heard an alien abductee say he was take aboard a oofoh?

"Sock" and "Doll" for me too. Abbreviations are there to make things easier. If I were to spell out the individual letters of A-F-O-L for example, I might as well say Adult Fan Of LEGO, effort-wise it would make little difference. ;-)

I always pronouce MOC as M-O-C. I don't think I have ever even said AFOL, however when I do, I will say it A-F-O-L. In fact I am going to say it that way right now! A-F-O-L!

EDIT: My 80th post!

Edited by SupremeCommmanderGrievous

MOC as sock, or a dock, or a clock, or a mock, or a....

And A-F-O-L

:-) .