Sign in to follow this  
MontyPython

[SoNE Ep. VI] Afraid of Mantellians

And now for something completly diffrent ...

After an unsuccesful mission on Bothawui, our troops continued their searching on planet Ord Mantell, old, deserted planet, full of diffrent unwanted stuff. Here you can find many things; engines, wings, whole ships, bombs and maybe also a Mandalorian?

2014-08-18214040_zpsf4318793.jpg

-Monty, we've been walking through this mess for two hours but there's no sign of Boba Fett ... I think we should leave, before we run into a Savrip or two ...

-I think you're wright Wolf, if he would really be located on location the Bothans gave us, we would found him before ...

Edited by MontyPython

Another Rebel entry?! Haven't we finished you all yet?

I like the leaking pipe and the best part I think is the parts on the side of the border. Gives the feeling of continuation of the scrapyard feel. Could add some more of that and maybe make the border even higher for that purpose. It's a nice entry overall, I just think that the transition between light and dark gray one hte building is too 'digital' :laugh:.

A really nice entry! I like the ground and all small grey stuff.

Wow. This is probably your best build yet! The border is great, the pipe is great, the ground texturing is great, the tower is great... need I go on!? I agree that the transition between light and dark bley on the tower is abrupt, but other than that I see nothing I would say needs improvement. I also really like your minifig combos.

It is built very simply but looking so good!

The ground is nice made, many details and the story is good!

markus

Really simple, but really effective. My favorite part is the ground color, that fading between light and dark tan. And that "beacon" adds the right feel for the planet.

Great work ! I am looking forward to see some more rebel builds (but not too much) :laugh:

Finally another rebel entry, the Empire needs some more competition. :laugh:

The ground textures are nicely done, I like the mix of greebles and dirty tan colors. That works really well for a junk planet like Ord Mantell.

Keep it up! :thumbup:

Excellent entry, MontyPython. This proofs that you not only rock at building ships, but can produce some awesome scenes as well!

Probably my favorite part is the ground. you create a good texture with just a few pieces, and the fact that there is some kind of path that people take a lot, is very nice. You could make this impression stronger, by adding more pieces of junk outside of the path. Small pieces would do, as there is a bigger construction that counter weighs it. It would also be great if you'd expand on that tube. That way you would have an even better mix of elements that are purposefully there, and random junk, so that you really have that feel of a junkyard, without it loosing the definite character it has now. It often is important to have a bit of order in all the chaos, something you can hold on to. And make those less random elements your strong parts, as that is what people will remember. Randomness is great to create an atmosphere, but people won't remember a plain wall of greebles for long. that tower, however, gives identity to the MOC. So great work on considering that, and keep it in mind if you're building more ambitious MOCs.

The main attraction, the tower itself, is nice. I especially like the shape and the way it looks very top-heavy. I'm less convinced about the details. First of all, the technical details. It's great to have that X-bar piece there, but you should make use of the openings to show details that are still behind it. This working in layers of details will give your building a rather sophisticated, but still scrappy (because it isn't concealed neatly) look: perfect! For the technical details on the roof, I think that you used too much big parts. It's better to have a small clutter of small parts, so that it is harder to identify individual Lego elements. Here, you could go for a hoist of antennas. Of course, detail isn't all about greebles. There's weathering as well. You tried that here with the variation between light and dark grey. It's too crude to be realistic weathering (again, you can see the pieces easily), but too irregular to be some kind of patchwork. To make it look weathered more, try building it with plates, that give you a higher 'resolution'. go for a ragged edge between the two areas. there can even be some small 'islands' of one color in the other. And there could be other colors as well: some tan would do well near the bottom, and old grey and beaten up bricks (you could even use ones with bite marks!)... you can put them all to good use for once.

Still, this is a nice build with a lot of character. The atmosphere could be set a little more, however, and I've given you some hints on how you might do that. But remember that you got the stuff that matters most right. So my compliments on this nice creation!

Thank you both. I always like to see a praise, but I like some advices even more. This was my first attempt to build a vignette, so I'm really happy you like it.

I tried many things on this build. At first, it was very simple, a container, crawler and some engines. But then, I make the wall around it and it just didn't work. So I remove all the big pieces and tried with something smaller, a bit more detailed. I don't have a lot of dark tan and tan plates, but I have Luke's landspeeder, previous edition, so I use those rounded parts. Then I needed some wreckage, some junk. I put a lot of wheels and pipes in it, but there was just too much of it. So I decided to build also a bigger thing, a center of vignette. At first I tried with small cabin, but it was too big, so I decided for this tower. I think it fell out quite good, for my first build of this kind.