AgentRick

Third Cafe Corner style building in 09

I remember reading an article on Lugnet that said that there is going to be a third Modular style set (Market Street doesn't count, It's a factory set), but no information could be revealed. What do you think it could be? I say It's some sort of store with clothing or furniture in it.

Suggest ideas! Think of color schemes! Speculate!

There has been speculation here in the forums about a bank or some other "official" establishment. Personally, I'd love to see something specialized, like an ice cream parlor. However, since the first two were food-themed, maybe a store isn't out of the question. I just think that it's a lot harder for TLG to put a lot of "merchandise" into an official set (like clothing or furniture). That seems like more of a custom thing done in MOCs.

It's hard, because a lot of the businesses that make up a real city would not make an appealing Lego set for most audiences, like a nightclub or office building. It would take a special child to spend hours of play with realistic Lego cubicles :tongue: .

So, as more of these wonderful buildings come out, it will be interesting to see the kind of variety that they have. It's hard to walk the line between realistic and fun for kids, but we've seen Lego doing it very well these days! :classic:

Firehouse!* Bring it on, baby! :thumbup:

*This is idle speculation on my part, but it sounds reasonable, doesn't it?

Honestly, Cafe Corner and Green Grocer were pure winners, I have a lot of faith that whatever they decide will be great. Market Street lacked some of the same charm, but as said, it was different from the rest, and fair in it's own right.

I'd skip a bank for a couple of years if I was TLG. Just an opinion, but I don't think people are all that happy with banks right now, and that's a pretty world-wide situation.

Wow... a realistic urban fire station would be fantastic! One problem though: I was planning on MODing my own to go between GG and CC. If TLG went and did it first, I'd look like a copycat :laugh: .

Wow... a realistic urban fire station would be fantastic! One problem though: I was planning on MODing my own to go between GG and CC. If TLG went and did it first, I'd look like a copycat :laugh: .

So was I actually :cry_sad:

Hmm... what about the one with the bus and the pizza parlor?

Or is it just a small street building?

No, that's going to be a City set. Cafe Corner and Green Grocer belong in their own class, specifically the Fully-Awesome-Modular-Buildings-With-Extreme-Details-And-Immense-Size theme. At least, that's how S@H classifies them. (right?)

And a self-promoting Lego store would be the coolest set ever. Imagine, there could be a miniature box inside of this set! (probably a sticker for box art.) It would be an endless vortex... :oh:

I'd love it if they made a modular LEGO store. Self-promotion FTW! :thumbup:

like this one (albeit MOC not official)....

Brickshelf

there was a thread on this somewhere round here in the last few months...

cheers,

timbutnice

I had the impression that the Cafe Corner, the Green Grocer and the Market Street were all designed by one guy. I remember reading his interview, and he said that there's going to be a fourth building designed by him released this year.

My bet is on another "civilian" building, though. Perhaps a mall or something like that?

I had the impression that the Cafe Corner, the Green Grocer and the Market Street were all designed by one guy. I remember reading his interview, and he said that there's going to be a fourth building designed by him released this year.

My bet is on another "civilian" building, though. Perhaps a mall or something like that?

No, Market Street was not in the original plans for the new buildings, it was a fan-designed set thrown in the middle. Check the first part of the interview here.

He didn't really design that one, he just made it better for production. :classic:

Edited by dhaas06

I think a post office may not be out of the question, following on from the sub-theme of the last year?

Plus they already print letters onto tiles, it would be great if you got like 100 with the set

Oh wow. I hadn't heard anything about this. I think no matter what it is, I'll buy it no doubt. I absolutely love my three modular buildings. They are a few of the sets I have that will stay in tact forever. Whenever people come over and I show them they LEGO room, those three buildings almost always catch people's eyes. Unfortunately I have to say "No" when they ask if they are of my own design. I've been compelled to create a building of my own to go along with them just so I can take some credit for their beautiful design and eye-catching architecture. But yeah, I digress, a third non-factory one would be sooooooo great. :cry_happy:

Hmmm, I hope we get something good and not another food themed one! A mall would be nice but I doubt we'll get one. We'll maybe get a bank, which I wouldnt mind.

Hmmm, I hope we get something good and not another food themed one! A mall would be nice but I doubt we'll get one. We'll maybe get a bank, which I wouldnt mind.

I agree :thumbup:

I think that bank would be nice, or maybe a post office, or some appartments... :wub:

No, Market Street was not in the original plans for the new buildings, it was a fan-designed set thrown in the middle. Check the first part of the interview here.

Ah! that was the article I was looking for, thanks!

A department store would be great, and lots of detail on the inside with different items on each floor, and there are many worldwide which have great architecture so it would be a realistic set.

A mall or shopping centre as we call them is a great idea but would need to be massive so i dont think it will happen and they are usually quote modern might not be as interesting unless it was based on e.g. that famous one in Sydney, now that would be something!

I still haven't put together Market Street, but the other two modular buildings are on display on my Lego shelves.. Regardless, a 4th building would be pretty bad a.

I only have Market Street. I don't have Cafe Corner and the Green Grocer yet. So if there's going to be a third building of the Cafe Corner and Green Grocer type, it'll be a long time till I have all of them! But this news has really made me excited! I'm looking forward to seeing it! A post office or a store where clothes are sold would be brilliant!

I'd personally like to see some cheaper and smaller sets in the series. Like an apartment or small house. The other models are pretty price heavy so it would be a nice addition IMHO.

I'd personally like to see some cheaper and smaller sets in the series. Like an apartment or small house. The other models are pretty price heavy so it would be a nice addition IMHO.

But that's not what the "series" is about. You can get smaller and cheaper houses in the City-theme and the Creator-theme. This series is supposed to be about big, expensive, intricately detailed and exclusive houses. I don't think they're ever supposed to become "readily available to the masses", or contain an entire city. It's really just a block of houses that show how gorgeous architecture can be created from using LEGO.

Agreed, these cheaper detailed buildings already exists with the creator line so dont go cheapening or down scaling our cafe corner style sets :cry_sad:

Agreed, these cheaper detailed buildings already exists with the creator line so dont go cheapening or down scaling our cafe corner style sets :cry_sad:

Yes I agree too. I just looked at another topic showing pre production designs here.

Some of them have been really cheapened up, for a few euros of bricks :cry_sad:.

Although i dont have the numbers, I feel some where cheapened up more (for what I value a set at), than what they saved in actual costs.

So I would prefer a higher price point for a higher level of design.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Edited by Teddy

I meant smaller buildings in the style of Cafe corner. Not bright yellow houses with no detail. I wouldn't like them to be replacements of a bigger set either, but add-ons.

EDIT: I forgot to add. I would still like to see the same amount of detail, but in a smaller building. Of course all of this is hypothetical as smaller sets in this "line" won't be produced, so there is no need to get so up in arms about a thought.

Edited by Monkfish44