mccoyed

Age of Mitgardia - Farm Phase 1 - The Family Cow

16053340770_38801dc652_z.jpg

The Anker family's most prized possession has long been their cow, Patches. Because the family only lives near this stream in the summer months, Patches must graze freely and be milked out in the open. The great fields and herds of cattle common in the South aren't very feasible in much of Mitgardia. Still, the wildflowers kind of make up for it, right?

Builder's Notes:

I tried to go for a simple, pastoral scene and maybe went too simple here. Especially that small waterfall... not sure I'm very pleased with it. Not much really going on in this build, but I couldn't think of much more to add without seriously expanding the base size. Oh well, I'll leave that to the next phases. I also interpreted the basic idea of this section of AoM since many small crops and gardens have already been built. The Norse often had a hard time with vegetables in their lands, which were harsh and difficult. Norway and Iceland are good examples. They did keep animals, of course, so I've decided to focus on animals for my Farm builds. Hope that's okay!

Interesting little build, mccoyed!

I must agree that the waterfall could be better, but the rest of the build is great for the first phase of an AoM build! The border adds a nice touch, as does the foliage and wildflowers for adding color and texture variation. The bucket of milk is a nice addition.

For and AoM phase I build this is okay, although some of the things you've mentioned could be solved rather quickley.

1. Stay with one way to build water, here you've got blue and transparent stuff. I think it doens't match at all.

2. The bank should always be higher than the water level. In this build you don't have any bank at all.

BTW, where did you get his cow from? Never seen these colors before.

It's a BrickForge cow, they've got a few kinds (udders optional!).

Nice little build, tho I agree about lowering the water level. I like seeing different interpretations of the AoM phases!

Interesting little build, mccoyed!

I must agree that the waterfall could be better, but the rest of the build is great for the first phase of an AoM build! The border adds a nice touch, as does the foliage and wildflowers for adding color and texture variation. The bucket of milk is a nice addition.

Thanks Sleg. I should never have "finished" this with that water. Oh well, learning experience!

This so actually really nice and lush looking! I like the more animal heavy approach as well.

Yeah, I'll be sticking with that theme throughout the phases.

Nice build - you have already captured some of the critisicm I might have mentioned yourself. :wink:

I like the frog on the rocks.

Yup. I figured most people would point out the crappy water. :P

For and AoM phase I build this is okay, although some of the things you've mentioned could be solved rather quickley.

1. Stay with one way to build water, here you've got blue and transparent stuff. I think it doens't match at all.

2. The bank should always be higher than the water level. In this build you don't have any bank at all.

You'll like my 2nd Phase, Kabel. I took your comment about the banks to heart, especially. That said, the transparent clear dots and cheeses in this phase were meant to be froth. I think opaque white is too strong for that.

It's a BrickForge cow, they've got a few kinds (udders optional!).

Nice little build, tho I agree about lowering the water level. I like seeing different interpretations of the AoM phases!

Yeah, I've fixed it for Phase 2. I'm big on doing interpretations since, how many variations of "gardener in a field" can you have outside of Nocturnus? :P

I'd say that yes, the waterfall could be improved, but overall you did great! The water is good, the foliage is great, figure posing also. For a build this size you did very well. :thumbup:

Sweet little moc, fits great into phase one I think. The waterfall as said by others could be improved though

Looking forward to the next phases

I very much like the foliage, and that's a cool cow :thumbup: kabel had some good suggestions for the water :classic:

The landscaping is nicely done, especially for such a small build. I like the treatment of the pond, especially the area around the frog's rock. I think the waterfall would have benefited from using clear cheese-slopes, plates, and round plates, to indicate the turbulence of waterfalls (and integrate better with the reflective-ness of the the rest of the water.

I'm looking forward to your livestock-based series! While I'm usually impressed with Mitgardia's farms, it will be refreshing to see your take on it.

Edited by SarahJoy