Robert8

LEGO Minifigures licensed series

Best licensed collectable Minifigures series so far  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best licensed collectable Minifigures series so far?

• The Simpsons Series 1
    • The Simpsons Series 2
    • Disney
    • The LEGO Batman Movie Series 1
    • The LEGO Batman Movie Series 2
    • The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Series 1
    • Disney Series 2
    • DC Comics Series
    • The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Series 2

I was just suggesting that there are enough characters in the Cantina to potentially fill a CMF series, not that they should do that... some may not be the most exciting characters, true, but Doc Evazan & Ponda Baba are key characters, having an official Wuher would give you a bartender for your Cantina set, Hrchek Kal Fas is just a cool looking alien and a way to reuse the Bossk head mold... and whether obscure movie extras (within reason) or even EU characters, it wouldn't matter if kids or parents didn't recognize the characters, they'd still be cool Imperials, Jedi, aliens, troopers, etc, and the bios of the figures on the Lego website would take care of the rest.

Any licensed CMF would need a mix of main characters and more obscure ones. The LEGO Movie one had four main characters and then others that were on the screen for a little bit of time.

After the Simpsons series 2 they probably need to have alternative prints of the family and then include new characters too.

So if there was a Star Wars CMF, they could have Luke, Leia, Han, and then characters that had not appeared in minifig form before.

But with the amount of Star Wars sets and how LEGO uses a rare minifig to sell a D2C set, I don't think we will get a Star Wars series.

Again, tho, there are so many Star Wars characters to choose from, the "rare figs are used to sell sets" excuse doesn't wash. They can deliver multiple waves of SW CMFs and still keep plenty of figures aside to help sell sets.

And think about the main characters... from the OT alone, there are still some notable absences: Bespin Luke and Dagobah Luke in fleshie form, Han with his Endor trenchcoat (which would likely just be printed), Endor Luke (with or without helmet), DSII Luke (Ewok Village gave us the 'flap-down' version from when he was fried by Palpatine on to the end of the film, but the flap-up version from the actual duel hasn't been done), hooded/caped Jabba's Palace Luke (easily made ourselves, but you know what I mean), they can probably still milk a couple more Hoth Han variations, a few Leias still to be tackled, etc. R2 & 3PO could have "restraining bolt" variations (I know at least 3PO already exists that way), a Battle Damaged R2 print could be done.

Bottom line, with some creative thought (and not even much), Lego can lay down several series' worth of CMFs and set figures with little to no overlap for years to come...and CMFs may be the only chance of getting certain characters or variations in the next 10-15 years.

Any licensed CMF would need a mix of main characters and more obscure ones. The LEGO Movie one had four main characters and then others that were on the screen for a little bit of time.

After the Simpsons series 2 they probably need to have alternative prints of the family and then include new characters too.

But with the amount of Star Wars sets and how LEGO uses a rare minifig to sell a D2C set, I don't think we will get a Star Wars series.

It's another issue. The main problem of main characters is that they occupy the places that could have allowed more characters which collectors might expect more. Unless that variation is really usefull and creative and also has the CMF quality. In TLM's case I personally don't think Business and Bad Cop deserve to be there.

As for the main heroes of original SW trilogies, as said obviously LEGO intends to make their variations exclusive to every regualr set. If LEGO agree to do CMF SW, they might have to choose other less famous characters from the background or EU.

Edited by Dorayaki

It seems I'm not the only one who has thought about LEGO Muppets.

They look nice, IMO :grin:

Those rock! I'd love to see them as official figures. Great find.

Did some thinking... What about a Nickolodean CMF line? Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents, etc. (yes, I know Sponegebob is held by Megablocks now, this is just an idea). It's what I watched when I was a kid, and is still popular today.

On that note, some folks at Classic Castle were discussing Scooby Doo. That would be PERFECT! It's a darn shame that a competitor holds the license. It was on when I was a kid, when my parents were kids (they didn't watch it though, HA), and I'll bet it'll still be on when I have kids. And with so many recognizable characters and monsters, there'd be no limit to what they could do. It's the perfect fit for LEGO, and I really hope something happens that allows them to get the license...

On that note, some folks at Classic Castle were discussing Scooby Doo. That would be PERFECT!

Monsters Fighters was initially designed as a Scooby Doo parody:

15041360660_e194367a36_z.jpg

Woah, no way! :oh3: Thanks for sharing!

That's so cool, why'd they steer away from this by the completion of the theme?

That's cool. I've never heard of that. Kinda makes me wonder why they scrapp(y doo)ed that (yeah, I know Monster Fighters came out, but it didn't look quite like that. I just used that wording so I could make that pun). That Medusa is very similar to what we got in the CMF Series, I wonder if this is the concept art its based on?

I still hope for Scooby Doo CMF (or even a full theme). Monster Fighters wasn't quite what one would hope for. (No museums, lighthouses, etc.) Scooby Doo would still be unique enough. Thanks for sharing that though.

Did some thinking... What about a Nickolodean CMF line? Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents, etc. (yes, I know Sponegebob is held by Megablocks now, this is just an idea). It's what I watched when I was a kid, and is still popular today.

On that note, some folks at Classic Castle were discussing Scooby Doo. That would be PERFECT! It's a darn shame that a competitor holds the license. It was on when I was a kid, when my parents were kids (they didn't watch it though, HA), and I'll bet it'll still be on when I have kids. And with so many recognizable characters and monsters, there'd be no limit to what they could do. It's the perfect fit for LEGO, and I really hope something happens that allows them to get the license...

We know LEGO isn't the first company to do blind bags and collecitble toys. If other companies also have done a good job, I wouldn't expect LEGO to seize these licenses.

COBI Scooby Doo and Winx are pretty nice to me. And even though the figres from two lines don't have the same shape of body, they still look similiar and are good as brick figures. As for the current Megabloks Spongebob, to me the problem is that their figres don't look like brick toys but are just some collectible figures.

I still hope for Scooby Doo CMF (or even a full theme). Monster Fighters wasn't quite what one would hope for. (No museums, lighthouses, etc.) Scooby Doo would still be unique enough. Thanks for sharing that though.

If there are still hopes for LEGO Scooby Doo, I might think it's safe to make a stereotypical heroes-vs-monsters theme because we had the example of Indiana Jones and Johnny Thunder. The hunters also look like Ghostbusters parody. Like many other secondary and one-wave action themes, Monster Fighters was still heaviiy restricted by the limit of introducing new parts so there won't be lots of new monsters and quirky visitors. The Swamp Creature was the only original character in this theme. Edited by Dorayaki

Scooby Doo doesn't have enough characters for a CMF series, IMO. They would have to include the monsters, which would be pretty similar to Monsters Fighters and the monsters subtheme in the regular CMF series.

Ghost Clown would be a great minifigure, though.

Reckon Dragonball could come up at some point? There's a fantastic set of customs out now so it's not a set that's unrealistic, it's a hugely popular series, and lego has ventured into anime series before (Avatar).

A few themes I'd love to see Lego do:

Legend of Korra would be great, as well as a few more (much better) Last Airbender sets, like what they did with PoTC and LoTR.

Doctor Who would be a fantastic theme and with 30+ years of material, it could be a bigger theme than Star Wars!

Nintendo, mainly Zelda and Mario could be one of Lego's best themes! For Mario they could do a few race tracks and Karts, smaller Bowser's castles and the boss Bowser Casle, some side scrolling level sets and some minifigure series could be great as well.

Hunger Games could possibly be a good theme, done like the PoP and Lone Ranger sets where they just do one wave. If they make a 2nd Robocop movie sets for that would be awesome as well. Also, the upcoming Mad Max movie would be a very good theme since Lego loves vehicle based sets.

Just my little wish list.

Scooby Doo doesn't have enough characters for a CMF series, IMO. They would have to include the monsters, which would be pretty similar to Monsters Fighters and the monsters subtheme in the regular CMF series.

Cobi / Character Building has the license for Scooby Doo, and does a series of 12. Plus there are a few others in the Dracula set.

http://www.character-online.com/products/Character-Building/Scooby-Doo/Scooby-Doo-Micro-Figures-in-Display-Brix/

What about a Back To The Future CMF? You could have Marty in his cowboy gear, Biff Tannen 1955, Doc Brown 2015, Marty Junior 2015, Jennifer Parker 1985, George McFly 1955, Lorraine Baines 1955, Marty Nuclear protection suit 1985. The possibilities are endless.

What about a Back To The Future CMF? You could have Marty in his cowboy gear, Biff Tannen 1955, Doc Brown 2015, Marty Junior 2015, Jennifer Parker 1985, George McFly 1955, Lorraine Baines 1955, Marty Nuclear protection suit 1985. The possibilities are endless.

Wouldn't be popular enough with kids. BTTF worked as a one-off set, because a lot of adults bought it because of nostalgia. I'm a fan of the franchise and even I don't think I'd want to collect 16 figures from it.

Well the possibilities aren't endless (there is only 3 movies and a good amount of video games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Back_to_the_Future_video_games :grin:) I would also love a BTTF MF series.

But I do think King Pixels is right, it wouldn't be super popular.

But if they did do a series, I'd love to see these in the 16 figures:

Marty/Marty Jr (2015)

Marty (western)

Doc (2015)

Doc (western)

Biff Tannen (1955)

Griff Tannen

Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen

George McFly (1955)

Lorraine Baines (1955)

Jennifer Parker (1985)

Clara Clayton Brown

Marvin Berry

I dunno for the last four.

Looney Tunes - So many characters that would easily translate into minifigure form.

A Nightmare Before Christmas - Really want to see this!

Care Bears (toss in some of the cousins for diversity) - Would give LEGO an opportunity to target girls. Something they haven't really done as of yet with these series.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Yes there have already been sets made but I think it could still be really successful.

Tron - A stretch and not sure how successful it'd be but would look really cool!

Shrek - Lots of memorable characters.

A Nightmare Before Christmas - Really want to see this!

Shrek - Lots of memorable characters.

Ah... Nightmare Before Christmas is interesting because it's Disney, and TLG's got some hooks in at Disney. It might be quite old, but I think a lot of people (myself included) consider it a must see annual holiday classic.

Shrek is interesting too... but at the same time, when I think of licensing, because Disney has a working relationship with TLG, I don't think they'd appreciate TLG doing Shrek.

Ah... Nightmare Before Christmas is interesting because it's Disney, and TLG's got some hooks in at Disney. It might be quite old, but I think a lot of people (myself included) consider it a must see annual holiday classic.

Shrek is interesting too... but at the same time, when I think of licensing, because Disney has a working relationship with TLG, I don't think they'd appreciate TLG doing Shrek.

I think that Looney Tunes has a three year deal with Character building Briks. However, the heads off of these figures fit on Lego figures just fine.

http://minifigpriceguide.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Character-Building-Heads-on-Lego-Bodies-Fit-just-fine.-300x261.jpg

Seeing this thread now,iIt's funny to see how some of us called the Scooby-Doo theme :laugh:

Edited by Robert8