Aww thanks, OmShanti! :sweet:

Yes, I will be having my not quite 4-year old twin girls 'helping', no doubt!

The $15 Elves set is the only non-exclusive I have paid full price for (To get the free polybag) and I love it. The different color leaves are amazing, and the tree looks fantastic, plus all the trans pieces are always welcomed.

I just realised there are real life purple LEGO elves trees: jacarandas :)

http://en.m.wikipedi.../wiki/Jacaranda

That's a flower, not a leaf.

Most tree leaves are green because of the Sun and the fields around the Earth and the wave light the plants need to live and chlorophyll.

That said there are a ton of smaller plants with purple leaves. It's why I welcome them, and you can use them for eastern red bud leaves because the plant flowers before it leaves. It's LEGO land, have fun and more parts in more colors are great.

Oh my, I've seen these before, so beautiful. As stunning as they are, they can become quite invasive in the wild by taking over indigenous plants. When maintained though they look lovely grouped with Bougainvillea (dark purple), Piuva *Pink Trumpet Tree (pink), and Illawarra Flame Trees (orange). They create quite a spectacular landscape. Very much like Elvendale. Thanks for pointing them out K4Kitty.

Bricknblue, some Japanese Maple varieties feature purple leaves. One specific variety that produces purple leaves year round is known as the Burgundy Lace Japanese Maple. There are a few other plants that have varieties which do also.

http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/selection/tp/purpleleavestreesandshrubs.htm

The Acacia Purpurea (a most beautiful tree) features purple leaves as well.

BF5844C700000002.jpg

1155897934_78b1f3e17b.jpg

These Acacia trees I could definitely see in Elvendale.

I have never seen that Japanese Maple, that looks amazing. But there is still a green undertone to the leaves.

Living in Massachusetts with the second winter of doom and despair (it's currently snowing... again.) I must say these new leaf pieces really brighten up my room.

I know they are flowers (IRL I'm a lab manager, and one of my sisters has an honours degree in Botany), just thought it was cute :)

That's cool, K4Kitty. Managing a lab must be time consuming, but interesting I'm sure. I agree the Jacaranda is a nice tree.

brickpreviews, that journal is cute. Too bad they don't have them here in the US. My son and I love to art journal and are both elves fans, I'm sure he'd love one.

I have a dark purple species of grass in my yard. Not sure of the name. As for that diary, that is something that would most likely be sold at department stores and bookstores in the US.

Am thinking I might take some screenshots of the movie to try and recreate Elvendale as much as I can, as well as making the treehouse bigger. Have a passing fancy I might build Emily's house as well...but probably not! I am really interested to see where this theme will go, it seems to be selling well.

Looks like the Elves journal is now available in Canada & the US.

DSCF3528.jpg

I painted a little self-elf. I do not go anywhere without my doc Martens :D As to the character on the left, if you can identify this leading lady from an old Elf-centric comic you win my special no-prize!

Meanwhile, Legolas and his lesser known cousin Duplolas are flirting with all the ladies

DSCF3527.jpg

DSCF3528.jpg

I painted a little self-elf. I do not go anywhere without my doc Martens :D As to the character on the left, if you can identify this leading lady from an old Elf-centric comic you win my special no-prize!

Meanwhile, Legolas and his lesser known cousin Duplolas are flirting with all the ladies

DSCF3527.jpg

LOL These are great!!!!!

Wow! Excellent paint job Velouria. That is some great detail, especially with transforming their faces. You must have a really steady hand.

I'm pretty sure she's from Elfquest (its the first thing I thought of when I heard Lego was coming out with Elves. Those graphic novels I read so many years ago) -- Maybe Ember?

Edited by Sarah

Yes! You win my official no-prize! Congratulations!! It's Leetah, though!

Ah. That explains the clothes. I couldn't get the clothes to "fit" but couldn't find another character closer.

Ember is Leetah's daughter so that explains

(I was introduced to Elfquest by friends who were WAY into it -- she event named her character in our joint writing world "Tember" after Ember. Since I was her twin, this influenced my own character "Tembaly")

Edited by Sarah

I've been thinking. The Elves characters would be cool as full-size dolls, and the story is character-driven enough that it could probably sustain a line like that. But does anybody think it would be possible while still maintaining the LEGO brand's emphasis on building? LEGO has done full-size action figures of characters from more boy-oriented lines like Knights' Kingdom, Super Heroes, Legends of Chima, and now Star Wars in the past. But I'm not sure if/how it could work for a girl-oriented theme. Fashion dolls are in many ways a creative toy, but the type of creativity they generally involve is very different than LEGO building. And LEGO's anthropological research indicated that girls often prefer to play with toy figures in the first person rather than the third person like boys do, so the figures would probably have to be more lifelike than many "constraction" sets.

All in all, as a long-time constraction fan, I'd love LEGO to introduce buildable figures in girl-oriented themes like Elves. But there are definitely some serious obstacles in the way. As similar in concept as dolls and action figures are, incorporating open-ended building into a line of fashion dolls seems considerably more complicated than doing the same with action figures.

Am thinking I might take some screenshots of the movie to try and recreate Elvendale as much as I can, as well as making the treehouse bigger. Have a passing fancy I might build Emily's house as well...but probably not! I am really interested to see where this theme will go, it seems to be selling well.

Haha, that's awesome. That's exactly what I did. I have a dedicated Elvendale folder with all the images. I'm wondering where the theme will go too, I hope it continues for a long time. My Elvendale won't be finished for awhile though, because I am on a budget and can't get all the extra Elvendale elements I need just yet. It's a WIP at the moment. Have fun with yours. :classic:

[pic]

[pic]

Hahaha, Duplolas. Thank you for that. These repaints are very well done. Great work! I love your little self-elf, she's so cute. The extra touch with the eyelids is amazing, you have skills Lady. I used to love ElfQuest, so to see Leetah here was pretty awesome. Are you planning to make any of the other ElfQuest characters?

I've been thinking. The Elves characters would be cool as full-size dolls, and the story is character-driven enough that it could probably sustain a line like that.

Hasbros' nightmare..... It's an interesting topic, I agree. So far most of the other LEGO figures resulted in failures and minidolls are the only ones getting better current;y, so LEGO wouldn't like to try another non-buildable toys that easily.

Action figures like Chima wouldn't likely happen in Elves, too. Unless LEGO is able to introduce some doll figure parts that could also joint with other action figure parts.

The other way is too make cooperations with other toy companies, but considering that LEGO rejected Hasbro before, that option isn't available too.

Similiarly, I'd like to see some original LEGO characters get minidoll versions so we could see their official human forms. I've had enough with those fanarts. :P

Edited by Dorayaki