Artifex

What's in store for Castle in 2015?

I really wish castle sets went back to a concept where no one is evil. You choose what side you want to be on, just based on what side looks cooler.

I really wish castle sets went back to a concept where no one is evil. You choose what side you want to be on, just based on what side looks cooler.

I totally agree

I would love to see the Europa theme, personally. I collect both Castle and Pirates and would welcome a theme that sort of mixes them both. I've drooled over those old pictures many times...

Oh man, I would go insane for the Europa theme. I, too, have looked longingly at those pictures so many times. The civilian buildings, the noble minifigures, the architecture of the castles...all so great. I'd buy them up like bottled water in the desert.

I'm actually mystified that TLG hasn't produced a full on Steampunk theme. There's also never been a definitive Steampunk movie, or game, or book that I know of. Just stuff that pulls elements and mixes them with other stuff. I think TLG would make a killing since it seems to me that Steampunk fans love merchandise, which seems to be the main driver of the genre. At least I see more freestanding Steampunk merch out there than I do any IP-related stuff.

I would really like to see castles and village buildings in the Expert style... :wub:

I like to MOC up my own sets, but sometimes I enjoy following the "Instructions"!! :tongue:

I really hope Lego will bring back something like fantasy era, so many fantastic factions. Dwarves, Trolls, Skeletons, Crownies, Dragons....Other than black falcons, imo fantasy era is the best castle series. :classic:

I would love a more detail oriented fantasy theme. A lot of the same building styles used for a number of LotR and Hobbit sets (Helm's Deep, Bag End, Orthanc), but with brighter colors and Lego's own made up factions. Orcs, elves, undead, dwarves, and humans would be a must. Dragons and trolls would be an added bonus. Basically a mix of the LotR and Fantasy Era themes I guess.

I noticed that the Monster Fighters ghost hasn't been reused. I'd like to see that in Castle sets, the skeleton has been overused. More "troll" (Fantasy Era orc) sets including buildings/caves etc would be cool. Imagine a trolls vs elf/forestmen situation set in the woods. (Let's be honest, there are going to be 2+ opposing factions no matter what we want.)

I agree that lions vs dragons needs a rest. Red & blue need a rest, I know there was no blue in Kingdoms, but we had blue all last decade. Time to tastefully (not in KKII style) use other colours for minifigs, highlights & heraldry. Orange, purple, brown...

BTW sorry, I have 0 interest in civilian sets.

Needs more BURPs.

and LURPs.

Edited by Artanis I

I really hope Lego will bring back something like fantasy era, so many fantastic factions. Dwarves, Trolls, Skeletons, Crownies, Dragons....Other than black falcons, imo fantasy era is the best castle series. :classic:

I actually only got into the castle theme at all because of Fantasy. At the time, there was no LOTR, and none of us ever thought they'd actually do LOTR (although I always argued it was do-able and not contrary to LEGO non-violent themes policy). I kept right on buying after fantasy ended and then I had to catch myself and ask why... it didn't even occur to me that the only reason I liked castle was the fantasy aspect. Since then, I've only bought dragon mountain.

I was always disappointed that TLG never got around to elves in their fantasy line. I attributed the abrupt end (and no elves) to the notion they were seeking the LOTR license and didn't want any overlap or hard feelings about releasing a series that was obviously meant to placate us LOTR fans, but I could also see that executives thought that Skeletons, Humans, Dwarves, Orcs ("Trolls") and Trolls ("Giant Trolls") were already far too many variants in a theme.

Anyway, the only way TLG will get me to continue buying castle is with another fantasy oriented theme... and I can do without the skeletons.

I realize most of the castle fans didn't like fantasy all that much, and were happy when it ended, and no hard feelings if fantasy never comes back... it's just what got me interested in castle LEGO at all.

I Would love elves. Lotr is my favorite theme but they have done a terrible job with it, do hopefully they can do better with castle again. I didn't get back into LEGO until kingdom's was almost over, but I loved that theme. I didn't get any of fantasy because I wasn't into it then, but I would be now. I could also do without the skeletons. Lego must like them since ninjago had to fight them also.

I'd welcome more elves and dwarves and trolls and/or orcs.

I see people lamenting Knights Kingdom II, but some of my favorite shields came from this theme. I know that the wholly colorful knights were a problem, but that is solvable by simply changing the hips, hands, helmets and some of the torsos to more neutral colors. The castle builds weren't as bad as the previous Knights Kingdom, and got quite innovative at the end. The idea that the king's castle could be altered to fit the enemy's colors was wonderful, just poorly executed.

After the heavy good vs evil lines, I would like something more akin to classic Castle. Competing factions, yes, but neutral enough that the builder could decide who is the hero faction; who gets to be king. That way we could have more factions than just the two, and they could rotate. Fortresses with multiple color options so that we can choose to whom they belong. You could get your fantasy creatures and civilians there as well.

Regarding KKII, I really liked the Shadow Knights, and the shields were all quite interesting, you are right. The heroes' coloured helmets, hands & limbs were all necessary for my multicoloured Futuron customs, but man, were they silly looking knights. I didn't much like the colour scheme of the later generic good guys either.

But, Vladek's Dark Fortress is one of my favourite castles. Again, the Shadow Knights are cool.

I didn't care to much for the kkII and trolls and all that strange stuff... Kingdoms was by far the best theme we have had lately. The best themes and sets were in the 80's and 90's! Though I was not around to collect the 80's sets I did get a few of them later and they look so good, old but good! :wub:

Needs more BURPs.

I noticed that the Monster Fighters ghost hasn't been reused. I'd like to see that in Castle sets, the skeleton has been overused. More "troll" (Fantasy Era orc) sets including buildings/caves etc would be cool. Imagine a trolls vs elf/forestmen situation set in the woods. (Let's be honest, there are going to be 2+ opposing factions no matter what we want.)

I agree that lions vs dragons needs a rest. Red & blue need a rest, I know there was no blue in Kingdoms, but we had blue all last decade. Time to tastefully (not in KKII style) use other colours for minifigs, highlights & heraldry. Orange, purple, brown...

BTW sorry, I have 0 interest in civilian sets.

and LURPs.

Hi, noob here, wat is BURPS and LURPS? :classic:

I'd welcome more elves and dwarves and trolls and/or orcs.

So would I, this is something I would want in castle!

Hi, noob here, wat is BURPS and LURPS? :classic:

Big Ugly Rock Pieces

Large Ugly Rock Pieces

(I think I got them correct)

burps_and_lurps1.jpg

Edited by TheLazyChicken

I see people lamenting Knights Kingdom II, but some of my favorite shields came from this theme. I know that the wholly colorful knights were a problem, but that is solvable by simply changing the hips, hands, helmets and some of the torsos to more neutral colors. The castle builds weren't as bad as the previous Knights Kingdom, and got quite innovative at the end. The idea that the king's castle could be altered to fit the enemy's colors was wonderful, just poorly executed.

After the heavy good vs evil lines, I would like something more akin to classic Castle. Competing factions, yes, but neutral enough that the builder could decide who is the hero faction; who gets to be king. That way we could have more factions than just the two, and they could rotate. Fortresses with multiple color options so that we can choose to whom they belong. You could get your fantasy creatures and civilians there as well.

IMO, the scorpion faction is cool in tat series...there is always a joke that the knights are the power rangers in regards to their colourful outfits.... :tongue:

So would I, this is something I would want in castle!

Big Ugly Rock Pieces

Large Ugly Rock Pieces

(I think I got them correct)

burps_and_lurps1.jpg

Thanks for the enlightenment!

I don't have enough LURPs or BURPs. I hadn't liked them before, but the more you moc, you realize they make rock formations really quickly!

Someone bought a whole bunch in our LUG. It will be interesting to see what he does with them.

As a self-admitted minifgure parts exchanger (got to get rid of flesh tones!), swapping out all of the jelly bean knights just to make them generic soldiers is too much effort for me. I might as well just keep their heads and put them on entirely new bodies. That said, I did pick up a huge lot of 5999 Jayko when they were on sale from Chowren Toys. It was then that I decided my entire Morcian army would be light blue. The 8781 Castle of Morcia set is by far my least favorite LEGO castle to ever be released, though funny enough it is the first castle that I ever owned and built. I've seen a prototype image of what the designer had in mind originally, and it would have blown what was actually released out of the water. It is a shame they had to go with that. Someone mentioned above that they thought KKII builds surpassed those of KKI. While I love 8877 Vladek's Dark Fortress, I have to say that I prefer 6091/6098 King Leo's Castle (the only large structure released in KKI) to most KKII sets, including 8781 Castle of Morcia, 8780 Citadel of Orlan, and 8823 Mistlands Tower (all of which I own). I have to say though, looking back through those KKII sets, I did enjoy the sense of fantastical adventure they provided.

The Shadow Knights were great, one of the best "evil" factions LEGO has ever produced. But other than that, KKII didn't really have much going for it.

I'd be happy with something like either Kingdoms or Fantasy Castle and overjoyed if we see a return of some classic factions/shields like Forestmen, Black Falcons or the original Lion Knights.

A new castle line would be great! IMO the fantasy era sets where the best Castle sets TLG has ever made, followed closely by LOTR. I never did understand why people like the old Fright Knights and Black Falcon sets though, but that was probably because they were out before I serious about LEGO.

I never did understand why people like the old Fright Knights and Black Falcon sets though

I can only speak for me, but I have soft spot for the Black Falcons because they were my very first Lego sets back when I was a kid loving knights and history. The Lego castle line was my dream toy, followed by the pirates. So I have a massive nostalgia about them.

There is also the reason that the Falcons and the Crusaders/Lions did not come across as good vs evil, although Lego probably intended for the Falcons to be bad and the Lions definetely became the good guys later on. But back then, I did not care. They were just two factions. I liked that. And btw, in my kid's world the Lions and Falcons were not even enemies, just different noble families with their retinue.

There is also the reason that the Falcons and the Crusaders/Lions did not come across as good vs evil, although Lego probably intended for the Falcons to be bad and the Lions definetely became the good guys later on. But back then, I did not care. They were just two factions. I liked that. And btw, in my kid's world the Lions and Falcons were not even enemies, just different noble families with their retinue.

Same here. Falcons and Lions were just two different factions; there were evil individuals in both of them, but also good guys.

Interesting enough, Crusaders and Lion Knights were one and the same to my young eyes; they had the same colours, and the different shield figures was just a matter of "what this guy does in the Lion army." The first time I discovered there was any difference between Lions and Crusaders was a few years ago, when I joined EB (just after I left my Dark Ages). Till then, I thought they were one and the same faction. I did notice there was some difference, of course, but I never realized they were actually two separate factions. And the way Lego was released in Brazil didn't help much too. ;)

A new castle line would be great! IMO the fantasy era sets where the best Castle sets TLG has ever made, followed closely by LOTR. I never did understand why people like the old Fright Knights and Black Falcon sets though, but that was probably because they were out before I serious about LEGO.

Black falcon is the best classic faction. You will know if u are from tat era.

Interesting enough, Crusaders and Lion Knights were one and the same to my young eyes; they had the same colours, and the different shield figures was just a matter of "what this guy does in the Lion army." The first time I discovered there was any difference between Lions and Crusaders was a few years ago, when I joined EB (just after I left my Dark Ages). Till then, I thought they were one and the same faction. I did notice there was some difference, of course, but I never realized they were actually two separate factions. And the way Lego was released in Brazil didn't help much too. ;)

Difference? I thought it was just 2 names for the same thing. The only difference besides the change in label - which on BL appears to have occurred in 1990, is the simultaneous addition of 3 new items: scale-mail print, armour piece, and helmet with visor. The other 3 torso prints continued, as did the 2 shields. It's less of a difference than the Black Knights adding the same torso print, armour piece, helmet with visor, dragon plumes and new ovoid shield with new print - also in 1990.

I could understand you thinking that the Black Knights & Dragon Knights/Masters were the same side (due to the ovoid shield) then finding out later that they were different. That and the reuse of dragon plumes was the only similarilty with those 2 factions. But Crusaders different from Lion Knights? I don't think that they are.

Check out the entries on this page for the sets labelled Lion Knights or Crusaders, 1984-1992.