Smitty500

Custom B-Wing

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello everyone,

My name is Caleb a.k.a. Smitty500, and.. This is my first comment ever on Eurobricks. I wanted to share with everyone here, who has not already seen it yet, my latest MOC, the B-Wing. This MOC dates back to about 2012, I had the second incarnation 6208 B-wing, but was unhappy with how asymmetrical it was (especially the tail). I had a ton of grey 3x12 pieces, to make my own, and so I did. It never got any further than that, until recently when I decided to finish it. I wanted to complete it before LEGO had released their newer version.

View the full gallery here: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/392094

1404792020m_SPLASH.jpg

1404792213m_SPLASH.jpg

1404792308m_SPLASH.jpg

1404792605m_SPLASH.jpg

Cockpit is my pride and joy

1404792789m_SPLASH.jpg

Please let me know what you guys think!

Great work with the rotating cockpit - that may be the most space-efficient way to make it rotate that has been done yet. You might try shortening the S-foils (the fold-out wings), though; they seem a little too long the way they are.

Very nice job! This is what TLG's version should've been! You've captured every aspect of the B-Wing very well, and kept it at a perfect scale. I do have a few gripes, however. The smaller S-Foils are a little too fat all around, and the front of the cockpit doesn't scream B-Wing to me. Still, this is an amazing build.

Welcome to EB! :classic: I really like what you've done to slim down 6208, getting rid of those big, bulky curved slopes. :thumbup: I especially like the cockpit — very sleek — as well as the fact that even though you've left a lot of studs exposed, you've broken it up with some tiled or SNOTed areas, and you have some subtle layering of the studded plates. Even though I'm usually a proponent of the studless approach, I think your MOC looks quite good: coherently styled, but not so primitively studded as to be ugly.

Great work, and, once again, welcome!

Nice build. It would be nice if you could bulk out the engines a bit as they are looking quite puny, but finding suitable parts at the right size is tricky. Your cockpit looks to have been inspired by Tylers. His use of stickers is what makes it work so well in my opinion and yours would look better if you could do something similar.

Thanks for the Honest feedback! I know the wings aren't perfect but they complete the look of it. Especially for limited amount of bricks I had.

Very nice job! This is what TLG's version should've been! You've captured every aspect of the B-Wing very well, and kept it at a perfect scale. I do have a few gripes, however. The smaller S-Foils are a little too fat all around, and the front of the cockpit doesn't scream B-Wing to me. Still, this is an amazing build.

Ya, the cockpit is not perfect, but the B-wing cockpit itself is a hard thing to manipulate with LEGO. If only they made 6x6 cone piece, similar to that of the Millennium Falcons, that would be perfect.

Welcome to EB! :classic: I really like what you've done to slim down 6208, getting rid of those big, bulky curved slopes. :thumbup: I especially like the cockpit — very sleek — as well as the fact that even though you've left a lot of studs exposed, you've broken it up with some tiled or SNOTed areas, and you have some subtle layering of the studded plates. Even though I'm usually a proponent of the studless approach, I think your MOC looks quite good: coherently styled, but not so primitively studded as to be ugly.

Great work, and, once again, welcome!

Thanks Doc! I agree this thing would look a lot better with SNOT, but maybe a bit less stable, depends how you approach it I guess :)

you got instructions for this nice guy?? :)

I am sorry, I do not at the moment. But I am sure you could figure out most of it yourself! The engine and the Tail gun may be a little tricky, also, If you look at my gallery, I did do a break down of the cockpit, if that helps. ;)

Awesome! I'm not a b-wing fan, but if I was you , I'd update that pilot with a new helmet right away! :)

Thanks! I wish I had money for it :(

Nice build. It would be nice if you could bulk out the engines a bit as they are looking quite puny, but finding suitable parts at the right size is tricky. Your cockpit looks to have been inspired by Tylers. His use of stickers is what makes it work so well in my opinion and yours would look better if you could do something similar.

Thanks The Bear. I agree the engines are way too small. I am not completely satisfied with them either, just something to complete the model. And you are right! Tyler may have gave me some inspiration from his cockpit. The stickers do help, I may make my own when I get time and sticker paper.. I will admit, his is very impressive, I could not figure out how he attached it all together. So I made my own, and glad I did, those 1x4 slopes are awesome!

Thanks Doc! I agree this thing would look a lot better with SNOT, but maybe a bit less stable, depends how you approach it I guess :)

I wasn't actually trying to say that it would look better with SNOT better; I was trying to say that despite the fact that I usually like SNOT, I really like how you've done this studded, and I think it looks really good studded. :thumbup:

I wasn't actually trying to say that it would look better with SNOT better; I was trying to say that despite the fact that I usually like SNOT, I really like how you've done this studded, and I think it looks really good studded. :thumbup:

Oh! Sorry or misinterpreting that. In that case, double thanks! :blush:

Another great B-Wing build :) It's a shame LEGO can never get it quite right... but then again the fun is in improving on what has come before!

Welcome on EB and then you show us this amazing B-Wing "modification"!

Absolut good work in all details and it looks more better then the TLC set!

markus

Another great B-Wing build :) It's a shame LEGO can never get it quite right... but then again the fun is in improving on what has come before!

Thanks Renegade, I don't remember whether I started this MOC before or after I saw yours, but I do know I used your model as reference for some aspects of the ship. I do think yours, (though slightly too big,) is great! especially all the small detail.

Welcome on EB and then you show us this amazing B-Wing "modification"!

Absolut good work in all details and it looks more better then the TLC set!

markus

Thanks Markus! At least the new TLC set resembles more that of a B-wing compared to the previous two, Though it is still missing some crucial detail, and what bugs me the most is that it is not symmetrical. Why don't they they borrow the techniques from the UCS version and scale it down and make a nice model?

Welcome to Europbricks Smitty500!

Awesome work! I love your design…

Especially the cockpit. :blush:

But I guess the torpedos launchers located at the top of the main body are a little bigger than yours.