Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2015 Pictures and Rumors

The wings look really stubby in comparison to the body. I'm not quite sure what to think of this set. I would've liked a better interior.

First thing I noticed were the stickers on the side panels. Many large stickers in need of perfect application in order to look right is not a good thing in my own opinion.

First thing I noticed were the stickers on the side panels. Many large stickers in need of perfect application in order to look right is not a good thing in my own opinion.

I also dislike stickers; my solution is just to not apply them. I've got loads of sticker sheets in a Ziploc bag, and I'm probably never going to touch them. Really, it doesn't impact the looks enough to bother me, and I hate the sight of a misapplied or peeling sticker.

I do agree with Brickdoctor, this is a very well engineered set. It just isn't my kind of set - I'm not crazy about Wookiees, and a heap of tan bricks wouldn't be much use to me for MOC'ing. But the minifigures look like a great perk, now that I take another look. I might be picking them up on Bricklink at some point; I've certainly got to get that new face for Jarrus, and maybe the torso and legs too.

Edited by VK-318

It's very interesting that we're getting two hair color variants of Kanan so quickly. Perhaps original concept art had his hair being black?

It's nice that LEGO is actually correcting a poor color choice (yet we still get orange-hair young Obi-Wan…).

It's very interesting that we're getting two hair color variants of Kanan so quickly. Perhaps original concept art had his hair being black?

It's nice that LEGO is actually correcting a poor color choice (yet we still get orange-hair young Obi-Wan…).

And blonde Luke

It looks like from the pictures there is a pull out tray of some kind in the back. It's probably for guns, but I'd like if the wookies could fit in there. The more I look at this set, the more I'm beginning to like it.

Look at Gunship from behind:

http://farm4.staticf...f5cb39b74_b.jpg

Thanks for the link!

It looks like from the pictures there is a pull out tray of some kind in the back. It's probably for guns, but I'd like if the wookies could fit in there. The more I look at this set, the more I'm beginning to like it.

I like it as a set design, but I don't like it as anything in the Star Wars universe. I think it's a cleanly designed, interestingly shaped vehicle; it just doesn't fit in with the SW aesthetic. Great job, LEGO; the guys working on Rebels are at fault here.

Oh man all those stickers :cry_sad:

The set is pretty cool, as stated before it doesn't really fit in the SW universe but then again in the show it can look better.

I just want those wookies :laugh:

I don't get this 'doesn't fit in with the SW universe' thing. If the design came from an original Ralph Mcquarrie sketch then it does fit in (not saying it did). If it didn't, the Star wars universe is vast, far more vast than what we have seen in 6 films, a couple of cartoons and some books. Its MASSIVE, with endless possibilities, endless alien lifeforms with endless ways of designing their vehicles. Who are any of us to tell the makers of Star Wars what is 'Star Wars' and what isn't?

I agree, that it could easily look like something from Agents (if painted black) but almost all of the science fiction you see today is influenced by Star Wars, not the other way around.

I for one am happy that we are getting different vehicles that aren't part of the Rebellion or Empire - which is whats imprinted in everyone's mind that 'Star Wars' should look like.

I don't get this 'doesn't fit in with the SW universe' thing. If the design came from an original Ralph Mcquarrie sketch then it does fit in (not saying it did). If it didn't, the Star wars universe is vast, far more vast than what we have seen in 6 films, a couple of cartoons and some books. Its MASSIVE, with endless possibilities, endless alien lifeforms with endless ways of designing their vehicles. Who are any of us to tell the makers of Star Wars what is 'Star Wars' and what isn't?

Firstly, while lots of the work McQuarrie did is excellent, being a McQuarrie design does not necessarily mean something automatically fits in — after all, there's a reason that the concept wasn't used in the movies, and it may or may not be that George didn't think it matched the aesthetic he was looking for. Not saying that that's the case here, but it's worth pointing out.

Secondly, forgive me if I'm putting words into someone else's mouth here, but I don't think any of us are saying that the designers have to be constrained by previous work, nor are we saying that the vast Star Wars universe all has to look one certain way. We're merely saying that this design doesn't immediately scream "Star Wars!" to us when we look at it. We're not saying that the designers shouldn't be creative...we just don't really like where that creativity has ended up this time.

When you consider how different the appearances of various ground, air, and water craft produced in roughly 100 years is on this single planet of Earth, it should come as no surprise that an entire galaxy of populated systems with their varied inhabitants may produce craft that looks very different from the others...

Zeppelins don't really look like anything else.

Zeppelins don't really look like anything else.

"Doesn't look like anything else" might be realistic, but it doesn't equate "looks good to everybody." Zeppelins do look pretty unique, and they turned out pretty cool. This is what we want the Rebels designers and LEGO set designers to do. At the same time, it's easy to search for, 'ugly <vehicle>' (especially cars) and get some lists of designs that don't really look like anything else* and are fairly ugly because they don't fit in with what we expect and/or regard as attractive.

Again, do not infer that I am suggesting that the designers stick purely to designs from the OT. I'm not criticizing the creative decision, just this one particular result it produced.

*But don't ugly concept cars still look like cars? Well, even if they do, the Wookiee Gunship still looks a lot like a gunship. It shares a lot of major design elements with the LAAT/i, but I think most of us can agree that the latter, while looking nothing like anything else previously seen in Star Wars, looks a whole lot better than the former.

My problem with this would be that it looks too much like an earth vehicle. When Star Wars pastiches the earth it gets cheesy. For example, my absolute least favourite scene is Dex's in AOTC, which is an abcolute car crash.

I have to agree Dex's diner made out to be stereotypical New York diner was awful. However this gunship looks more like the Republic Gunship with smaller wings than anything else. I can see where you are coming from as well though - stick some propellers on it and it could look like something out of Modern Warfare.

How is this not 'fitting' in with other SW vehicles?

When I saw this:

75084_Wookie-Gunship_LSW-500x324.jpg

I immediately thought how much it looked like this:

001.jpg

It's basically just another LAAT, but not from the catalogue of Rothana Heavy Industries or maybe from a different model year.

Edited by rollermonkey

It's not "just another LAAT/i." Although they share a lot of major elements, the LAAT/i and LAAT/c are actually pretty angular, with rounded off edges. They aren't attempting to look bulkily animalian or organic.

As I alluded to above, ugly concept cars still share major elements with regular cars. That doesn't mean they look good and it doesn't mean that they fit in.

I not sure if any one has said it yet......but Wookies are awesome at re-engineering stuff remember ? :wink:

So it might have been a downed dropship and they took to it......and Wookie-ised it ? :wink:

It's not "just another LAAT/i." Although they share a lot of major elements, the LAAT/i and LAAT/c are actually pretty angular, with rounded off edges. They aren't attempting to look bulkily animalian or organic.

As I alluded to above, ugly concept cars still share major elements with regular cars. That doesn't mean they look good and it doesn't mean that they fit in.

By "just another LAAT" I'm referring to the general structure and purpose, not the relatively minor aesthetic design differences.

It is basically a Wookie Low Altitude Assault Transport... w/LAAT if you will. :wink:

Twin fore and aft cockpits: check

Twin chin-guns: check

Slab sides with doors that open for troops: check

Atmospheric craft: check

Differences are primarily aesthetic:

coloration

curve gradients

LAAT wings are less stubby

LAAT's single shoulder cannons are swapped for a twinned gun more dorsally mounted

The bubbles from the LAAT wingtops are lost and the bubble-guns are replaced by automated cannon just aft of the same position and connected to the wing-bottom instead

So.... to me it's as if the LAAT concept was copied by a different company, or this is a smaller model. (I'm looking at those 1x4 slopes running down the outsides of the cockpits of both.)

By "just another LAAT" I'm referring to the general structure and purpose, not the relatively minor aesthetic design differences.

It is basically a Wookie Low Altitude Assault Transport... w/LAAT if you will. :wink:

Being much more curved and painted with feather-inspired designs versus being largely angular is not exactly a "relatively minor aesthetic design difference." But yes, I've acknowledged a couple times already that it shares the same major elements and functions with the LAAT/i. I still don't think that it fits in or looks good. :def_shrug: Again, ugly cars share the same general structure and purpose as good-looking cars. They still don't fit in or look good.