For the ones who missed it, 2 days ago a new LDraw parts update was released. You can find more info here and here.

There are 262 new parts, which you can all see here.

Thanks to all the LDraw part authors :thumbup:

It is interesting to see that they added the new style worm gear,since Lego are not going to be using it for any of the currant technic sets.

parts/15457.dat - Technic Worm Gear 3L with Bush Ends

15457 (uncoloured) [DAT]

15457.png

It is interesting to see that they added the new style worm gear,since Lego are not going to be using it for any of the currant technic sets.

parts/15457.dat - Technic Worm Gear 3L with Bush Ends

15457 (uncoloured) [DAT]

15457.png

Any idea why it was discontinued? It's unusual for LEGO to spend several thousand dollars designing a new part and making mold for it, then stop using it a few months later. I doubt LEGO have earned back the cost of this part yet.

It was replaced by the old screw already a few weeks after initial sets hit the shelves. The few sets that had the 15457 were redesigned, and if you buy one of those sets today, it will have the old screw.

(I picked up a few 15457 from BrickLink a few months ago...my guess is this part will be a rarity in the future).

Interesting, indeed I checked the BIs from 42023, if they did redesign the model (and reprinted BIs!) there must be a major issue with this part!

You can still retrieve the old BIs that list the 15457 worm screw (follow the links on Brickset) but the LEGO site only lists the BIs with old part.

I asked Lego what is wrong with the part.

Hope they will answer within the next weeks.

I tried to make a Skid Steer Loader with the new worm gears but they are terrible. The axles kept popping out because of the tension. The axles holes/bushes should have had better friction.

I bought a couple dozen of these from LEGO, then went back a few weeks later for more and the part number doesn't come up. Talked to another guy and he said he ordered some with no problems so i,m not sure, maybe he got it in just before the change back to the old part

Edited by skylinedan