Sign in to follow this  
LucasLaughing

SoNE Freebuild "Pulling Rank"

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

We arrived on Endor in the afternoon and set-up our gear in a half-finished hallway in the temporary base.

14274170118_8d2b0a2a28_c.jpg

Corporal "Romeo" Pax and Staff Sergeant Brintt were cleaning their weapons and I was checking my ropes and climbing gear. The rest of the team was off gathering supplies and handling last minute details. That's when trouble arrived.

14437647946_ddccdd4755_c.jpg

They say not to judge a holo-book by it's front projection, but this guy had FOC written all over him (that's "Fresh Off Carida" for you new recruits). Not only was he wearing his full battle armor inside the base; he'd apparently also assigned himself a stormtrooper security detail. Still, we tried to give him a chance...

14274298957_7ced5cce1f_c.jpg

"Good afternoon, sir." Romeo called. The Lieutenant ignored him and stalked toward Sgt Brintt, who was still seated and cleaning his weapon.

14274135770_8a3d0f3a22_c.jpg

"There's an officer on deck - get on your feet, soldier!"

Sgt Brintt stood ... slowly.

14274105259_a4c10eeb64_c.jpg

"Now drop and give me 20!"

14480895553_53037b4b2a_c.jpg

Sgt Brintt looked past the LT and spoke in a calm voice. "Sir, we're working under the orders of Captain Parth, who is acting upon the authority of General Brickdoctor. The Captain has ordered us to be ready to go by 1100 hours, and this soldier believes that an unscheduled PT session would prevent us from meeting that deadline. Sir."

14274131119_110d165466_c.jpg

The Lieutenant's threats and insults were shouted at such a volume that he failed to hear the sound of metal thumping on metal,so when Sgt Brintt suddenly straightened up and saluted, the LT wasn't sure what was going on.

14459647924_575a15b58d_c.jpg

He figured it out pretty quickly.

14437652166_224ec5a198_c.jpg

Captain Parth spoke in a low growl. "Staff Sergeant Brintt."

"Yes sir?"

"I want you and the men to take a 10 minute break ... elsewhere," the Captain said.

"Yes sir."

14274125010_0aa0392453_c.jpg

We walked around a bend in the hall, far enough that we were out of sight, but still in hearing range. I spend time with some rough crowds, but I hadn't heard curse words used that frequently, or that creatively, since boot camp.

10 minutes later, a pale and shaken Lieutenant walked quickly past us and we went back to work.

"He wont be giving you any more trouble," Captain Parth said as he left, but I had a feeling we hadn't seen the end of this particular officer.

---

Part 2 of the story is here: Into the Wild

Part 3 is here: War Stories

Funny. It shows arrogance isn't the best quality to have.

Nice little story. Very entertaining.

I see a very clever use of pieces combined with great photography, a certain proof that studless isn't the rule of coolness.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Your story and your build are both amazing. I love the different uses of minifig heads and some of the tricks you pulled (like making it seem that Parth's head isn't 2 sided). Great job!

Even though this is only a temporary base, I find the build a bit unfinished. Like it's been put together too quickly just to tell a story. There's mostly plates used and little detailing on the walls. The crates are nice and so is the figure positioning. I like the use of different heads for the Lieutenant but you have to be careful with that. I haven't seen anyone's eyebrowse get very bushy if they're angry :grin:. As for the story, I got carried away and commented on it in your episode entry ...

It definitely looks like a base that was quickly landed on a planet, with the crates and exposed wires. Good job!

Funny. It shows arrogance isn't the best quality to have.

Nice little story. Very entertaining.

I see a very clever use of pieces combined with great photography, a certain proof that studless isn't the rule of coolness.

Thanks for viewing and for the kind comments!

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Your story and your build are both amazing. I love the different uses of minifig heads and some of the tricks you pulled (like making it seem that Parth's head isn't 2 sided). Great job!

Thanks! I did have to do quite a bit of head switching for this one ... it's a good thing I keep my minifig heads organized by expression :classic:

[...]

I like the use of different heads for the Lieutenant but you have to be careful with that. I haven't seen anyone's eyebrowse get very bushy if they're angry :grin:. As for the story, I got carried away and commented on it in your episode entry ...

Oops, I missed that detail ... maybe the LT has powers like the Hulk, but not quite as impressive. "Don't make me angry ... you wouldn't like my eyebrows when I'm angry..." :laugh:

It definitely looks like a base that was quickly landed on a planet, with the crates and exposed wires. Good job!

Thanks!

I'm very glad to see another of your very interesting stories taking shape! As always, you succeed to portray kind of every day scenes with a flair that makes them interesting, not because of sudden events, but by slowly building up to something. This scene has something menacing, something comedic. But it doesn't get generic, because tension is in the air. I have no idea how you do it, but I'm in awe nonetheless.

Of course not only your stories are great. Your builds are always very succeeded as well. This time, you made the best sloppy build I can imagine! Don't get me wrong: I think your did a great job in portraying a hasty mess. with the exposed wires, back of the parts showing through and everything still in crates, waiting to be unpacked, but unlikely to ever get very tidy. All the sacks really seem to belong there, so naturally are they positionned, and all the gear that has been unpacked, actually serves a purpose. So I think this provisionary camp is rather succeeded! Still, I think some kind of refinement would have served the creation well. You see, there's nothing wrong with building a messy scene, but you also have to make sure people don't just think you're a sloppy builder. to portray something raw and crude, you don't have to build that way. You can make prefab-looking elements that are in themselves actually quite well built. You can have exposed wires, but those can be installed with a lot of craftsmanship. For this particular build, there could have been a closet on the wall where all the wires converge, complete with dials and the like. that won't destract from the tempory aspect, as that is just a prefabricated element. And those panels on the ground. they're nice, but lack a bit of refinement. So instead of using big pieces, you can make something quite nice from a couple of smaller pieces. there could be grill tiles in it if you want the same effect, or even hatches for maintenance. Then you could make a couple of those, with exactly the same look, but obviously seperated to give an impression of tiling. That would bring the repetition element, thus evoking the efficient but fast building of the structure. And for a really unfinished look, you could have spots on stands, because the true lights haven't been installed yet. Those kind of touches would make it look like a work in progress, but still would make for a very skillful build.

But no matter how you did it, you did a great job in portraying the atmosphere and setting the scene for the story to follow. Good work on the positions of the minifigs (especially with Sgt. Brintt: excellent posing of the legs to give a tiny bit of nonchalance), and of course with the story. I'm glad to see SoNE keeps inspiring you to tell amazing stories!

Still, I think some kind of refinement would have served the creation well. You see, there's nothing wrong with building a messy scene, but you also have to make sure people don't just think you're a sloppy builder. to portray something raw and crude, you don't have to build that way. You can make prefab-looking elements that are in themselves actually quite well built. You can have exposed wires, but those can be installed with a lot of craftsmanship. For this particular build, there could have been a closet on the wall where all the wires converge, complete with dials and the like. that won't destract from the tempory aspect, as that is just a prefabricated element. And those panels on the ground. they're nice, but lack a bit of refinement. So instead of using big pieces, you can make something quite nice from a couple of smaller pieces. there could be grill tiles in it if you want the same effect, or even hatches for maintenance. Then you could make a couple of those, with exactly the same look, but obviously seperated to give an impression of tiling. That would bring the repetition element, thus evoking the efficient but fast building of the structure. And for a really unfinished look, you could have spots on stands, because the true lights haven't been installed yet. Those kind of touches would make it look like a work in progress, but still would make for a very skillful build.

Thanks for the feedback; those are really good suggestions! I like your idea especially of the electrical box and the stand lights; they would have given it even more of an "under construction" feel without looking sloppy.

But no matter how you did it, you did a great job in portraying the atmosphere and setting the scene for the story to follow. Good work on the positions of the minifigs (especially with Sgt. Brintt: excellent posing of the legs to give a tiny bit of nonchalance), and of course with the story. I'm glad to see SoNE keeps inspiring you to tell amazing stories!

Thanks! I was quite happy with how Sgt Brintt's pose turned out. I find one of the ongoing challenges and pleasures of building is coming up with ways to make the minifigs look more life-like, with posing and such. Now if only I could find a good way to make a prone sniper...

Can only say great work!!

Love all the details and the text to the individual scenes.

markus