LegoSjaak

MOD: 10197 Fire Brigade XL 64 studs wide

Here is my latest Modular MOD. It is the sixth modular that i made an XL version of. I take two sets of the original and then MOD it into one large building. Hope you like it. The interior is also adapted to the larger space inside that is available.... 14369738646_ab55fd07f7_c.jpg14413005723_ca05fc2000_c.jpg14206195779_619349353a_c.jpg

Personally, I prefer the Fire Brigade as a single set, because I don't like the asymmetry in the front of your MOC. But that is only my personal opinion.

I really envy you your two sets because FB is a fabulous Lego set :wink:

Personally, I prefer the Fire Brigade as a single set, because I don't like the asymmetry in the front of your MOC. But that is only my personal opinion.

I really envy you your two sets because FB is a fabulous Lego set :wink:

It is a kind of funny that you mention that...normally i would build only symmetrical modulars, but this set was different.. Because it is so great, i wanted to use almost all parts of both sets... Other XL Modular MODs are only 16 studs wider or so.. but now i thought it would be better to make something different this time. That is why i made it asymmetrical.. But i see your point.. anyway it is good enough for me to leave it like this! Thanks for you comment!!

Better than the Photoshop-version, but I still don't like it. It's clearly visible that this MOC is put together by combining two sets.

But let's stay positive: There is room for improvement! :wink:

From top down:

The part with 1932 should be wider. Instead of using just the ornament in your version to the right, you could have made more space around the "writing".

1st floor: I do like the way how you made the two windows to the left. Center the bigger window and continue the same way right to it. No 2nd big window.

Ground floor: The three drive-throughs are just bad. What is the building in between good for? I would skip the opening to the left, put both garage door next to each other and continue with the buidling to the right.

And yes, somehow I envy you too because of the two sets. :laugh:

Excellent modifications there 'LegoSjaak'......it has a realistic feel of being a huge city fire station.

Brick On 'LegoSjaak' ! :grin:

I think you can lose some of the street lamps. And if you can move the two garage doors next to each other, it may look less like a merging of two sets.

Better than the Photoshop-version, but I still don't like it. It's clearly visible that this MOC is put together by combining two sets.

But let's stay positive: There is room for improvement! :wink:

From top down:

The part with 1932 should be wider. Instead of using just the ornament in your version to the right, you could have made more space around the "writing".

1st floor: I do like the way how you made the two windows to the left. Center the bigger window and continue the same way right to it. No 2nd big window.

Ground floor: The three drive-throughs are just bad. What is the building in between good for? I would skip the opening to the left, put both garage door next to each other and continue with the buidling to the right.

And yes, somehow I envy you too because of the two sets. :laugh:

Thanks for your comments... Point in most cases is that i have only the parts available from the two sets..And with those parts, i'll have to do the job.. And doing so, i ran into some nasty things, limits, that i had to deal with somehow.. The inside of the garagedoor is way wider than it seems outside, so that is why i put a roof in between the garage doors.. The opening to the left is to create a place where the trucks can be washed.. that is why it is open as well. And to keep more or less the same facade as the garage doors, i decided to leave it open. I agree i should do something with the 1932-part of the building.. maybe i'll cover both of the 'big windows' with it... There is still some work to be done, but without purchasing a lot of extra parts, it is hard to make other arrangements.. I thought it would be easy, but it would only be easy if i would only widen the original building with an extra window on both sides.. so 2 x 10 studs... well, i'll consider the comments and will see what i will do!! It is the hardest building to MOD from the last 6 modulars.. the other 5 were pretty easy......

I think it's the asymmetry in the building that's causing the most doubt amongst the commentators. That could be fixed by shuffling the #4 entrance bay to be alongside #3 and making the bell tower with 1932 24-wide straddling both bays.

On a more positive note I do like the opening to the left - that's a good detail and the whole building sure is imposing. It's now got a scale that fits well with the rest of your City.

Oh, and I'm very happy to see you didn't include the two anemic and underwatered trees... :laugh: Mine went straight into the parts bin when I built my FB.

What country do the flags represent, I can't tell. Interior images, details?

Like the original the flags represent the U.S. of A.

In a very downsized version I admit.

Hello!

I'm curious what you could come up with the interior, don't tease us, show!

Thanks for sharing!

I think it's the asymmetry in the building that's causing the most doubt amongst the commentators. That could be fixed by shuffling the #4 entrance bay to be alongside #3 and making the bell tower with 1932 24-wide straddling both bays.

On a more positive note I do like the opening to the left - that's a good detail and the whole building sure is imposing. It's now got a scale that fits well with the rest of your City.

Oh, and I'm very happy to see you didn't include the two anemic and underwatered trees... :laugh: Mine went straight into the parts bin when I built my FB.

I think you're right with the assymetry... i even think it goes a lot further.. I think that most Lego-builders are a certain kind of people that like symmetry and that is why there might be some comments on this version.... I agree with the comments, but do not know how to get more symmetry in it, without having to order lots and lots of parts.. Building entrance 4 next to entrance 3 seems easier than it is.. on the inside, the entrances are a lot wider, and they would take too many space.. But there might be a way, i'm still thinking how to do it.. because i have to admit that this building is just not IT....On the other hand..having another symmetric building might not satisfy me......The trees are on the backside... the two dogs that come with the FB sets are continuosly watering the trees so they might turn yellow in a while... :grin: My concerns about the opening on the left are now gone after your positive remark... it is a kind of alley so they can reach the place behind the building and as said, you can wash the firetrucks there..

Hello!

I'm curious what you could come up with the interior, don't tease us, show!

Thanks for sharing!

The interior is not schocking, that is why i didn't show it.. but i'll take some pictures and post 'm... ! I used almost only the original parts....so don't expect too much of it.. :wink:

Like the original the flags represent the U.S. of A.

In a very downsized version I admit.

i'll have to change that into the Dutch flag.. this one is red white blue... so modding it won't be too extreme....

14369735226_865e1b31ae.jpg

Edited by LegoSjaak

Not a well made combination, as it is not symmetric. Normal Fire Brigade looks better.

what about two original sets next to eachother?

I quite like it! I'd agree with some others over the fact it's not symmetrical, but hell, most buildings near me aren't symmetrical after years of renovation and decline and repair and demolition. I do like the tunnel though, with all the fire vehicles Lego make, you'd think the fire service would need a spot at the back for some, or to wash or repair the current fire fighting equipment. I don't own the original, so I'm no expert, but to me the tunnel and the window look like an extension of the original, if you look at the front only. As others have said I'd say to improve perhaps an attempt to make it look more uniform or something like that would be good, though ultimately I'd go with what you feel is best. Either way, I look forward to seeing the interior!

Edited by Dr Leg O Brick

I also agree that the Fire Brigade is just too small as it currently sits. I do not have another set but am REALLY thinking of expanding it by making it a 32x40 building or maybe 32x48. I like the small look to the front and think if you go with 2 bays instead of just the one, I would put the doors closer together and make the windows on either side 2x3 instead of 2x2.

With all that said, I would love to see the interior and might even have mine done within the next week to post some pics!

I also agree that the Fire Brigade is just too small as it currently sits. I do not have another set but am REALLY thinking of expanding it by making it a 32x40 building or maybe 32x48. I like the small look to the front and think if you go with 2 bays instead of just the one, I would put the doors closer together and make the windows on either side 2x3 instead of 2x2.

With all that said, I would love to see the interior and might even have mine done within the next week to post some pics!

Can we see the interior?

Here some pretty boring pics.... 14466090192_494feb73ae_z.jpg14444330826_67491e1393_z.jpg14444327206_75c45512b5_z.jpg14466270644_86bca4e6fe_z.jpg

Did i show this already? 14280819510_ba25326fd9_z.jpg