just2good

LEGO Ideas: 21110 Research Institute/Female Minifigure Set

im also quite glad it's not a franchise this time. getting a bit sick of so many TV/movie/game franchises being used.

It looks pretty nice, but I wonder why they changed the name?

The original name, Female Minifigure Set, wasn't a good name. It sounds like a parts pack rather than an actual set. The name of a set needs to evoke a clear image of what it looks like. They decided upon the name "Research Institute" because it unifies the different vignettes under the umbrella of scientific research.

Edited by Arigomi

im also quite glad it's not a franchise this time. getting a bit sick of so many TV/movie/game franchises being used.

It's undertermined. As discussed, the main dissapointment is the lack of original prints that appeared in previous licensed sets. There is so far no official explanation for the budget allocation so far.

This is one of the stupidest posts I've seen on this topic. Firstly, it's bizarre that you think this is "a set made by men for women" since, like ALL Ideas/Cuusoo sets, it is based on a user-submitted idea—in this case, a design made BY a female scientist who wanted to see more people like her represented in sets. The final set is not significantly different from her proposal, so this isn't at all a case of patronizing men deciding they know what women want in a set—unless you're alleging that the majority of supporters on Cuusoo were closet sexists. Secondly, there's nothing wrong with a set that includes all male figures OR a set that includes all female figures, especially for a small set with three figures each (after all, if you pick three names from a hat with an equal number of men and women, it's not even that unlikely that you'd end up with three of one or the other). What IS wrong is that there are so many sets with all male figures in so many of Lego's themes, yet outside of the Friends theme a set with three women and no men is practically unheard of. This set does a great job of starting to correct that imbalance.

I actually instead agree with the OP and I find this reply very rude and aggressive.

After all it's a toy.

And even if it was to represent reality with high fidelity (ad it's NOT), you don't see the same ratio of man and woman wherever you go.

If I go taking a classic dance lesson, I will find (nearly) exclusively women there.

If I walk into a sexy shop, I will find (nearly) exclusively men there.

Since men and women DO have different interests, it's pretty normal to find them in different places doing different things.

I actually instead agree with the OP and I find this reply very rude and aggressive.

After all it's a toy.

And even if it was to represent reality with high fidelity (ad it's NOT), you don't see the same ratio of man and woman wherever you go.

If I go taking a classic dance lesson, I will find (nearly) exclusively women there.

Since men and women DO have different interests, it's pretty normal to find them in different places doing different things.

Agreed. It's a toy.

After all it's a toy.

Right on! I found OP's post to be spot on as well, and your point is quite well developed too. The set just feels pandery. It feels to me like the creator felt jaded. She worked hard, became a scientist, and for whatever reason she sought out validation in a little yellow plastic toy and didnt find it. She saw Captain Jack Sbarro and a bunch of dudes with guns and whatever (cause thats what kids like to play with) and was outraged that there were "no" female scientists, when all along all she had to do was have the creativity and desire to just use a plain smiley head, on casual clothes without printed on hips and tittays and call it a female scientist. In making this set, all lego did was take its most basic bodies with tittays and gave them faces with glasses on and called them "scientists" we all could have done that already, minus the sensual womanly curves that not every woman has and the stereotype that they wear glasses (ok, theyre goggles cause shes a chemist I get it, and we could do it with curvy bods, cause we have 2 of these already, from every city set ever). What a win for women cause there's now 1 new sexy lego with boobs and pouty red lips! Get real guys.

Edited by autorazr

It's true there are stereotypically masculine and feminine Things To Do, but science is not one of those things.

for whatever reason she sought out validation in a little yellow plastic toy and didnt find it.

People look for and can feel alienated when they don't find representations of groups with which they identify in the media. "The Media" includes toys such as LEGO - and this set contains 3 female characters engaging in activities that are not stereotypically feminine. It's an issue of diverse role models for small children - in the same way the Friends sets have karate studios and classrooms in addition to horse-riding and pool parties.

A lot of what is being said is based on a political political paradigm that may or may not be acceptable to all. So, can we just at least pretend this is a toy and keep our political/social truths to ourselves? My wife is a very successful attorney and just shrugged her shoulders and rolled her eyes at this discussion. Except for a couple of my comments, and I'll pay the price for those. Trust me.

It's true there are stereotypically masculine and feminine Things To Do, but science is not one of those things.

People look for and can feel alienated when they don't find representations of groups with which they identify in the media. "The Media" includes toys such as LEGO - and this set contains 3 female characters engaging in activities that are not stereotypically feminine. It's an issue of diverse role models for small children - in the same way the Friends sets have karate studios and classrooms in addition to horse-riding and pool parties.

Right, thats why I am an actual G.I. Joe today, cause as a kid I identified with them so heavily. Sorry to clarify, I am not a soldier or anything close, that was sarcasm.

Edited by autorazr

A lot of what is being said is based on a political political paradigm that may or may not be acceptable to all. So, can we just at least pretend this is a toy and keep our political/social truths to ourselves? My wife is a very successful attorney and just shrugged her shoulders and rolled her eyes at this discussion. Except for a couple of my comments, and I'll pay the price for those. Trust me.

I'm not even sure what you're saying. Can I take a guess? "My wife and I think this is a stupid discussion, so uh, can you guys stop?" yeah man it is just a toy, but we arent all children, and life aint that simple for us. I care and want to discuss this cause I do feel strongly about gender equality, i want people to stop making it about toys and media and start making it about how you actually treat people. The media and how women are represented in it shouldnt matter, mainstream media is all filth that depicts anyone and everyone in the most stereotypical ways, lego used to exist outside of that mainstream as all figs were one color representing all races and had one body type representing all male and female bodies, it was beautiful.

FYI, the new August calendar makes no mention of the set, so either the date still hasn't been finalized or they'll be pushing it to September (which would make me wonder when the Exo Suit will finally emerge).

I wonder when the exo suit will first make its appearance as that's two sets now that were approved after it and yet released before it...

Anyway, I like what they have done to make this into a set, as many have stated though, disappointed in the minifigures.

Given the complexity of the design and the fact they had to have a big meeting to discuss it, probably not for a long time. It may get shelved to if they can't come up with a design. These last 2 sets were easy in comparison.

Edited by Tech Artist

I'm not even sure what you're saying. Can I take a guess? "My wife and I think this is a stupid discussion, so uh, can you guys stop?" yeah man it is just a toy, but we arent all children, and life aint that simple for us. I care and want to discuss this cause I do feel strongly about gender equality, i want people to stop making it about toys and media and start making it about how you actually treat people. The media and how women are represented in it shouldnt matter, mainstream media is all filth that depicts anyone and everyone in the most stereotypical ways, lego used to exist outside of that mainstream as all figs were one color representing all races and had one body type representing all male and female bodies, it was beautiful.

Well, I absolutely not mean to offend, but maybe it could be that you are over sensitive on this topic.

I feel like "well, that's a toy" as I already stated, I feel that if lacking equality is wrong indeed, it may be even wronger to charge a toy of all those political meanings.

One thing that I find very strange since I joined this AFOL community is that most people think they are the target for LEGO, while we aren't.

KIDS are target for LEGO, so 99% of the kids will like toys representing their world. Boys will like boys minifigure, girls will like girls minifigures. That's it.

Kids aren't blamable for equality.

I actually when I was a kid removed the femail hair and put hats on minifigures to have less girls and more boys in my town.

Of course I am not taking myself as the majority, that's just my personal experience.

mi·sog·y·ny

məˈsäjənē/

noun

dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.

Well, in all fairness, I've never seen a lot that on eurobricks. Certainly not flooded with it. I have seen people like me who, once gender bias is brought into the discussion, can't resist 'pulling a few chains' just for the sport of it. I've worked with enough women attorneys over the years to become gender neutral, so to speak. We also have to appreciate cultural differences since this is a world wide forum. People in liberal American states probably have a different opinion of a woman's place in society than people in other cultures in other parts of the world.

should we demand a male minfig for the Friends line?

There are already male minidolls in the Friends line.

(I do wish available in a cheaper set. But I'm looking for the perfect set to get just to get a male doll!

Currently trying to decide between Jungle Bridge rescue and Ariel's Magic Kiss

Edited by Sarah

Well, I absolutely not mean to offend, but maybe it could be that you are over sensitive on this topic.

I feel like "well, that's a toy" as I already stated, I feel that if lacking equality is wrong indeed, it may be even wronger to charge a toy of all those political meanings.

One thing that I find very strange since I joined this AFOL community is that most people think they are the target for LEGO, while we aren't.

KIDS are target for LEGO, so 99% of the kids will like toys representing their world. Boys will like boys minifigure, girls will like girls minifigures. That's it.

Kids aren't blamable for equality.

I actually when I was a kid removed the femail hair and put hats on minifigures to have less girls and more boys in my town.

Of course I am not taking myself as the majority, that's just my personal experience.

I dont see how you think I may be "over sensitive" when you reiterate my point, are you also over sensitive? All I said was treat women better, and women will be more equal, dont bother with toys, because they're toys.

Wow, I'm really suprised to see this topic being flooded with misogyny... not.

10/10 to the set, will buy.

It's like witch hunting. You see misoginy where I don't. People obsessed with homophobia, racism, misoginy and the like will see them everywhere.

I don't think so. I'm pretty far from being obsessed with misogyny, and I'm seeing lots and lots of it in this thread.

I work in software development. The usual stereotype is that software developers are male, nerdy, introverted, and with poor social skills. Guess what? The majority of employees in my current company are female - as were the majority of employees in my previous company. They come from a wide variety of educational backgrounds (mathematicians, electrical engineers, QA engineers, organizational scientists, economists, IT managers, etc) and are every bit as competent as their male counterparts. If anything, I'd say that they are more responsible and dedicated than "us guys."

As Larry Lujack once said to Rodney Dangerfield: 'Huh?'

guy, you gotta quote who you're responding to. I know you think you're clever and you think you might be making someone else look less clever, but we dont know who, so its not working. Also, you're lucky if these people know who rodney dangerfield is let alone larry lujack.

I don't think so. I'm pretty far from being obsessed with misogyny, and I'm seeing lots and lots of it in this thread.

I work in software development. The usual stereotype is that software developers are male, nerdy, introverted, and with poor social skills. Guess what? The majority of employees in my current company are female - as were the majority of employees in my previous company. They come from a wide variety of educational backgrounds (mathematicians, electrical engineers, QA engineers, organizational scientists, economists, IT managers, etc) and are every bit as competent as their male counterparts. If anything, I'd say that they are more responsible and dedicated than "us guys."

Where have you seen misogyny in this thread? Quote those examples please. There was one poster who suggested making a set specifically any gender is wrong and some people myself included who agreed, thats not misogyny. Give examples, it is necessary to proving your point. The example that most of your coworkers are female is not an example of anything really, most of mine are too, no one in this thread has ever said anything along the lines of "women cant _______."

Edited by autorazr

Oh boy! So many posts that are not about the set.

Oh boy! So many posts that are not about the set.

To be fair, neither this project nor the CuuSoo voters who drove it were ever about "the set" either. And therein lies the problem with the whole thing. Or at least the point of debate. Yes it's a nice little set in its own regard, and the Dino skeleton is cute. But would this be getting anywhere near production if it was not "social justice in toy form"? And can nobody see where this quickly becomes a dangerous path for Lego to go down? (Note today's stories regarding Greenpeace going after Lego for its decades old partnership with Shell.)

Edited by Faefrost