Sign in to follow this  
Barduck

MOC UP "American Beauty" sleeper coach

7 studs wide and over 60 studs long, the first of a total of 6 planned coaches is finished. (well not totally, I've changed the design of the bogies now but still need to get the parts to build them. The design I'm going with is based on the ones J.J.Williams a.k.a. DmChylde did on his heritage coaches as seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/89867050@N07/9578691801/in/set-72157635202325131 . They will visually look the same but the technic used to get them is somewhat different)

All I need now to finish this baby are the stickers which JopieK will be making for me (when he finds the time ;) )

The pictures:

14118413248_2756795b99.jpg

14301725481_eff780854a.jpg

14301723951_0f5821313b.jpg

14118386499_11e5229397.jpg

14118441890_1b84918b3a.jpg

This last one I've taken from a distance, it make the coach almost look like a model instead of LEGO

14118385169_598a217de4.jpg

UP "American Beauty" sleeper coach by Barduck12, on Flickr

Again instructions are available on my Bricklink store: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Barduck

Parts can get pretty pricy, specially the windows, but I've included instructions for a work-around on those

Enjoy

Very nice. And those bogies are actually quite nice I think. But that most be some big train if there are 7 more cars to come.

not 7 more, this is the first of 6 planned so 6 in total :wink: My SD-60 shouldn't have much trouble pulling them wit 2 PF train engines and once I've changed my Big Boy to have 4 L-PF engines instead of M-PF ones she shouldn't have any trouble pulling them aswell. And even if the Big Boy does run in to trouble I can always do like IRL, put the SD-60 at the end (reversed) (IRL they use the diesel for extra breaking power)

The problem with the current bogies is also that I can not seem to find the person on Flickr that designed those, can't recall his name and searches don't give me anything. Should the person that designed those recognize them could you please say so, at least I can then credit for those (allthough, like I said above, I'm not going to use them further once I've got the new ones build)

Edited by Barduck

The car looks fantastic. I love all the detail you got on the roof and underside (1x1 round tile on 1x1 round plate looks so good). Could have been an O gauge model.

The one odd quirk about this vintage of passenger cars is that the doors opened inward, e.g., this one. I have no idea how you could build that at this scale though, the doors themselves are two parts (top and bottom), then the trap door lifts up and clicks into the lower half of the door, while the stairs fold down. Very complicated mechanism, but I digress.

Your doors are as good as anything that could be done in lego (at least as far as I am aware of) and they are a nice homage to some of the recent sets (EN, HE)

The car looks fantastic. I love all the detail you got on the roof and underside (1x1 round tile on 1x1 round plate looks so good). Could have been an O gauge model.

The one odd quirk about this vintage of passenger cars is that the doors opened inward, e.g., this one. I have no idea how you could build that at this scale though, the doors themselves are two parts (top and bottom), then the trap door lifts up and clicks into the lower half of the door, while the stairs fold down. Very complicated mechanism, but I digress.

Your doors are as good as anything that could be done in lego (at least as far as I am aware of) and they are a nice homage to some of the recent sets (EN, HE)

maybe at double the scale it would be buildable like that but what use is the coach then :sweet:

maybe at double the scale it would be buildable like that but what use is the coach then :sweet:

Quiter... lol

I don't want to push it :wink: going to make a nice dent in my wallet as it is

They are from this set btw (can't seem to find any pictures of the real ones so a link to a modelrailway site): http://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/052874/HO-Brass-Model-Train-TCY-Coach-Yard-1385-SP-1954-COSF-City-of-San-Francisco-SP-UP-CNW-11-Car-Set

Edited by Barduck

I've always wanted doors like that as well, and have tried just about everything, only to end up contemplating the possibilities of this part:

6078.jpg?0

Cutting some of these to 3 studs long, painting them the appropriate color, and fixing glass in the ones for the upper door segments might yield something pretty close to a real train door.

On another note, the only thing that really bothers me about this model is that the gangway connections look a bit too wide. The doors are also a bit too large, but other than that, I really like the smoothness and realism of the whole thing.

You just need super wide radius curve then (grin)

I've always wanted doors like that as well, and have tried just about everything, only to end up contemplating the possibilities of this part:

Cutting some of these to 3 studs long, painting them the appropriate color, and fixing glass in the ones for the upper door segments might yield something pretty close to a real train door.

Oh, good point, there might be a few flags or other very thin parts that MIGHT work. Or perhaps using battle droid arms (30377) you could get a door that does not have the right motion but does have the two correct stopping points. If it is possible, I bet it would be very tricky to do.

Hum... maybe snotted hinge bricks right at the edge of the door would work to get the door to open in.

Hello alias Barduck,

I hope you will forgive me something provocative question. What did you say how long are the platforms in your Train-station?

I apologize, I do not mean bad, but I could can not resist.

Best regards Udo

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hallo alias Barduck,

ich hoffe du verzeihst mir die etwas Provokante Frage. Was sagtest du, wie lang werden die Bahnsteige in deinem Bahnhof ?

Ich entschuldige mich, ich meine es nicht böse, nur ich könnte nicht wiederstehen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen Udo

Hello alias Barduck,

I hope you will forgive me something provocative question. What did you say how long are the platforms in your Train-station?

I apologize, I do not mean bad, but I could can not resist.

Best regards Udo

:grin: I get it, lol. These will only be used on shows. At home there's no station anyway so that doesn't matter anyway. I think the longest station that's used alot on the show of our LUG (BeLUG) is 12 straigths, so it'll not be able to serve the whole train

Edited by Barduck

Nice work. I built some similar but 8 studs wide for ATSF and 2 level ones for El Capitan. I too had trouble with the doors, in the end I put them on jumper plates. They looked good for the baggage car especially.

I don't want to push it :wink: going to make a nice dent in my wallet as it is

They are from this set btw (can't seem to find any pictures of the real ones so a link to a modelrailway site): http://www.brasstrai...-CNW-11-Car-Set

Same site I am using for Refference pics, well and Railpictures http://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/030424/OMI-UP-Union-Pacific-Power-Car-207

Great job! Hope to see them for real next BeLUG meeting ;)