Sign in to follow this  
coghilla

[WIP] Road rail knuckleboom crane

Here is my knuckleboom crane that was inspired by the SRS KRT20 semi trailer road rail crane. Still need to finish the stabilizers and others bits but i say its mostly there.

As road-rail unit it can travel on both rails and the road. This enable it to travel to the work site without holding up precious track time. The crane has a reverse knuckle boom to enable works below the cantinery wires.or OLE (overhead line equipment) expandable counter weight at the rear.

The double track wheels at the rear of the truck and trailer enable the loading of the whole unit from any road crossing up to 90 degrees. Watch the video to see it in action. I managed to squeeze a train weight into the trailer for extra support and ballast. This will be the first of a couple of SRS vehicles that i plan to build.

The links below are to the product pages and a youtube video i found. Any questions please ask away

http://www.srsroadrail.se/downloads/cat_view/20-modulesothers/42-semi-trailer

http://www.srsroadra...rs/semi-trailer

http://www.srsrailuk...nne-metre-crane

14094643240_f87152ab56_c.jpgUntitled by coghilla, on Flickr

14301447013_dd6561cc82_c.jpgUntitled by coghilla, on Flickr

14094645450_a8dd268436_c.jpgUntitled by coghilla, on Flickr

14277927761_617d381478_c.jpgUntitled by coghilla, on Flickr

Edited by coghilla

It occurred to me that I left out a few details of the build. I have added these to the first message.

I am surprised I'm the first to comment, as this is really cool! Very interesting type of model and pulled off well, I like how you did the piston arms on the crane itself.

Once you realise what you're looking at, you realise that is a really good model of it. Also, having watched the video, that thing is mental!

Thanks guys. I finished off the model last night. Looks a lot better. Will try for a few new pics in the next few days.

I'm not 100% happy with the piston arms. I think I need 2 pistons on the bottom. but that will interfere with the pistons for the top hinge.

I started on a second SRS vehicle last night. Hopefully that will be finished for the photo shoot (fingers crossed).

This is a great original idea! the truck looks like it could be one of the new city sets. I especialy like the old lego technics V8 tile on the front.

maybe the trailer is a bit to long. the original looks way smaller

Great design, my only question would be the nose of the truck.....have you copied the design of a real one here ?

Brick On 'coghilla' ! :grin:

Nice work! From the first picture I thought it looked a bit <insert that tiresome argument>, but it looks great through and through! Nice job.

Great design, my only question would be the nose of the truck.....have you copied the design of a real one here ?

Brick On 'coghilla' ! :grin:

Hi lightningtiger, it has been hugely inspired by the actual SRS KRT20 machine. Links in my first post above. The pic here shows a standard front rail wheel setup. Volvo. I have seen others on the net with lights infront as well (http://ditzj.de/html/en/trucks/scania/dsb124.html) the unimog style truck from a few years ago is a good 4x4 setup but I dont like for a standard truck setup. hence what i've done. I played a lot with click hinges and clips trying to get it to work.

This is a great original idea! the truck looks like it could be one of the new city sets. I especialy like the old lego technics V8 tile on the front.

maybe the trailer is a bit to long. the original looks way smaller

Cheers the V8 was in the tile box, not sure if they are really V8, but its still cool. I agree it looks too long. I think version 2 will be better. (fingers crossed) Part of the issue is the rail bogie folds up, the length of the lego crane boom. Version 2 not sure but may drop the lego boom and go for a more stylised knuckleboom crane. Also the clearance for the rail adapter from the prime mover.

Nice work! From the first picture I thought it looked a bit <insert that tiresome argument>, but it looks great through and through! Nice job.

Not sure what you mean??/ :sceptic: But thank you for your comments.

The prime mover has a large compressor to provide hydraulic pressure for the crane.

Here are some pics from todays photos.

Album:

14318875305_f6f8ee2867_c.jpgRoad-Rail crane by coghilla, on Flickr

14295716816_4335cbeb52_c.jpgRoad-Rail crane by coghilla, on Flickr

14132202298_8de96421b9_c.jpgRoad-Rail crane by coghilla, on Flickr

14132216129_427451f3c0_c.jpgRoad-Rail crane by coghilla, on Flickr

Enjoy