Let me guess, your steering links are not parallel with the wheels' axles. That means you have an inverse Ackermann geometry, meaning the outer wheel turns more instead of less. Either make the steering links at least parallel, or place the rack and links between the front and rear axle.

I see this mistake quite a lot of times.

You would be correct. The links form a slight trapezoid in the front. Since there is no room behind the axle I will try to make them parallel. Thanks for the tip!

Tim

don't forget about the shifting mechanism operated by a servo :)

it will help you a lot!

dwvz40.jpg

Thank you for all of the kind comments!

I realized that my scale was off (new scale is 1/9) so I have changed what wheels I am using and also gave the chassis a massive overhaul. I am thinking a composite studdless and studded frame will give enough support.

edit_t4i_19741.png

As always, let me know what you think below!

tim

Wow, that is what I should do for the Ferrari I'm building!

Thank you for the inspiration!

Edited by Ttimman

With my first year of college/university finished, I have returned home for the summer. After being away from Lego for 8 months, I was a little rusty at first. That didn't stop me from deciding to completely rebuild the corvette frame and suspension. Here you can see the front unequal length wishbone suspension, featuring caster, camber, and kingpin inclination. There is a negligible bump steer, but considering this is just Lego, I think it is acceptable. I would be happy to receive comments and critique.

11212142_964071630279532_8561222715687871664_o.jpg

Tim

Edited by timslegos

Looking good but I am a bit worried that the lower ball joint might pop out when the suspension is compressed. Mounting the shock to the upper arm wouldn't work and connecting the arms might not be possible due to the diffrent lenghts.

I just started learning how to make technic RC cars, its great to see this progress. keep up the good work.

Do i recognise my (or at least inspirationed by mine) front axle there?

Edited by tibivi

Do i recognise my (or at least inspirationed by mine) front axle there?

https://flic.kr/p/o9MU9Z

Nice to see the project is still on the go

Also really cool to see my idea in such a great project

Tibivi

Wow great minds must think alike! I discovered (or was inspired) to create that design back during last summer, so unfortunately I do not remember how I came about the design. Considering they are almost exactly the same, it would be quite the coincidence if we each came up with it separately!

tim

Beautiful shots! And everything looks great :)

I have a question though, wouldn't the wheel hub snap out of the lower wishbone if enough pressure is applied?

I have a question though, wouldn't the wheel hub snap out of the lower wishbone if enough pressure is applied?

That is certainly a possibility, however, given the relatively low load applied to the hub when driving, it should not be a problem.

tim

Great idea with the suspension, but I am not a big fan of shocks not having an even mount... It works well for the LBG shocks with weaker springs, but not so much for the hard spring yellow ones.. I am sure that your design will meet your needs though.. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would change the black pin connector (double hole perpendicular) and the gray pin connector with axle, for two 3x3 L-shaped liftarms.

As far as I can see, you're using the bottom pin hole for an axle, the one on top of it for a pin, and up-right hole to connect the shock absorber with a pin.

Simply switch to two L-liftarms and the result should be stiffer.

Can't wait to to see more progress!

It feels good to finally have a rolling chassis. I shopped at the lego store today for the new snowmobile set so I could use the new suspension arms in the front. The front suspension has proper unequal length arms as well as the proper 6 degree caster. I am having some trouble with the steering linkage though. Can anyone explain why there is such an extreme difference in the angle of the wheels? Also credits to Piterx for his very nice linear gearbox.

edit_t4i_22104.png

tim

Could we have some more pics of the gearbox?

Could we have some more pics of the gearbox?

I believe it is Pitrerx's 3+R gearbox. There should be more pictures on his website as well as various Eurobricks threads.

tim

It doesn't look much like it.

It may look different due to the frame I put around it and the way I packaged it, but it is certainly his gearbox.

tim