62Bricks

Let's Play LEGO I Spy

I like to buy large, unsorted lots of pieces online. Once I receive them, I wash them, sort them, look for complete sets or rare pieces that can be re-sold online, and put the rest in my collection.

I just bought this lot yesterday and it is now being shipped. This is the time when I'm like a kid at Christmas, excited to see what will be inside the box. I can hardly wait, so I spend the shipping time poring over the pictures trying to identify unusual or rare pieces and looking for hints about any sets that might be mixed in. I've already made a couple guesses - anybody else want to play I Spy? Tell me what sets you think make up this 17-pound lot.

Click on the photo for a full-size image

13377965645_5014bab7a2.jpg

I spy one of these! It's an unusually big one though, you may have done a bargain here.

I see a cat thinking kitty litter! I can't leave LEGO out like that around my cat. Otherwise, it wash LEGO time...

I spy some 4 wide vehicle bases.

I'm going to guess maybe some of the old space sets....I spot a lot of those light grey pieces like the small engine, angled nose pieces in the front, and a satellite dish.

Maybe a few of those brick/piece tubs you buy with random bricks

Nice collection of base plates - those run 5-10 bucks each.

I spy one of these! It's an unusually big one though, you may have done a bargain here.

Unfortunately, that piece was not included in the lot.

4.5v train motor in blue

Yes - but the battery box near it is black. I don't find any sets that have this combo! So either it's just mixed and matched from other sets, or maybe it was an alternate color in a set?

I'm going to guess maybe some of the old space sets....I spot a lot of those light grey pieces like the small engine, angled nose pieces in the front, and a satellite dish.

Nice collection of base plates - those run 5-10 bucks each.

Definitely some space pieces, and I think based on the various parts I can see, this set might be part of the lot:

6952-1.jpg?0

And yes - those 16x22 baseplates are desirable. These ones look a little grungy but hopefully will clean up.

Looks like City and Space sets from the 80's and 90's.

Definitely some of that in there, but I also spot some 1960s/70s parts - anybody else spot them?

I also spot some of these:

3943b.gif?0

but I can't tell if they're with or without the axle hole. If they have the axle hole, they're possibly from a Blacktron set and maybe worth a dollar each. If they are the older style without an axle hole, they are pretty scarce and probably worth $3-$4 each.

Sorry to be off topic but man, this comment made me laugh. I was looking closely at the picture, zooming on the details when all of a sudden this huge cat appeared on my screen. A bit like this video jokes when they ask you to come close to the screen and listen carefully... Just to scare the hell out of you with an unexpected scream.

This looks like a nice selection of pieces and they appear to be in good shape... Enjoy the sorting!

I received the lot a few days ago and have been sorting it by color so I can more easily look for complete sets.

13491604813_74b19d901f.jpg

As we suspected, the parts are mainly from 1980s space and city sets. There are some older pieces, however, including several waffle-bottom plates and some Samsonite bricks. I know most people don't care about these, but since they remind me of my own early days playing with LEGO, I don't mind finding them mixed in.

Here's an oddball brick I found:

13491221375_aa2e07227e.jpg

What's so strange about it? Well first of all, it stands out from the other red 2x4s because it is shinier and has a slightly orange shade - this is because it's made from cellulose acetate plastic. That's not so unusual. It also has the "modern" font that came along in 1962, which means this CA brick must date to about that year, as the switch to ABS plastic started in 1963 (according to Gary's guide).

It also has the mold pip on the side edge, and no cross supports underneath, like other bricks of this era:

13491220765_079d180818.jpg

But it's missing something you usually see on bricks from this time - it has no Pat. Pend. mark on the inside. Neither does it have the little rough patches where the Pat. Pend. mark was obscured in the mold. According to leggodt.nl, the Pat. Pend. mark started appearing in 1962. In the extensive list of variations of the 2x4 brick at that site, this particular variation does not appear: CA, no cross-supports, side edge pip, modern font, no Pat. Pend.

It would seem this brick was made at that specific time, probably in 1962, before LEGO switched to ABS but after they started using the modern font and before they started molding Pat. Pend. on the pieces.

I'm pulling lots of complete sets from this lot - here's one of them (the minifigs are from my own supply of vintage figs I keep for completing sets).

1497 Rally and Pitcrew:

13520876905_4a171836f3.jpg

Sweet. I love those old floor jacks.

I do, too.

Here's a complete Futuron set I filtered out. 6878 - Twin-Winged Spoiler:

13521483085_575d3757d0.jpg

At least three large Classic Space sets are also in this lot, including these two:

Solar Power Transporter (Complete except for minifigs)

13521797484_199e17ca47.jpg

FX Star Destroyer (missing one printed slope piece and one printed slope piece damaged - replaced from my stash)

13521572803_52ca75f63f.jpg

I have also pulled out a large, complete Blacktron ship and two smaller Classic Space sets I haven't built and photographed yet. So far my $75 set has yielded about $250 in complete sets at current Bricklink prices.

Edited by 62Bricks

The Blacktron Renegade - complete set, with all the printed bricks! This auction lot was a pretty good buy.

13670004443_3791b2a7ec.jpg

You might have a business shaping up here! Buy bulk lots for cheap-sell complete sets-keep leftovers.

You might have a business shaping up here! Buy bulk lots for cheap-sell complete sets-keep leftovers.

That's pretty much how I financed my present LEGO collection! Although complete sets are not so common - Minifigs are a more reliable market.

I think u can go for a SETI satellite form that lot and a very big one u know which can receive msgs. from another universes...

goooo custom

Here's another lot I just got on eBay. Just a bunch of old Samsonite plates, right? The kind you usually pick out of your mixed lots because they're old and warped? Well, yeah, mostly - but there are some treasures in here. Can you spot them? (click the photo for the full size):

14150221272_e383608510_z.jpg

Can't see something special :laugh:

I did the same, sometime buying from online and washing and sorting is my hobby. I find a piece and I think, ooh, wonder what set it's come from and I love restoring old sets :laugh:

Daniel.