Alfadas

Would you like the Vikings theme to return?

I have been playing with my LDD, and came up with a nice fantasy Viking ship. It isn't enough for a set, as it would need some objective or action, but it is only 270 pieces currently. This is just a rough design.

(snip)

Thats a great LEGO version of a Longship - I especially like it because of the scale - the previous Longships didnt seem scaled right to me. Either the designers combined two rowboats, which looked rather puny a and couldnt sit tow rowers side by side, or they used the big prefab parts also seen in the Fantasy line Troll Warship, which seemed oversized, since it rivaled the LEGO pirate ships in length. Your version look like a perfect middle road. But I worry that the airplane hull is too smooth for a Viking ship, with its clinker/lapstrake hull style. If TLG made this mold in with the texture of the Viking/Troll hull pieces, it would be perfect.

One point of criticism, though - a distinctive feature of a longship was the raised bow and stern, which are missing in your version.

Oh, and I also love the way you created the bick-built sails.

Yes, I know the bow and stern need to be extended upwards. I will be revisiting this, but I wanted to see if the airplane parts could achieve the look and functionality of the old castle boats. As for the horizontal wood look, that could be achieved with stickers or printing, as Lego is wont to do. I tried to give the build some of that by alternating reddish brown and dark brown plates as I raised up the sides.

As you stated, the original large Viking ship was too large. I bought the smaller set. Lego also reused the same basic build of that set for one of the Hobbit sets.

I was thinking of making a small ice flow and a 'frost giant' enemy. I was considering doing the 'frost giant' in a similar manner to the Crystal King from the Power Miners theme. I envisioned what I was building would be along the lines of a $50 set.

Hello everybody! I've had something on my mind for a while now and I want to hear your opinions. Since the Lego Middle Earth themes are most likely ending soon, we know we're going to get a new line of Castle sets. So my question is, how many of you would like to see the return of Lego Vikings? I think this would be something different since we haven't gotten a theme like this for a while and, if I'm correct, the Viking sets sold pretty well. Besides, most of the sets had a cool formula to them; structure/weapon of some sort, viking(s), brick-built monster to fight. So, do you guys think this theme will make a comeback? And if it does would you be willing to check it out?

I also would love to see the Vikings return, but I would hope for more historically accurate helmets and more structures instead of siege weapons. The original line had some nice parts, but I do not like the huge horns on the helmets (that really are not historically accurate) and the Vikings never really used siege weapons. I am also not a huge fan of the beasts as enemies, but it is an excellent conflict idea to sell the sets to children, so we would likely see them again if Vikings do return. Mitgardians could see many more useful and updated minifigure parts, and I could only hope for the incorporation of green and yellow in the garb and buildings :grin: .

I think the title of this topic is kinda misleading :sceptic:

I would love to see The Vikings theme returning, though.

Yes, I would love to see the vikings return. I really miss those old sets. However, I would rather have more middle earth sets than have vikings return.

I think we already have had a topic about the possibility of future vikings sets, though it's probably buried a few pages back. But yes, more vikings sets would be quite nice. I would definitely be buying them if they did come out, if just for the minifigs.

Before starting a topic like this, please do a little bit of research and you'll find a topic about this. And indeed the 2015 added suggest there are rumors about this... Merged with the old topic!

Before starting a topic like this, please do a little bit of research and you'll find a topic about this. And indeed the 2015 added suggest there are rumors about this... Merged with the old topic!

Oops, yeah I just really was itching to write about it. I will remember to do that in the future. I also apologize if I hyped up anybody...