Sign in to follow this  
Logan McOwen

How/when would you want Bionicle to return?

Okay, so I'm not exactly one of those 'BRING BACK BONKLES' people, but looking into a lot of Bionicle stuff lately got me thinking as to how it could return (not that it should or will). Now before I blather on about what I thought up, I'd like to hear what you guys think.

So, theoretically, how would you like Bionicle to return? As toys again, or as a series of movies, or books? Also, when do you think would be a good time for a reinvention like that? A few years from now, or next Tuesday?

Let Hero Factory run its course. Maybe another short, couple year Constraction theme, then bring it back.

What I'd want would be a reboot/continuation. Have it be set far in the future in the same continuity. But so far ahead in time that past events are obsolete to the story.

Secondly, a continuing story, but a simpler one than the original. And a TV show. Like, a real TV show. Not like HF's individual once-a-year specials.

And CCBS. I'd like to see Bionicle tackled in the new system. But I'd want new, more detailed parts.

(Oddly enough I was thinking about starting a topic like this. Never got around to it, though)

I wouldn't want Bionicle to return. I feel it told the story it needed to tell, and I don't see any point in retreading old ground when Lego could just as easily create something new that could be better.

If it had to return, the only conditions that I would feel must be satisfied would be that it had one core story medium that remained consistent over the course of the theme, that that core story medium be a visual one, and not one limited to text, that it maintain the same target audience rather than pandering to old fans, and that the theme as a whole would continue to have a line of Lego sets at its core, and not rely on media alone. Any other conditions (whether it's done as movies or TV or comics or whatever) would be largely irrelevant to its quality.

I'd definitely want it to return as a series of toys. Not only is there really no other realistic solution (the LEGO Group would not continue the theme on their own or give up the rights to a third party if they couldn't tie it in to their core business), but a lot of BIONICLE's greatness came from its foundations as a building toy for kids (not, as some people would posit, in spite of those foundations). I would obviously want it to have supporting story media, but without a quality toy line as a backbone, we might easily see the same sort of aimlessness as the later BIONICLE serials.

Those toys would ideally be designed in Hero Factory's character and creature building system or an evolution thereof, but may use either the existing family of shells or a newer and more detailed system of shells, depending on whether you wanted to maintain the high-detail BIONICLE aesthetic or re-imagine the theme with a more streamlined appearance. I'm not sure which I would favor — I find the streamlined look of Hero Factory parts much better for building in general, but the high-detail BIONICLE aesthetic was one of its defining features.

Story-wise, I think the best bet would be something like what the Legend of Zelda franchise does as a general rule — a brand-new story, largely detached from previous stories, but which exists in the same overarching timeline and maintains the same core story elements that tied the original theme together. The main conflict between the forces of Makuta and the forces of Mata Nui was at the core of pretty much every BIONICLE story arc, and so it should remain with a new theme.

Perhaps a cult of evil-doers could attempt to either revive Makuta or follow in his footsteps, and in order to prevent worldwide calamity, a new team of elemental heroes might have to take up the mantle of Toa in order to seek out the Mask of Life in hopes that Mata Nui's dormant spirit might be able to help avert this dangerous threat. There you go, you've got not only Toa in service of Mata Nui fighting the followers of Makuta, but even a mask quest! Classic.

Of course, the other constant within the BIONICLE story was the Matoran Universe as a biological analogue. While kept secret for many years, this would have to be maintained. So perhaps the goal of reclaiming the Mask of Life would be to use its power and Mata Nui's dormant spirit to bring life to a brand-new Matoran Universe, and getting it fully operational so it can take to space to avert a new cosmic disaster could be the overarching story for the first few years.

Some things from the classic BIONICLE storyline would have to be eliminated for simplicity's sake. Having the Matoran/Toa/Turaga species coexist with the Agori, Skrall, and Glatorian species (the third of which never even got an official name) would complicate things, since you'd have a number of races which are, for all intents and purposes, identical except for their in-story biology. There is no way to eliminate this issue which would please everyone. Having some of the races simply die off for various reasons would be tragic and would throw the original story's resolution (having the races coexist) into question. The best solution, in my opinion, would be for the races to adopt one shared culture and to physically evolve to the point of being interchangeable.

The new "Matoran" people in this story framework I'm thinking up on the fly would have no innate elemental powers, like the Agori, Glatorian, or Skrall, but they would have innate elemental affiliations, like the Matoran. They would simply be called Matoran, meaning the people of Mata Nui. They would have the capacity for romance (the Matoran's inability to enter romantic relationships probably spared Greg Farshtey a lot of shipping drama, but it was never explicitly stated in the actual story material and was actively contradicted for the sake of creative storytelling on numerous occasions).

Through certain mysterious energies, the Matoran would have the capacity to become Toa — heroes with elemental powers and the ability to use magical Kanohi masks. But ideally, this story would begin much the same way as the 2001 BIONICLE story — there have not been Toa on Spherus Magna for a very long time, so for many they are thought of as a mere legend. But if we really wanted to appeal to nostalgia, we could say that the names of past heroes have been passed down for generations, so like in the Legend of Zelda, our new heroes could bear the same names as the heroes of the past.

Toa, when their duties as Toa are done and their destinies as Toa fulfilled, could become Turaga elders, but this might not be essential mythology for the very beginning — if there have not been Toa for a long time, then it's possible that there have not been true Turaga for a long time either. Save that for when the first chapter of the overall story is finished.

Now, this is all hypothetical. I do not particularly want to see BIONICLE again. It had a good run, and told a beautiful story, but there is no particular reason why I would want BIONICLE back when instead we could have a brand-new story theme with the same level of heart and magic and energy to it. Ideas in general, and good ideas in particular, are an inexhaustible resource. This has always been my belief. And as long as there continue to be people with the same amount of creative energy, then there will be the potential for new and powerful stories to be created.

Trying to take an old story and change it to suit a new audience is of course possible, but is it really worth the effort if with just as much imagination you could create something brand new? Now, of course, there are franchises that have gotten better via revival. I wouldn't be a brony if there weren't something special present in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic that wasn't in the My Little Pony toys and cartoons that existed throughout my childhood. But unlike those situations, I was happy with BIONICLE as it was. It wasn't schlocky or shallow. It set ambitious goals for itself and, for the most part, it met them. I think it makes more sense to try and create a new kind of magic. I won't say "a new BIONICLE" because that means something different to everybody, and BIONICLE to its credit was never created with the goal of filling the shoes some other theme had left behind. It broke entirely new ground, and I think any new theme that hopes to be as powerful should strive to do the same.

Edited by Aanchir

I agree with some of what Aanchir said - it would only have a decent chance of coming back with a fresh start... maybe all the way back to the unique and awesome combination of islander and robot that made it so amazing in the first place. I think it could be re-released as a major movie, much like with Transformers - get Hollywood directors and a ton of brilliant effects and fight scenes together to remind the current adult population of something that was cool when they were kids.

As a consequence, there would have to be some adaptations to fit the screen, like making the Toa and Matoran into creatures of flesh with robotic skeletons and a few important details, like one or two exposed pistons and glowing heartlights. Masks could change to face-painting for the Matoran, maybe, with full details for the Toa. People like to see people in movies, after all - even superheroes spend at least half of their screen time out of costume. Plus, to be honest, they would probably want to cast some attractive stars and have characters who can take off their masks to show some emotion.

That said, these changes would affect the toy re-release as much as they would the story. There could be a medium between the smooth, sleek parts of HF and the industrial, get-r-done aesthetic of the original Toa, mixed with the details of the various elements. How exactly they would do this is beyond me - the Lego system will change considerably in the time that it takes for this plan to line up, and they might have parts and technology that would fit the demand perfectly.

Finally, to recap what I said at the beginning, the story should go back to year one: the Matoran are suffering from rahi attacks organized by Makuta. This is how I envision the movie working:

- In the beginning, a narrator gives some history in the style of Turaga Vakama in the story. Makuta is evil, etc.

- Someone summons the Toa at extreme personal risk, probably racing rahi to the Kini Nui at night. End scene with a flash of light.

- Morning on a beach. Canister washes up, its contents explode out and assemble themselves into a Toa (which one, I don't know), growing organic parts over the robotic skeleton as if fuses together. The Toa arms and equips, then heads inland.

- Gradually the Toa make contact with each other, the Matoran and the rahi. Some Matoran stars are introduced as well, possibly the Jaller-Halhi love interest.

- The plot develops with mask-hunts, rahi fights, and drama between the Toa until they are ready to enter Makuta's lair.

- As the climax approaches, plot twists emerge to throw experienced fans for a loop (Nidhiki is one of Makuta's servants, Metru Nui is mentioned in different context, etc.)

-The Toa fight Makuta in an epic battle, the plot twists again, drama/love interests are resolved or cooled and the movie ends on a high note.

-The credits roll accompanied by film score, a bonus scene hinting at something in the next movie is snuck in, and the movie ends.

Next year, reboot with the new system, try to bring back the whole original/tribal type feel that felt a lot more original than Hero Factory will ever be.

Bring back the same feeling of this poster:

12803162524_b6befec824_o.png

That's my 2 cents at least, havent read any other replies or gone too much in-depth.

Edited by VBBN
Please keep photo sizes under 800x600 (your photo was 1280x1024)

I always compare the possibility of a BIONICLE comeback with other toy lines. I remember many years ago those spinning tops called Beyblade. I really liked them and many kids in the school collected them and played with them on the playground. Of course like every toy line it gets replaced by something else that gets the interest of kids. But 1 or 2 years ago Beyblade made a comeback with a reboot getting the interest of kids again.

But BIONICLE is different. It was a toy that evolved for 10 years. And that is an important factor. You can't really replace something people liked for 10 years. We all know what hate Hero Factory sometimes get (especially the first year of its introduction). And we all know you can never replace BIONICLE. The story, the involvement of the fans, I can go on and on because I was there from the start. Does that mean I absolutely want it to return? No, it was there when I needed it. When I was a child and played with it in ways I'll never do again.

Personal opinions aside and now to the question of the topic

I see three options how BIONICLE could return.

All three option will of course be using the CCBS. And I'll have no problem with it. We're all used the the CCBS now and it works better than the older Technic based system IMO.

1) A reboot of the story

Simple said: the 2001 vibe all over again. The simple story, character going on a heroic quest to collect their powers and defeat the evil that lurks around the island. Back to Mata Nui, back to where it all began and start over.

2) Continuation of the story

We continue where we left. We won that war against the evil that threatened us for years and we are on Spherus Magna trying to build up a society between different species and races. However that doesn't mean Spherus magna is safe. There are still evil creatures around. main antagonist would be the Skakdi Fusion. And we would start with a team of new Glatorian and/or Toa to go on a quest to defeat him.

3) Prequel

There are so many untold stories and unexplored locations in the Matoran Universe that we never saw. The story would take place in the same universe but way before the events of the awakening of Mata Nui and in the southern parts of the Matoran Universe. Or we can go the untold stories of Bara Magna. We have endless possibilities that would be interesting for new fans as they won't need to know the story that LEGO told us for 10 years. And it would please old fans with new stories of their favourite toy line.

But in the end, it is still the LEGO company that makes the decision for us.

Edited by Sparky

If it was ever brought back I'd like to see it as a re-imagining of the original years, but with the designs closer to the original concept.

Bigger masks that actually look like Tiki and motifs based on Voodoo. Also, no metallic colors, silver especially, they would be replaced by earth tones to represent crude wooden armor and equipment.

The story could be simplified by keeping it vague, by not really giving any direct explanation what these strange mechanical savages are, or what exactly is the shadowy presence lurking on the island really, don't reveal any finer details about what's actually going on.

That's how I'd go about it. I hope any of my rambling makes sense.

TL;DR: make the sets look like a simplified version of this and keep the story as it was in 2001, but maybe even simpler I guess?

Edited by WARHEAD

I've always thought it would be cool to see essentially an "alternate universe" take on BIONICLE, but on a massive scale; ignoring the fact that BIONICLE actually introduced AU's, just do a completely rebooted timeline, but keep all of the same universe elements and just do different things with them. Have our first team be all Fire Toa or something. Just draw from the rich world that exists but play with our own expectations of the story and the universe in a broader way. Plus, that way we wouldn't have to have them spend any money on new names :U

Ideally, of course, I'd like BIONICLE to return, but I'm pretty neutral as to how or when. Preferably some even newer iteration of the building system, after a fashion, but I can't imagine what that would look like.

Edited by Dorek

http://androidarts.com/legoproject/ <--- preferably with a building system like this

and maybe in about 5-10 years

with spherus magna being kinda culturally mixed up sorta, so diff environments and themes like it was doing before, with diverse heroes that switch up every so often. (wooh, skakdi and vortixx good guys as canister sets) and a not so complex story, just sort of, "oh, bad guy is taking over a city, while were here, better go stop him, but while were at it, lets talk about the lore of the past story and talk about why things are the way they are in this one"

i dunno, just a more chill, relaxed kind of tone to the story would be cool, with a future spherus magna, but i super doubt thats gonna happen

When Bionicle ended and HF began I thought "Okay well maybe we'll see this come back in another ten-15 years." I'm sure most of us who were long time Bionicle fans and those where were there from the beginning like Sparky and I can draw the correlation between themes like Rock Raiders and Power Miners, the Ninja theme and Ninjago, or the Mission to Mars and Life On Mars themes. My point is Lego is no stranger to pulling a theme out of the vault, dusting it off and giving it an updated vibe to fit with the audience of the time. I see no reason why this can't happen with bionicle.

As for when I'd like to see it. I think because of the long evolution that bionicle had that Sparky mentioned. 10 years after a 10 year long theme almost seems too soon for that "wow they brought that back" vibe. I think another ten years on top of what we've already got sounds about right. Give it a nice breath of silence and a generation to come up in between, like they did with the Ninja theme and Ninjago.

How would I like it to come back? That's really a tough question. I think it would have to walk a fine line between drawing the new audience in but because it was so iconic and a grown breaking theme, I think lego would have to be very mindful of the people coming back to it who knew it from the old days. Lego loves building on its heritage. So I don't see why there couldn't be a mix of old and new within the toyline itself. If they can bring back some of the old iconic elements(tahu's flame sword for example) then that'd be great, but new molds of the classics might help with the integration of the current system at the time. It wouldn't be any different than them recreating the HF 1.0 hero's heads in Brain Attack to fit the new heads and visors they introduced. I definitely think keeping the more detailed aesthetic is important. Those kind of parts came about because lego had really taken to using CAD and computing power to design the parts. I don't see why making detailed parts would be so hard come 2025 So I personally would want that pistony biomechnical feel back. Lego's use of multicolored parts(I'm thinking specifically of the chima UB's heads) and rubber+plastic molding technology has come a good ways in these past couple of years so maybe a toa torso with some rubbery fleshy bits could work to. I say classic lego revamping of a theme should be used. Take what worked from the previous theme, keep some actual elements from it but integrate what's come along since then and allow for the newer innovations to make it better. Very much like they do with the Star Wars theme and actually recreating the same vehicles or scenes over again.

Story wise. I think I would fell best about a complete reboot. Tell the story over again but refined and more planned out this time. Like a Super Hero movie reboot. Bionicle was an amazing story, but towards the end it got too convoluted and confusing, and I was an avid follower of the story. I can get sucked into Biosector nowadays link hopping and reading up on all the little various things that come up just reading one character or place's bio. If you look at bionicle now I personally think that it looks very much like a story that was made up as Greg went along. The reboot should allow for a longer arc of preplanning and navigation of Narrative. Kinda like Lucas writing all seven episodes of Star Wars before the first one was even made.

I do kinda long to see the toa Mata step out onto a beach again and go on the journey to discover themselves. But I would like to see that in a more visual medium. Again when Bionicle came along the technology wasn't quite there and lego didn't quite have the means to give it that visual justice I feel it needed. It wasn't till a few years later that they summed up the resources to start telling the story in a visual manner that worked. I maintain that at least the first two movies did a good job at telling the story, because they were serious attempts to tell a deep compelling story in a serious manner, and not slapping a bunch of dumb kooky voices onto the characters and making them dance around like loons. I think if bionicle were to come back at that time there would likely be many creative industry professionals who could site bionicle as an influence and would be very enthusiastic of bringing those iconic characters back to the screen. I know I would be.Heck if I ever make my way into the creative industries(like I hope to) and became successful at it. I'd take a stab at proposing a big comeback of Bionicle to lego. I personally have enjoyed the recent retelling of Batman's story through Christopher Noland's eyes, as well as Superman. I see no reason why bionicle couldn't be retold as long as it was handled by someone who respects and understands the core material and wants to do it justice.

In summery, I would like to see bionicle brought back and redone. Because it was told well, but I think it could be retold better as many of the stories we love have been in recent years.

Mostly, I feel that the thing that killed Bionicle was exactly what made it interesting: there was always some old story that you hadn't didn't remember fully but would like to read again, always some interesting story that you felt you were making an effort to find. Because of that contradiction, it would be hard to bring Bionicle back properly. A lot of the time, when rereading, I find out that the story itself was kind of mediocre, but just written well. It's the method of delivery of the story that made Bionicle as interesting as it was, and I highly doubt that LEGO could recapture that. So no, I wouldn't want it to return.

Edited by DraikNova

I want another thing like MNOG/Bohrok animations/Bohrok-Kal animations. Anything that Templar would do (except something like the bug monster MNOG II).

I'm not especially interested in new bionicle sets. I'm not really interested on new HF sets neither. I'm mainly interested by new parts. And everything done by Templar, the real masters of Bionicle.

I want another thing like MNOG/Bohrok animations/Bohrok-Kal animations. Anything that Templar would do (except something like the bug monster MNOG II).

I'm not especially interested in new bionicle sets. I'm not really interested on new HF sets neither. I'm mainly interested by new parts. And everything done by Templar, the real masters of Bionicle.

Who are these Templars you keep speaking of?

As long as it keeps the CCBS I don't care how or when it comes back.

If the story's good, that's great! If not, oh well, still got the CCBS to work with.

Ideally though if Bionicle is brought back it'll be done with less swiping words from native cultures to use as robot names. =V

Who are these Templars you keep speaking of?

Templar Studios was the developer of the original Mata Nui Online Game.

And yeah, I'd agree that no other theme has ever had a better vehicle for worldbuilding than that game. Even Bionicle couldn't match it in later years.

I think it's too late for Bionicle to return. If Lego brought it back, it would not be for the old-time fans; it would probably be there to draw new young kids, and would therefore be kind of lame for T/AFOLs. I was, like many people here, pissed off at Lego when they discontinued Bionicle, and if they could bring it back and start from there as a continuation of the original story, it would be awesome. However I think that a reboot would not really be linked to the original very strongly.

ya know what would be cool? restarting bionicle, but not telling anyone about the line

just call it something totally different, and let us figure out that its bionicle from certain descriptions

(ex: a mechanical warrior travels to a volcanic city/a toa travels to valcanus)

so, it WOULD be bionicle, entirely, it would just be that very subtly

I think Bionicle shouldn't come back. It was great, now its over. However, a reboot would be nice. Like with the original plot and systematics of the story. Another idea is that the original story is an alternate universe, and the reboot the prime universe. The building style should stay "classic" if there would be a reboot, but with more aesthetics and with HF technic parts. Just a thought.

I don't want Bionicle to coming back (and I think we all know it's not coming back anytime soon) but as a movie or book maybe. Because bionicle have it's run from 2001 to 2010 and if it come back it's not going to be the same Bionicle as you know, the story is going to be way different, Tahu may not be the big main character and the build is going to be like Hero Factory builds. I mainly stop follow the Bionicle and Hero factory story (but I make a Hero Factory story as a side thing) because I am making my own Story now.

I think I'd love to see BIONICLE make a return as a big screen, big budget movie, or a trilogy of movies. Can you imagine the epicness of seeing the BIONICLE logo on the screen with an awesome blend of tribal and technological music in the background? :P

I think it'd also be interesting to see LEGO retell the original story from a new perspective but that can easily go wrong.

-Gata signoff.png

Well I would like to see it come back but like in about 10 years or so. The only thing I really liked about Bionicle was the barraki line.