Yawgmoth

2015 LEGO Pirates Rumors and Discussion

Thanks a lot just2good! Hope youre feeling better!

The final sets are pretty surprising. The bluecoats are simply updated versions of the classic ones, instead of a redesign. Much easier to integrate them. Even more surprising is the green version of the classic blue pirate torso. The ships cook looks great, as does the governor/admiral/whatever. I wonder if the boy in the BB is Bosun Will, or at least a shout out to him. I wonder in general how much of the characters wil be named/specific, and how much of those will be classic characters (Redbeard? Broadside?)

So the female imperial really is more of an action girl than a damsel in distress. OK. Palm treees are still pailm trees, frogs are still frogs. OK. Red sails after all - meh. The pirate flag looks OK, but nothing tops the original IMO. The fort is as insubstantial as ever. Strange that the raft has a catapult.

In all, I like what weve seen.

Edited by Ardelon

Looks like a new bandanna piece? That's going to be divisive.

All in all I like most of these sets, despite not being a Pirates builder. The sole exception is the Soldier's Fort, which looks fairly flimsy—the Soldier's Outpost looks much better. I love the classic look of the figs (especially the updated Captain Redbeard), and the more diverse Bluecoats (with a more actively-involved female character, and higher-ranking officers with fancy wigs and the like). Hopefully this wave won't be the theme's last hurrah—I think these sets provide a solid foundation for the theme to expand on.

No pics of that Skull Island set we saw in prelims?

Thoughts:

I am very much liking the Dark Blue Bicorne, and that we are finally getting a Tricorne in Reddish Brown. I like the new Soldier's Fort more than I thought I would, but I still think the base of it looks awful, although the building itself actually looks nice. The ship looks a little less like the 2009 wave than I would prefer, but it could have been worse, I suppose. The Shipwreck pack is very nice, but the bandanna...

I am horrified that they decided to make a new bandanna mold. This isn't like with Castle 2013, where they could blame it on needing to use the CMF mold. There was absolutely no need for a new mold, there were no complaints about the old one, and if the mold needed replacing, than use the old style. The old one fit into almost any category you could need it for, this one doesn't even fit into the category it's meant for.

Edited by Lind Whisperer

Loving these! Many thanks J2J!

I too was surprised that the Blue Coats (French soldiers?) have white epaulettes, but I think it works very nicely!

All the minifigures are spot on! Especially loving the torso print on the pirates!

I do like the fact that they're using the large plastic flags again. I'm not sure how I feel about the minifigures. I definitely do not like the new bandana.

The minifigures do have a more classic look than the last wave, except for the dark blue. The dark blue seems out of place to me.

The soldier's fort looks cool, but way too small. It desperately needs a baseplate.

It's weird that the sails on this ship are basically the exact same as the last one.

I'm glad we're getting a new swordfish.

The palm trees wouldn't look as bad if they were in classic green.

I like the fact that there are so many soldiers in these sets. I think it's pretty common for us AFOLs to have more pirates than we know what to do with, and far too few soldiers. This will help me balance out my collection.

Really loving this theme, it's my favourite Lego non-liscenced theme. Might get it although I really don't have more room to spare...

The only negative thing about this wave is the lack of black tricorn hats for the bluecoats.

Edited by Cammo

Thanks mate!!Uh I wish we had close up on the figs and I mean clear pics not "pixeled".

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I really want to see a closeup of Redbeard's torso to see if there's any difference. It looks like his hook is a different color.

Finally the skull style is no more childish one. It is real creepy one...great.

Now hope to see the Captain's Cabin how does it look like.

Edited by VintageLegoEra

so we got the pics, awesome. definitely the figs and the parts are the stars of the sets. going back to classic looking figs is a move that i didn't expect Lego to make but i am glad that they made it. i am sure that lots of long time AFOLs will love the figs and i will enjoy collecting pirates figs for the first time! the builds still seem insubstantial but surprisingly i am liking the soldiers outpost. sadly there seems to be no evidence that it attaches to the soldiers fort, maybe i will just buy both and moc a small fort. anyway thanks just2good for the pics, i hope you find some missing set pics like skull island (is that what it is called?) and braniac attack soon. feel better. :pir-sweet:

I'll be short since I'm not used on saying my opinions on detailed "manner".

The sets overall look great no argument there,I like them.BUT....but(there is always a but)my problem is the new bandanas(don't like the look of them)but I'll judge when I'll see them up close,also I'm disappointed with the lack of new faceprints especially on the pirates figs,the guy with moustache is just looking ugly,hell the pirate from CM who looks like almost exactly like him is far better looking so I might switch heads.Overall I'm happy with the whole wave and I can't wait to see the skull island set pics!!!

Thanks for the pictures, just2good!

I must say, I'm really loving the figures and how they're basically modern versions of the good old classics from the first pirate lineup in the late 80's. Well done, LEGO!

I also like the new shark and I absolutely adore the retro map tile design. Some good accessories in general.

But... the set designs themselves are a bit lacking, and the ship especially is every bit as as dissapointing as the prelim pictures suggested.

And I must agree with the consensus: a new bandana mold is absurdly unnecessary. But are we absolutely sure it's a new mold...?

Oh, and those frogs? What's the deal with them? Weird.

Double oh: is it just me, or does the hook on the captain look different from the usual hooks...?

All in all though, I'll say that while not on par with 2009 Pirates, this theme is (thankfully) lengths better than Castle 2013. So in spite of some minor dissapointments (and one major: the flagship), I'm looking very much forward to this theme. pirate_satisfied.gif

And I must agree with the consensus: a new bandana mold is absurdly unnecessary. But are we absolutely sure it's a new mold...?

I was thinking it might be a mistake, when I saw the bandanna in the Soldiers' Fort. But, if you look at the raft set, it is far more clearly a new mold. Not only does this one come to a sudden half-circle halt in a manner that is strikingly similar to your average rip-off set(and not in a good way), but the lighting throws an entirely different shadow than the old one would. (The old one had a sort of piled-on dome shape on top, this one seems to have more of a seam running along the top.)

The architecture on the top of the small outpost looks so much better than the fort. I wonder why they didn't keep the design the same meh -_-

Edited by AlphaQuad

As someone newish to LEGO I think these are awesome. The ship reminds me of "The Goonies" for some reason. I think it's an awesome wave. I do wish the ship had more detail though. I wonder if it has sleeping cabin/quarters? Kitchen? Oh well, I'll still pick up one for me and one for my nephew. Thanks for the images Just2good.

Some thoughts as I've had time to think about these images:

• It's interesting to see the changes between the preliminary pictures and these final sets.
    I especially like the change of the lower portion of the raft in the Soldiers Outpost (70410) set.
  • I'm so happy to see the return of the soldiers in blue - with backpacks instead of just a printing on their backs.
    As I already stated in an earlier post: I really would have liked to see red epaulets for the soldiers instead of white.
  • Glad to see the return of the blue Imperial flags.
  • I love the way the Soldiers Fort (70412) and Soldiers Outpost (70410) can be connected together.
    It looks like the Shipwreck Defense (70409) will be able to connect to something in a similar way - perhaps with Treasure Island (70411).
  • I find it interesting that there is no shark in any of these sets considering we see a rat, a sawfish, fish, a crab, frogs, and an octopus... and will likely see a crocodile and parrot in Treasure Island (70411).

Having said that, I will definitely be getting each of these.

No pics of that Skull Island set we saw in prelims?

Perhaps Skull Island is an exclusive? Those are missing from at least some other themes' pics, too...

I'm not a huge pirate guy, but I have a soft spot for them (and regret not getting more of the POTC sets or either of the ships)... some nice-looking sets & figures in here, and some of the 'misses' some have mentioned (like no black tricorn hats, no red epaulets, etc) at least can easily be remedied by a quick BrickLink trip.

I was thinking it might be a mistake, when I saw the bandanna in the Soldiers' Fort. But, if you look at the raft set, it is far more clearly a new mold. Not only does this one come to a sudden half-circle halt in a manner that is strikingly similar to your average rip-off set(and not in a good way), but the lighting throws an entirely different shadow than the old one would. (The old one had a sort of piled-on dome shape on top, this one seems to have more of a seam running along the top.)

Yeah, you're right... it's definetely a new mold, and it doesn't look very good (at least in pictures). I'm both dissapointed and puzzled.

And the more I look at the fort, the more I'm beginning to think that the biggest dissapointment of the wave isn't the ship... the fort is, in spite of a really nice new flag and excellent minifigs, pretty terribly built. But the other sets are growing on me.

And I'm eager to see the inside of that ship, as the piece count really suggests something must be there...