just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

The left hand side of the build is cut off so I cannot see the entire build. In fact, I will withhold judgment until we get better pictures. Part of what I need in order to buy this is enough bricks that I can part out for something else.

But Smaug looks to be very big... even more so than the Castle 2013 dragon.

Haha immediately after first look ... didn't expect the "negative" that quick. Set looks good can't wait to see more pics tomorrow

Very small for 130 $/€ but it contains Smaug so this won't be a problem for TLG. I'm still unsure what I should think about the set.

Got HD pictures as well Just2Good? Smaug looks better than I expected. Too bad it's not as spikey as the one in the movie but I understand because it's essentially still a kid's toy. :tongue:

So far I am underwhelmed. Smaug looks decent, but the rest of it looks like a combination of Mines of Moria and Orc Forge. If it were not for Smaug, I feel I could build this right now.

Smaug looks amazing, no fire chin, love it might be my new fav lego thing currently the t rex, but the rest of the set looks very small with few figs, the castle dragon set was only £35 over here much better value

It says it includes Ori and Gloin, but I see Fili and Kili instead. Also, why are Balin and Dwalin's weapons trans colours? Seems strange. :hmpf_bad:

The set itself feel very lacklustre. They've simply tried fitting too much into too small a space. The throne is tiny, however the playability within the mine area actually looks pretty good. And its been a while since we've had a decent dwarf mine set, which is really cool. Also, it seems like the Arkenstone is just like the game version, which makes me glad.

Now to Smaug. :dangry: While it has many flaws, such as the seemingly short torso and unfortunate long spike in the direct centre of the forehead (unlike the movie), it has a beautiful wingspan, as well as having the most sophisticated wing connection for a dragon as of yet. Also, the position he's posed in seems to make him look squished. Perhaps by keeping the tail and neck as extended as possible, it wouldn't look as small. And lastly, the printing looks stellar, and its also nice to finally being dwarf variants. I just hope its their BOT5A armour and not their DOS gear.

Finally, the price. 130$ seems a little odd, yet appropriate. It seems that we're getting more 130$ sets as of late, which we haven't really seen much of before. Unfortunately, this price will be hiked up by about 10-20$ in Canada, so thats kind of a bummer.

Hopefully we see more of the rest of the wave soon, particularly the sets directly related to the battle.

I'm assuming that Smaug is supposed to carry the set? Otherwise it looks like crap frankly, two eh builds and minifigs we've already gotten (I don't really care for alternative prints most of the time)

this set needed mroe than 5 figures to justify the price.

it's good they have the bo5a printes tho.

Got HD pictures as well Just2Good?

Maybe... :grin:

It says it includes Ori and Gloin, but I see Fili and Kili instead.

It's odd, because they throw the name The Lair of Smaug and The Lonely Mountain around in the article, which I thought were two different sets.

Did anyone else notice how the official set name given at the top of the MTV article says The Lonely Mountain, yet later, when listing the functions and accessories, it says The Lair of Smaug? Thats a better name. It is way more accurate to what you actually get. The Lonely Mountain misleads one to think it has the doors and is more of a full set, rather than a cross-section look into the city. I wonder if the other set names will be misleading as such...

Holy smokes :wub: :wub: What a stunning set! Too bad it only contains 5 minifigs though (and none of them truly new) :sceptic: On the other hand, Smaug more than makes up for that :grin:

Holy smokes :wub: :wub: What a stunning set! Too bad it only contains 5 minifigs though (and none of them truly new) :sceptic: On the other hand, Smaug more than makes up for that :grin:

No, but at least they all look like they're variants opposed to the same prints from before. I'm very excited to get the blue coat Bilbo, though. :wub:

It's better than I was expecting. Certainly better than Mines of Moria. At least its a true three dimensional multi level playset with all sorts of things going on. Not simply a pack of figures standing in front of a grey/black/tan wall. It reminds me less of Orc Forge and more of the Fantasy Era Dwarf Mine. While I would prefer the main gates, this isn't that bad... Except the price.

I think that the other new figs from the other sets (Bard, Bolg, Armoured Thranduil, Witch-King, Galadriel are my guesses) should make up for the slightly boring selection found here. The fig to focus on here is Smaug, and he really does kinda steal the show.

Aren't we having 4 sets for this film, more to Lake Town, a connection to Dol Guldor, a Battle of Five Armies set and the the Lair of Smaug.

Well let's not forget that this set is based on a scene which only the dwarves and Bilbo are in,it's better than nothing and I'm glad they got new torsos,especially Bilbo.

I'm wondering why Thorin isn't in this set though... Hopefully that doesn't mean that he'll appear in the Bo5A set, there are other characters we need :grin:

I'm wondering why Thorin isn't in this set though... Hopefully that doesn't mean that he'll appear in the Bo5A set, there are other characters we need :grin:

It's excatly waht it means. along with azog again proapbly. booo

Huh, I'll need to see the whole set to make an opinion. So far ok, nothing to get too excited about.

So no Thorin? That's unexpected. I guess he'll be in the Bo5A set, but that means some other desirable fig may get bumped out.

Edit: more or less ninja'd by Lego-Freak while I was composing my thoughts.

Edited by Ardelon