ScottishDave

Bricklinked UCS Millennium Falcon - MODded heavily

David, now I finally understand how you achieved that result for the interior, excellent job; I decided to not add the interior so I only free up enought space for the engine mod: I integrated most of the back technic structure in to the landing gear box but I kept the rest as it is.

thanks for sharing all this, it's really helpfull, and the end result is nothing short of stunning:)

Your Falcon is incredible ScottishDave. I have stolen your much improved engine mod for my brick linked MF and have been working on my own version of the top rear panels and engine flaps so far. Its been an expensive project with lots of trial and error. The LXF files you posted have shown me the way, so thanks very much for those. I also attempted an homage to your mandible mod, but got very stuck with integrating the top and bottom surfaces into the original technic arms. Is there any chance that you're working on LXF files for the mandibles?

Many thanks for the nice words, chaps!

highaltitude, I'm very happy that you've found my modded hull plates useful.

I've been intending for a while to do more LXF files, but I never seem to find the time. However, since you ask nicely, I'll make a serious attempt to digitise this area soon.

In the meantime: if this helps, I built a new, stronger framework to prevent mandible sag (brought on by removing most of the framework around the cockpit).

IIRC, I attached the hull plates using L-shaped brackets.44728.jpg

I hope this helps!

Dave, that's very generous of you, thanks for the tips on the L shaped brackets, I'm sure I have some in a bag somewhere in a huge pile of other bags of lego parts. I'm not in any huge hurry for the LXF as this has already taken a year and counting. Kudos once again on your great work!

In the first post: I got bored and started reworking the engines on my UCS Millennium Falcon clone.

In this update: I got a bit carried away. I've now made changes to almost every part of the upper hull. I'm not finished yet: I still want to resize the turrets, and then I need to tackle the underside, the engine room and especially the framework (to fix a nasty case of mandible sag which the old girl has picked up) but I'm taking a breather for a few weeks.

I spent a lot of time examining detailed photos of the 32-inch Falcon studio model. I won't claim that my interpretation is is perfect, but it is a whole lot closer to the actual studio model than the original UCS was. I've managed to squeeze in most of the pipes and a lot of the greeblies.

I’m quite pleased with the way the hull plates worked out. For the rear engine deck I took a lot of inspiration from Mike Psiaki's incomplete Falcon. All the parts on the engine deck are just about where they ought to be. The 8x8 circular "vents" are too large, but I’ve yet to see an alternative that I like. Does anyone have any bright ideas? It needs to be 6 studs wide.

The circular access ports on the mandibles are in the correct position, and nearly the correct size. (They should be 5 studs wide. Again: can anyone suggest a better part?)

Here is another WIP picture for comparison. The 6-stud-wide access ports that Lego used (on the right) are far too big. Because they are so large, the edge of the main hull is pushed further back until it is oval, nor circular:

The greeblies on the sides of the mandibles are now accurately positioned and the wedge plates on the mandibles are the correct angle. I used the older 4x8 with notch wedge plates, which are perfect for the job. There is now also a lip over the greeblies running two thirds of the way along the mandibles.

I tried a few times to buy a UCS Falcon radar dish on ebay, but got frustrated with the silly prices. In the end I spent a few hours with a vector drawing package and came up with this. Click on the thumbnail to open full size on Brickshelf.

Alternate URL in case Brickshelf goes down again.

I suggest that you print it out onto clear sticky-backed vinyl, spray it with varnish or inkjet fixative, cut as close to the edge of the actual design as you dare and apply carefully. Cut out thin triangles between the individual radial elements for a better fit on the curved dish.

The inner square and outer circle are guidelines. If you cut them off as closely as possible, the sticker should fit perfectly over the central four studs and go almost to the outer notches on the 10x10 dish.

If you've sealed it with varnish, you can use the soapy water trick to get it into position.

More pictures are available in my flickr set.

As usual, all comments and suggestions are welcome.

On my ongoing MF Moc I reduced the size on the vent to 6 studs width by using 3873 around an 3649. And the access ports with to a more circular shape by adding 1x1 plate on the inside of the arch.

Some picture on my flickr

Edited by MKJoshA
Please don't quote pictures.

On my ongoing MF Moc I reduced the size on the vent to 6 studs width by using 3873 around an 3649. And the access ports with to a more circular shape by adding 1x1 plate on the inside of the arch.

Some picture on my flickr

Thank you very much for the link to your flickr album. This is exacly the kind of constructive criticism / feedback that I really like: I am delighted to see you taking my ideas and making them part of your own, improved MOC!

I am impressed with what you've done so far, and I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

A few random comments:

The exhaust ports look GOOD from above, and I like the diameter you've achieved on them. They seem a little tall at first glance, but they might grow on me...

May I please use your solution for the docking rings? It looks perfect. :cry_happy: . Are those 57518 in silver / Dark Bluish grey? (could be either, and either work as a colour).

I like the use of the silver hubcaps in the greeblies (told you this would be random, but those caught my eye) and I see that you've made some significant changes to the cutout greeblies. It looks more like the five-footer Falcon - is this deliberate?

Thank you very much for the link to your flickr album. This is exacly the kind of constructive criticism / feedback that I really like: I am delighted to see you taking my ideas and making them part of your own, improved MOC!

I am impressed with what you've done so far, and I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

A few random comments:

The exhaust ports look GOOD from above, and I like the diameter you've achieved on them. They seem a little tall at first glance, but they might grow on me...

May I please use your solution for the docking rings? It looks perfect. :cry_happy: . Are those 57518in silver / Dark Bluish grey? (could be either, and either work as a colour).

I like the use of the silver hubcaps in the greeblies (told you this would be random, but those caught my eye) and I see that you've made some significant changes to the cutout greeblies. It looks more like the five-footer Falcon - is this deliberate?

I have put some more file on my flickr account with some pictures of the docking ring. Also another version of it. Feel free to use the solution. I'v borrowed quite a few from you.

The 57518 is in Dark Bluish gray. If you go to build it, make sure to use used parts that have some slack into them to get the cone shape of the docking ring.

I'm thinking of lower the exhaust port into the hull to get a lower profile, but that will be a later matter.

I have used this pictures as a template for my moc. Star Wars - Halcón Milenario 3

I have put some more file on my flickr account with some pictures of the docking ring. Also another version of it. Feel free to use the solution. I'v borrowed quite a few from you.

Thank you very much!

I have used this pictures as a template for my moc. Star Wars - Halcón Milenario 3

Thanks - that's an excellent resource. I used that one as reference myself back when Toro was posting WIP pictures.

Is there any chance of a BrickLink list of parts for this beast? Id like to have all the fixs and trims you've applied to this, without having to order a full BrickLink ed 10179, and then figuring out what to replace.

Awesome build.

Hi Frostyfeet,

Thank you for the kind words.

I'd love to be able to say, "yes, here you go", but sadly, what I've put up on this thread is all there is of my documentation.

I have a full time job and a family , so my Lego time is rather limited. I hope to devote some time to documenting some more of this project over the Christmas holidays, but who knows whether that will happen...!

That's quite ok, family man my self, and with renovations i don't have A lot of lego time.

I'll BrickLink the while thing and then start modding as time allows ☺

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I started this project in 2010 with a Bricklinked UCS 10179-1 Falcon. I immediately started building a full interior, heavily inspired by Matt De Lanoy's Falcon (NOT a UCS MOC, but very nice).

Some shots, with the "roof down":

12036344776_2654de6819_n.jpg

12035797593_5b4aafdcdf_n.jpg

12035894724_c607ee9a01_n.jpg

Since I don’t know when to stop, I then replaced all the greeblies on the sides. Partly this was due to the eyeball-candy in mortesv’s thread

12038171856_cdf3d63a8c_n.jpg

12038174486_ef325b896e_n.jpg

I then made the spines of the docking tunnels higher, following the instructions posted in OceanBlue77’s thread

12038177666_320b636017_n.jpg

Most recently I posted on this thread about replacing the engines with something a little more accurate.

This week, the LEDs arrived. I haven’t fitted them all yet, but the engines LEDs are in place, and they look great:

12035537845_90d19acc9c_n.jpg

12035540195_bc6639b871_n.jpg

12035802193_4915bd3f84_n.jpg

This is a a strip of 18 cool white LEDs on a 30cm sticky-backed strip. I bought them from this ebay auction with battery, for about eight of your English pounds.

As you can see, I’ve stuck them in at about 10 studs from the engine “grilles". They look great when lit, both in full darkness and with the room lights on. The LEDs are pointing straight at the grilles and there are lots of them. Sorry to any purists reading that they aren’t Lego LEDs, but 18 power function LEDs and a battery box would have set me back about £150!

The rest of the LEDs are a LifeLites eLites Advanced 2 kit bought from www.BricksForKids.com in France. These LEDs are designed to be compatible with lego bricks, e.g. they are 3mm wide and the switch box sits on a 2 x 4 lego Technic plate. I plan to use them for floodlights, landing lights and interior lighting. I haven’t fitted them yet. I’ll post more pics when I do.

Since I now have a nice curve on the engines, I decided to take advantage of it to get the "Thrust Vector Baffles" sorted out:

12035904784_357b2c48ea_n.jpg

I borrowed the idea wholesale from Matt De Lanoy, once again (I really need to buy that man a beer sometime). The alternatives which I considered were this by OceanBlue77, or this by Brian Tobin.

In fact, note the old, OceanBlue77-inspired baffles on the underside. See how nasty the curve is? I shall be replacing them as soon as my Bricklink orders arrive...

Finally, to show off the new rear hull plating, I’d like to leave you with a shot which I fondly call “Working Out The Angles: The UCS Edition" (with apologies to Mike Psiaki):

12035822703_54dc373108_n.jpg

More pictures are available on my Flickr set. Comments, criticisms and - especially - ideas on how to improve this model are all very welcome.

EDIT 13th October 2015:

Here are some LXF files:

Engine Mod and Rear Hull

Upper Docking Tunnels (From OceanBlue77's mod): Port Starboard

Episode VII (The Force Awakens) Radar Dish (see seperate thread)

Upper Gun Turret (no major mods, just a re-skin)

Landing Gear(template, really need to finish this)

Added 17th Jan 2016:

Brick-built round dish (LXF) (XML)

Hi there, fantastic effort. I'm currently bricklinking the Falcon, and not only gulping at how much the rigging for the rear is, but actually think you're looks much better. So I downloaded the LXF file and looked through it. Can you tell me is it a straight forward swap out of the piece in the instruction manual (page 81, the first building bit of the lights), i.e. does it just replace like for like and connect up, or do i need to do anything else specific? The rest of the LXF file shows the amendments to the covers, do i need to do those as well or can i just do the engine mod with the lights?

Not overly familiar with LXF files, is there a section that tells me which parts i need to buy and quantity/colour? I'd like to do that instead of the original.

Also love the dish, again can't afford the actual dish but I like the Force Awakens one, so I'm going to go with that.

Thanks in advance for your help

This is amazing my favorite mod is the corridor a nice feature all the other Millennium Falcons are missing :laugh: .

Can you tell me is it a straight forward swap out of the piece in the instruction manual (page 81, the first building bit of the lights), i.e. does it just replace like for like and connect up, or do i need to do anything else specific? The rest of the LXF file shows the amendments to the covers, do i need to do those as well or can i just do the engine mod with the lights?

Hi Lissa1974.

Thank you for your interest. I do agree, the boat riggings are getting crazy expensive.

Another Eurobricks member, Daphatty, built a file which is pretty much what you are looking for.

I think his mod of my mod is really good, but I personally don't like the technic bricks at the ends of the trans-blue area, which I think ruin the look. So I've made a mod of his mod of my mod:

Lego Digital Designer file

Excel spreadsheet of parts

This replaces the sections on pages 81 through 85 of the original instructions.

From a structural point of view, you don't need to do the rest of the mods in the original file (the flaps and the hull) - it works fine with just the engine section replaced.

I hope this helps!

--David.

Hi Lissa1974.

Thank you for your interest. I do agree, the boat riggings are getting crazy expensive.

Another Eurobricks member, Daphatty, built a file which is pretty much what you are looking for.

I think his mod of my mod is really good, but I personally don't like the technic bricks at the ends of the trans-blue area, which I think ruin the look. So I've made a mod of his mod of my mod:

Lego Digital Designer file

Excel spreadsheet of parts

This replaces the sections on pages 81 through 85 of the original instructions.

From a structural point of view, you don't need to do the rest of the mods in the original file (the flaps and the hull) - it works fine with just the engine section replaced.

I hope this helps!

--David.

Hi there, ordered the parts today :) thanks for your help. I have no doubts I'll be back querying some part of the build but it looks a lot better than the original and allows the light install. On the original design the lights just wouldn't have gone through even if I'd have used trans bricks. I maybe back to finish the flaps and hull. I'm hoping to use the falcon as part of a coffee table, but it's a massive task!

Hey there, normally i'm not a gravedigger for old threads, but could you be so kind and upload the lxf file for the engine mod again? After years i finally ordered the parts i saved on bricklink but unfortunately didn't save the instruction...

:facepalm:

(You need to picture lightning crashing around a remote Scottish castle somewhere and Mad Scientist Dave bringing the corpse of this topic back to life, aided by gravedigger @BaronStoke).

IT LIIIVVVEEESSS!!!!

I've refreshed the links on the first post, as requested. They all should work now, any problems give me a shout.

The particular file you wanted: Engines - mod only

Since we're reviving this old topic now: I pulled the model out of storage earlier this year and took another crack  at it.

The engine mod is the same. Most of the bodywork has been changed.

Here are some 95% complete WIP shots:

Cv3IJLyh.jpg

ZtP6gvjh.jpg

And a beauty shot that didn't turn out too bad:

cnK4U9ah.jpg

I may post a final gallery here once I've found the time to finish the interior and got a better camera setup.

Acknowledgements: I have borrowed ideas from Chrome Vader (with his kind permission), The BrickVault Falcon (I bought the instructions...), the second UCS model (nice printed bits and the tops of the docking rings are OK) and various posts about the docking rings from the UCS mods thread here on Eurobricks.

Edited by ScottishDave