sin

Bricklinking Modular Buildings

Having now completed my GG project, I am planning my next build. I have seen CC in different colours from standard, It was tan and blue I think. Has anyone else attempted this with good results?

I am almost finished collecting pieces for CC.

I only deviated from the true parts with the 20 white panels I replaced with 1x2x3 windows.

Everything else is true to the Bricklink catalog.

The only lot I haven't gotten is the 4 lt.bl.gray turntable bases. ($15 each, $60 is steep for these little pieces)

I saw in this thread that they can be replaced with 2x2 jumpers (can get 4 of those from the trailer of the new Service Truck with the portapotty) except for one of them. (which looks like it could be replaced with just a 2x2 tile).

The pictures in this thread only show where 2 of these turntables are s'posed to go.

Can someone explain or show where the other 2 go?

And any cheaper successful replacement ideas?

Has anyone ever tried to build GG, replacing sand green with dark orange? I wonder how would it look like (I have Town Hall to rebuild ;) )

Edited by peter_m

I saw in this thread that they can be replaced with 2x2 jumpers (can get 4 of those from the trailer of the new Service Truck with the portapotty) except for one of them. (which looks like it could be replaced with just a 2x2 tile).

The pictures in this thread only show where 2 of these turntables are s'posed to go.

Let's see... there's two right above the door. The lower one looks like you can use a 2x2 offset; the upper one attaches to a 2x6 plate OFF one side (so only two studs attach to the turntable), which means a 2x2 offset wouldn't work. That section (built around the 2x6 plate) attaches at the sides, as well as in the middle with the turntable. So I think it's certainly possible to use a 2x2 tile instead, and just not attach it in the middle... it would look right, but again lose a little clutch power, which I don't think is an issue.

The other two are above the upper corner window... both look like they can safely be replaced with 2x2 offsets. The loss of clutch power for the little tower section above the window might be an issue if you play with it, but probably not too bad, and certainly not if it's for display.

I have almost finished Bricklinking the three modulars, I've already built two of the three (GG and MS), still waiting for a few pieces to arrive, purchasing the last remaining expensive pieces, my thumb to recover and wallet to stop crying before doing the CC.

General:

• - All parts are ordered as in New condition from BL or PaB
  • - Currency listed will be in CAD. Greetings from Toronto, Canada!
  • - Order of build, MS, GG, CC.

MS:

• - The doors are expensive, 70 bucks a piece. Still waiting for my wallet to recover.
  • - I am not a fan of the way the railings are done, plus, need 4 of those tubes, at $28+ a piece. I read these will eventually turn yellow. (FUUUU)
  • - Build was somewhat boring, the inside is empty. But alas, I will have it at last.
  • - The third floor's balcony placement annoys me somewhat, shouldn't it look over the other side? (ie, mirrored build)

GG:

• - Those sand green pieces, dropped over 500+ dollars on those little shits. (Thanks Chris!)
  • - Got type 2 for the doors, will purchase type 1 to make it authentic.
  • - Inside is sparse. Understandable.
  • - The build was a little painful, I had limited table (IKEA INGO) space, and since it was after market, no numbered bags. (Looking forward to the Tower Bridge, heard they have over 500 of those 1x1 cheese pieces)

CC:

• - Doors are expensive, 70-100 bucks a piece, need 2 (?)
  • - Ski slopes are expensive, 10 bucks a piece, need 11
  • - Windows are expensive, 20 bucks a piece, need 5
  • - The build will be interesting, it will be empty on the inside, but looking forward to the outside.

After thoughts:

• I am not sure how I feel about the first three modulars yet, I am happy that I have them now.
  • - Should I replace the windows and doors to more modern look and feel? OR should I keep the way they are for the sake that's how they were meant to be built, and it shows the progress from the LEGO designers
  • - Same question to the above, but about furnishing the insides of the first three modular with something. (I don't mind this too much, as it doesn't really modify the outside's look and feel)
    • -- On LEGO ideas, there was two ideas for the interiors of the CC and MS, might look at those

[*]- My spreadsheet and Bricklink's wanted list was a life saver. Everything came to a few pieces of everything. Only had one missing piece, might have sorted in the wrong bag.

[*]- Bricklink was really helpful, tried to order from Canada, then North America, finally everywhere, I had bricks from all over the world.

[*]- The different grey bricks, I may pull a OCD and reorder greys until they all look the same, I recall LEGO changed how the greys was produced.

[*]- Had one lemon seller, in the process of doing a PayPal charge back, maybe eventually a Visa charge back.

[*]- I may have not got all the pieces as cheap as I could have.

[*]- Lesson learned, next time, if I do ever bricklinking anything else, I am eyeing a few of the retired sets, use a dime bag and place everything in their own bags, will make finding pieces a LOT easier

What's next:

• - Wait for my wallet to recover. I don't want to think about this.
  • - I am thinking about lighting up the interiors of the LEGO with WS2810 (Neopixel) LED strips, and be controlled by a rPi somewhere.
  • - Looking at the iBrix wireless system, if they ever mass produce them, and is affordable, otherwise I will build my own.
  • - Looking at MOC instructions from others, and perhaps build them, there are a few that ticked my fancies.

Can not wait for the next official modular!

[Edit: looks like it doesn't support markdown, used editor's tools to do lists]

Edited by billli

Just replace doors for CC, imho.

I'm finished with mine too, replaced white ski slopes with birght orange ones, result; not bad.

Replaced front door with blue door, 1/20th price. Just waiting for someone to get rid of his original one.

Use 1x3x4 windows x2 instead of white 2x3x4 ones. Absolutely no difference from outside, you can use 2 pieces or 2x3 shutters instead of 3x4 shutter with these ones.

Replaced side door with black, absoluly fine.

I'd rather switch doors than replacing trademark red roof pieces. Roofs cost 1€/piece max, doors cost around 65-70€s each.

Rather wait sometime than throwing 150 euros off on 8-10 pieces.

Here's the result;

20035530746_2196fe1623_b.jpgCafe Corner

Edited by ancestral

It's always tough to say what modifications will be worthwhile. I think the white skis will remain the best. Those orange skis might look okay, but at the same time, they look pretty gawdy. Tough to say. And the regular blue door vs the earth blue trim, again who am I to judge, but it isn't my favorite substitution. I will agree that the dark red roof is the iconic look of CC. Those and the tower are the only things I truly like about that building.

When I built mine, I substituted things and rebuilt it to accommodate 6 high doors so it blends in with the rest of them. I have since torn my CC apart. I got bored by it.

The more power to anyone who pays those ungodly amounts for a few pieces of plastic. I don't care enough about having 100% original sets because I can think of all of the other LEGO I could buy for some of those prices. But now you have them.

agreed... recently bricklinked GG and CC myself.. couldn't pull the trigger on the original parts esp the door for CC and went for a much cheaper blue/grey instead... this is lego after all... let your imagination fly!

I'm waiting on one more order, the two blue archs, that's it. I've been building up the stash of pieces to make this CC for months.

Only substitutions I made were the 20 white window pieces and the 4 grey turntables.

I did spring for the doors, I like the doors.

I like the white skis, and the roof.

Lego prices are just stupid anyways, so these pieces are more stupid, oh well. I've wasted more money on dumber stuff several times.

I can't wait to put this bad boy together and add it to my display.

Here is my very 1st MOD based on the 10182 - Cafe Corner.

Most parts are new, and bought through bricklink, brickowl and LEGO Pick-a-Brick

1 or 2 parts need to be replaced for a correct color and need some fences for the roof.

Also looking to do an interior. But instead of a hotel, I find the place too small for a hotel, I'm thinking of a super heroes hiding place.

Sorry for the bad quality pictures, was finished yesterday evening and don't have the proper light for photography. I will try to make some better ones later today

IMG_4880.jpg

IMG_4881.jpg

IMG_4882.jpg

Oh one suggestion to anybody wanting to bricklink the modulars.

Sometimes the pieces are cheaper @ LEGO Pick-a-Brick than bricklink and brickowl, and you are saving some VIP points

Also a small search with brickowl will show you some alternatives, with the only difference a hollow stud or closed stud this can save a lot of money.

Edited by Dennan

Nice, like the tan/light grey color scheme!

Not a fan of the use of two 1x2x3 windows on the top floor, though, would replace those with a 1x4x3 with shutters. I originally employed a similar substitution for the windows on the top floor of my Blue Grocer, but quickly changed to the shuttered 1x4x3s there.

So far:

19932968698_477b92c701_c.jpg

Market Street v1.0 by Fred Haab, on Flickr

Excuse the photo (I know, far too many people say this); when I'm done with all the changes, I will retake pictures using my good camera and good lighting.

Notable changes so far, from top to bottom:

• The stepped tiles on the roof, the color pattern is symmetrical instead of asymmetrical. It was driving me crazy.
  • All the railings are built in a similar fashion using the "robot" or "skeleton" arms. This includes the patio area railings, which I thought looked terrible, and not just because they didn't match the other railings.
  • The railings are all black, giving it a more uniform look of wrought iron railings.
  • The three windows with rounded tops are topped by medium blue arches instead of gray in order to match the color.
  • The two upper doors visible in the picture both open the same way. I'd ordered one of each, but the seller informed me he mis-listed one of them. I figured that, if I was an architect, I'd put them both the same way anyway and just got both of what that seller had. Lazy? I don't know - I thought about it for a while and couldn't figure out why it mattered, and after some thought actually figured that it would be odd for someone to actually build a building like that where the same doors on different levels opened on different sides.
  • Both the flower pot and lamp post are at sidewalk level instead of buried in the sidewalk. I may bury the lamp post again - it's inconsistent across the modular line; Parisian Restaurant has it at sidewalk level. The other modulars I've built (which is not all of them, but includes GG, CC, and PC) have it buried. In any event, I will make them all consistent.

Planned changes:

• I think I'm going to change the knobs on the gate to black. Tan just looks silly for black, wrought iron gate handles.
  • I think I will replace the tan floor division between the top and next-to-top sections with dbg, to make it consistent between all floors.
  • Far too many "bricks with grills." I get it's trying to show some weathering, and I like that technique, but I think it's way overused here, and I will replace some of them with matching color bricks, and to keep the effect, will replace the others with profile bricks (which didn't exist when this set was made, otherwise I'm sure they have used them instead).
  • I am going to mirror image the top level so that the stepped roof is still facing forwards while, at the same time, the balcony is not right up against the wall of an adjacent modular building. At least the balcony will have a 16 stud gap between it and the next building, even if over that "garage" area. I get that since both sections are modular, that I could put the "garage" on the right side, but I think the overall look is better with it on the left.
  • I will replace the tan blocks in back with actual windows.

There's a lot I don't like about this building - I didn't buy it before because I just thought it was plain ugly. I didn't realize at the time that modular buildings would be "thing" instead of a one (or two) off, and ended up regretting not getting it so that I could have them all (although technically this one is a "factory" set, and not a "real" modular). After building it, though, there are a lot of things I like about it, too, and think it has some potential with MODs. There's some inconsistent coloring, but being a little eclectic isn't always bad. I really get a New Orleans vibe from this building (although I know it looks more like something from Amsterdam, given the stepped roof); I think it's the colors and the decorative section on top of the garage. I like that it's got a basement (even if fake and unusable), and I like the style of the roof and rooftop balcony - although not a fan of mixing in white and regular old blue for the canopies.

Prices? I really don't know... I'm not going to add up all the BL orders because a lot of them had things other than for this. I also didn't care about new vs. used - in some cases it just wasn't practical to get new pieces. I got some from S@H because it made sense to, in the quantities that I needed. But really, I had well more than half of what I needed in my parts collection anyway, so it's impossible for me to say what I paid, but I probably spent about $200 total over the past few weeks - keeping in mind that included a lot of extra stuff and parts I ended up not using.

The more power to anyone who pays those ungodly amounts for a few pieces of plastic. I don't care enough about having 100% original sets because I can think of all of the other LEGO I could buy for some of those prices. But now you have them.

I feel the same way. There are other current sets on my want list. However it is really a good feeling to know you finally have it.

My Green Grocer is lacking the regular blue arches on the awning and that is the only part I am not happy about as I feel it is the iconic part to the set. (I am determined to acquire them) Otherwise I only had to substitute two other parts - 1x8 Sand Green bricks and the Train windows which doesn't affect the look or the building process.

Right now I am trying to start the process of ordering Market Street and Medieval Market Village 10193. Usually we all see sets we like but for other reasons wasn't a Lego priority at the time and later regret not getting it. To buy the set may be cheaper but after the shipping and custom duties it is better to build it from scratch. Also much more fun! :laugh:

I'm with Fred67 on this. Market Street can be adjusted without sacrificing the authenticity of the set. There are better parts to use than when this first came out. I did not understand why the designer (fan) used tan bricks instead of windows on the back. The doors and hoses are outrageous for prices. I will mod my Market Street to reflect current parts. I am a purist but I have a limit, like TheLegoDr stated, why spend so much money on a specific part when you could be buying a new set? I realised looking at Fred67's image of MS one could use 72mm hose instead of the old hoses. Not sure how it would look but offers an alternative.

Edited by Wodanis

Just a note - some of the really expensive things on BL, like those window pieces (new), are as cheap as can be on bricks and pieces at S@H; a lot of the stuff in bulk is simply not the outrageous prices you'd pay on BL and, of course, if you buy enough, shipping is free. Shipping takes longer, but you know you're getting the right pieces, brand new.

The window pieces that S@H sells and is found in new sets are not exactly the same part that was in Cafe Corner. There was a redesign that made thick edges (for stability) and that's why the original one is so expensive.

Finally added an interior to the 2nd floor of my Bricklinked Cafe Corner:

19964732149_7ce4afe29c_z.jpgIMG_9866 by Lego Conductor, on Flickr

19963401780_8a1cf2fdc0_z.jpgIMG_9864 by Lego Conductor, on Flickr

20151402085_5f7115178a_z.jpgIMG_9862 by Lego Conductor, on Flickr

Now with some mini figures:

19963400790_a3601f3980_z.jpgIMG_9868 by Lego Conductor, on Flickr

20151401695_79051cac32_z.jpgIMG_9871 by Lego Conductor, on Flickr

Just a coincidence that I got the Big Bang Theory set today!

20156979071_ee237de7d1_z.jpgIMG_9860 by Lego Conductor, on Flickr

hello, I am concerned with the market street and the corner cafe to work with loose parts

I bought me a couple of boxes creator (seahouse, scoot and bike shop)

a few boxes of friends and a few boxes of classic boxes

I am also in the pab walls go searching to find pieces

and then went through my new pieces in my own pab wall

so far I am quite satisfied with the result, I'll come some parts shortage but I am patiently looking forward

I hope that the result you like

20186979439_2506868c5a_k.jpgwip 2015 by geert vanderbeke, on Flickr

ps ( i used google translate)

Nice result, degrizn. You've captured the essence of the MS modular. Only thing that seems obvious would be to replace the bright red arches.

That's definitely a great start. The red arches are disconcerting - they really don't fit, but I'm not sure the you need dark blue, either. Tan ones would probably fit just as well..

I'm putting a few finishing touches on mine (had to order more pieces). I made all the changes I said I would except I need two more windows. The headlight brick is now available in medium blue (it wasn't when this set was made). They are not cheap (relatively speaking), but I got four to replace the bricks holding the small awning-like sections over the windows on the second section. I'm wondering if I should get four more to replace the tan ones to the sides (holding the T pneumatic pieces and the flag).

I also think now that it's kind of busy in front - two flags with nothing on them (and why two different color poles? This set really makes no sense in a lot of ways), and a croissant, for some reason. Is it supposed to be a bakery? It looks kind of silly. I could either put more pastries in the windows, or just remove that croissant altogether. Not sure. I have bread and cookie and cupcake pieces, but I don't think they will be easy to see through the windows. If it's really a bakery, though, I don't think I'd have those kinds of windows anyway. I may replace them with clear, use two of them for the remaining two windows on the back, and fill it in with a proper bakery that you can actually see when looking at the set. I can do all of that... or just remove the croissant.

I will take updated pictures today, anyway.... I think it's coming along nicely.

I am planning to piece together the Green Grocer. To save money, I will replace all the sand green bricks with the brick yellow variants. I was just wondering if anyone has done the same color substitution before.

I modified the Green Grocer LXF created by Man with a hat to get an idea of how it would look. What do you guys think?

tan_grocer.jpg

tan_grocer2.jpg

tan_grocer3.jpg

Edited by muffluvin

I think I'm done....

From the front: as stated before, I replaced white railings with black to make it more like wrought iron (and updated the first floor railing there, too); replaced the doorknobs on the gate with black, removed the upper flag pole because: 1) it didn't even match the color of the other flag pole, 2) I like the symmetry better without it, and 3) it had nothing on it - are they surrendering? The upper floor uses medium blue arches for the windows, which I'm guessing didn't exist when the set was made. The stepping on the roof is now symmetrical in colors, too.

20471231536_0d8410be3f.jpg

DSCF2381 by Fred Haab, on Flickr

From the left: I mirror imaged the top floor so that the balcony wouldn't be right up against the wall of the modular it was next to. the set was designed square so that you could easily rotate the floors to your liking, but the front is obviously the front, IMO, so my only option was to mirror it.

You see from this angle I also changed the floor in-betweens to make them all DBG instead of different colors on each level. You can also see the modified railing here, on the balcony, and I replaced the pieces in the "garage" with black fence pieces because I didn't like the way the original looked, and figured all the railings should be black. You can also see from this angle I replaced the tan headlight bricks that hold the pseudo-awning on that second story with medium blue. I'm guessing the didn't exist in medium blue back then. I was debating replacing the other tan ones with medium blue, too, but I think the tan accent there is not so bad.

20503770231_90b5f8eedf.jpg

DSCF2382 by Fred Haab, on Flickr

From the back - I got two more windows, but need two more. The tan "blocks" are just... really... uh... awful. You can also see I severely reduced the number of gray "grill" bricks (which I thought they used way too many to show weathering) with profile bricks and, while I was at it, did the chimney, too.

20503769501_bcd9669e7d.jpg

DSCF2384 by Fred Haab, on Flickr

Except for two more windows, I think I'm done making changes.

What do you guys think?

I think it looks really good... it's hard to tell, but that's a darker yellow? More like a tan?

I think it looks good, it's just not the "green" grocer anymore. :classic:

Edited by fred67

I think it looks really good... it's hard to tell, but that's a darker yellow? More like a tan?

I think it looks good, it's just not the "green" grocer anymore. :classic:

Thanks for the input.

Brick Yellow was on the description, I really think it's tan as well. I got an abundance of these colored bricks by parting out the Tower Bridge and the Palace Cinema and from PAB Wall. Plus the 1x2 Brick with Grove is available in that color from Lego S@H.

To be honest, I am not too excited on using this substitution but I really want to have a grocer for our modular town. I think I just need to figure a nice color (instead of black) to break the structure's tan monotony.

Edited by muffluvin