sin

Bricklinking Modular Buildings

I recently Bricklinked the GG and I found it a lot easier to build off the parts of the Haunted house, although they have since sold out. It replaces a lot of the sand green pieces that you don't see as well as some of those grooved 1 x 2 bricks that can get expensive.

I have just completed buying all the parts for GG. It took 11 BL vendors (4 from my country) and one visit to the PAB locally. I am replacing the sand green bricks with red and the dark green parts with green. It is not the best colour combo but will do currently. Already, it costs me USD 530 including shipping and minifigs parts. I am located in singapore and hence shipping costs from USA and EU will cost me a bit.

Just started a CC today. I know the dark red slopes and the blue arch are the pricier pieces from the set. Any other ones I should look out for?

Just started a CC today. I know the dark red slopes and the blue arch are the pricier pieces from the set. Any other ones I should look out for?

The cheapest option to get these is to watch BnP for availability. Use the pet shop to get to the roof parts, and the winter village to get the blue arch. Also very pricey is the 2x10 brown brick. I substituted that by a 2x4 and a 2x6

The blue arches shouldn't be so expensive any longer, as they are in a Christmas set, I think?

But the light bluish grey door is very expensive. You could swap that with the version that is hinged to the opposition side... I can't remember which side though ;)

Plus, the white panels for the glass-less windows are insanely expensive too. Swap those with the new version panels with side support

Project GG is going well. I have about 1800 parts now. Swapped out the sand green 1x8's for 1x4's. The grooved 1x2 have been my most expensive purchase. I managed to source about 700 parts from my own collection of spares. I am collecting some new baseplates from the town this morning, they seem to be hard to get hold of at the moment. Anyway, once in my possession I am going to start building. I can't wait any longer!

The blue arches shouldn't be so expensive any longer, as they are in a Christmas set, I think?

But the light bluish grey door is very expensive. You could swap that with the version that is hinged to the opposition side... I can't remember which side though ;)

Plus, the white panels for the glass-less windows are insanely expensive too. Swap those with the new version panels with side support

I found both versions of the door to be very expensive when I bricklinked my CC last autumn. Even the old gray ones cost more than I'm willing to pay for an element, Since I made a some customisations anyway (e.g. using modern windows, eliminating the need for a two wide front facade, or adding an interior on the ground floor), I just swapped the doors for two black ones I had in my collection.

Got the blue arches at an ok rate from Lego BnP.

Priciest lots for me were the dark red slopes and the minifig skis. Still kinda pissed at the fact that the slopes cost twice as much in dark red than in ANY other color at BnP. Seems deliberate to me.

Passed on the minifigs.

Edited by RogerSmith

Pretty much the only things holding me back from building my CC are the dark red slopes and those skis. I could do without the skis but the building needs a roof, so I guess I'll be waiting for a bit. How often does Lego get these back in stock? I've never seen them come up when I've checked the site.

there are 2 types of skis and dark red roofs, when you verify the piece on the catalog and choose the color, in the bottom of the page will show you similar pieces of the one of you're looking for.

i found the skis and dark red slopes more cheaper in thar option

Be careful with the skis. There is an old (out of production?) style, and a newer style. Trust me, you don't want the newer ski for the decorative thing on the cafe corner.

The old ski is the one that looks like it has a binding on it (a hinge point on top). The arch design that you make with the skis not only looks better with the old part, it is much much easier to get it to look proper since that hinge portion helps to evenly space the skis along the tube as you bend it.

I used modern 4x6 doors, and choose a grey doorframe instead of the grey door. Looks pretty good. That doorframe is new since last year.

And yes the old ski is out of production. They don't use the finger hinges anymore, likely due to fragility.

I used black 4x6 frames, but good idea on the using the new light bley frame that came out last year. I kept the look consistent in color otherwise.

Is anyone planning on using the new sand green masonry bricks for a GG instead of changing colors? The price on Bricklink is reasonable. If they are, I'd love to see some pics!

Also, if someone has a parts list of the CC in Excel, could they share it with me? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by ItsaBRICKS

I decided to wait with a green grocer until that 1x2 brick with groove is rereleased In sandgreen.

If not, then I'll do without a green grocer.

Is anyone planning on using the new sand green masonry bricks for a GG instead of changing colors? The price on Bricklink is reasonable. If they are, I'd love to see some pics!

Also, if someone has a parts list of the CC in Excel, could they share it with me? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My own person taste, and this is purely based on what I like, would say that the groove in the sand green brick is more important than the color of the brick. Texture over color. So, if I were to brick link it, I'd go with blue since the grooved blue brick is apparently more cost effective.

Edited by Off the wall

My own person taste, and this is purely based on what I like, would say that the groove in the sand green brick is more important than the color of the brick. Texture over color. So, if I were to brick link it, I'd go with blue since the grooved blue brick is apparently more cost effective.

I agree. The brick is now available in tan, from one of the minecraft sets I think so I'm considering building it in that colour, I'll probably refit it as a different business though, perhaps a butcher.

I agree. The brick is now available in tan, from one of the minecraft sets I think so I'm considering building it in that colour, I'll probably refit it as a different business though, perhaps a butcher.

Great idea. Earth tones are great basic colors as they give you so many options with trim colors.

Ah, I see that point.

I am nearing the end of my GG Bricklinking journey and I have to say, I don't know if I have enjoyed it or not. I am about 30 parts short of completion now and its going to mean a few tiny BL orders. I think I've kept it under £350 inc shipping.

You don't know if you've enjoyed it or not?

The thrill of the chase? Looking for deals on parts? Especially rarer parts??

Seeing this pile grow and grow until you have everything to put together this modern classic?

I like the hunt, but due to funds, I don't do it too often. I have been wanting to piece together a lot of older sets I didn't have as a kid. We'll see what happens there.

The thrill of the chase? Looking for deals on parts? Especially rarer parts??

I like the hunt...

Yea, that's an integral part of the process for me as well. Sometimes, I purposely make things more difficult by dreaming up uses for parts I know will be difficult to find and purchase.

My current tantalus is the Cypress Tree (BL: 3778), for a Haunted House mod I'm working on. Finding 3 of them for a reasonable cost is going to be chore/ rush... And just when I do, it'll be re-released in a set and drop down to pennies for what I payed for them. Small scale stock-brokering, small-scale building, etc... LEGO allows me to be a Rockefeller or a J.P. Morgan without getting the actual world too involved in the roller-coaster of my whimsy.

Edited by notaromantic

I am nearing the end of my GG Bricklinking journey and I have to say, I don't know if I have enjoyed it or not. I am about 30 parts short of completion now and its going to mean a few tiny BL orders. I think I've kept it under £350 inc shipping.

You will think differently once you build it and stand in awe of your achievement. It can be frustrating at times to secure the parts but the end process for me made it worth it. I enjoyed it. I've been thinking about building 8404 transit set in the future.