me00rjb

Number of Posts in Technic Forum

It seems the Technic forum is getting busier and busier. Today's posts alone cover a page and a half. I don't get the time to check in as often as I would like, and the rate at which topics disappear off the 1st page means I often miss something of interest to me.

Is it possible some sub-forums could be created? I'm thinking along the lines of 'MOCS', 'WIP', 'Instructions', 'Chat', 'Parts', 'Set Reviews', etc. etc. This would reduce the turn-over of posts per category, and also enable people to filter out posts that are of less interest to them.

Not sure if this is the right place for this discussion, I'm sure someone will be able to move it to a more appropriate place if necessary.

Richard.

Edited by me00rjb

What you are suggesting has been discussed from time to time, but it is usually considered that the additional fragmentation of the community will have more negative effects than positive. Now that we have a conscientious regulator (Jim), you should start to see more thread consolidation and organization that should help reduce the topic count. We're also trying to encourage people NOT to start new topics for things like "What set should I buy?", but rather roll these into a larger single topic.

There's a subforum for MOCs at the pirate section, it works there (although new members often post in the wrong place), it is the only (visible) subforum under pirates however, I think if there would be more subforums it would become complex and have more negative effects indeed.

Edited by Sebeus I

If half of the posts that were not constructive were to be removed I believe searching and viewing would be more enjoyable. People seriously need to learn to use the search function. This site holds so much information, I feel to many people are lazy to find it.

I think that if the Technic forum was split off in to more sub sections it would make keeping track of topics much harder, I much prefer having a page or more of topics to check then having to check a number of sub sections.

I don't have an issue with the number of new posts and topics, much better then having a forum which is almost dead which is the case with some other forums and websites I am a member of.

What you are suggesting has been discussed from time to time, but it is usually considered that the additional fragmentation of the community will have more negative effects than positive. Now that we have a conscientious regulator (Jim), you should start to see more thread consolidation and organization that should help reduce the topic count. We're also trying to encourage people NOT to start new topics for things like "What set should I buy?", but rather roll these into a larger single topic.

I second this.

Although I do appreciate the input and obviously I want to consider the suggestions, but there are other ways to reduce the clutter, besides creating subforums.

For starters; have general conversations in the Technic General Discussion topic.

I think that if the Technic forum was split off in to more sub sections it would make keeping track of topics much harder, I much prefer having a page or more of topics to check then having to check a number of sub sections.

I don't have an issue with the number of new posts and topics, much better then having a forum which is almost dead which is the case with some other forums and websites I am a member of.

I tend to agree with your first statement, and definitely with your second one :sweet::thumbup:

And let's not forget; creating more subforums needs way more regulating :tongue:

Since I joined the forum I've searched it extensively and it really is a mine of information. As I think Jim pointed out in another thread, the best way to search the forum is to go to google, type in what you are searching for and then add this at the end "site:www.eurobricks.com".

What's the score on reviving old threads? Sometimes I have gone through and found an interesting post from 6 months - a year ago, but not been sure whether to comment or not? Surely this is better than starting a new topic on the same thing and jamming the board up.

Since I joined the forum I've searched it extensively and it really is a mine of information. As I think Jim pointed out in another thread, the best way to search the forum is to go to google, type in what you are searching for and then add this at the end "site:www.eurobricks.com".

Using Google yields better results than the search here on EB, which, quite frankly, is horrible.

What's the score on reviving old threads? Sometimes I have gone through and found an interesting post from 6 months - a year ago, but not been sure whether to comment or not? Surely this is better than starting a new topic on the same thing and jamming the board up.

Reviving an old topic is not a problem if your comment adds information or new insights to the conversation.

Reviving an old topic with the line "Wow, cool!" is not appreciated. Asking for building instructions in a year old topic is not appreciated as well. You can always send a PM for a request like that.

Another task for me is expanding the Index, with MOCs, Building Instructions, Building Guides/Techniques etc.

Using Google yields better results than the search here on EB, which, quite frankly, is horrible.

A little OT: That is not only a problem with the forum software here on EB, but likely on every forum. Google is a huuuuuuuuge company which has a lot of knowledge regarding search engines, search algorithms, they have the hardware and software architecture to support all this and so on. They are not No.1 because they provide crappy search results. And such specific knowledge is missing in companies who provide such a forum software. On the other hand, such forum software has a myriad of functions and possibilities to customize and so on. That is their main feature, which the producer of the forum software has built up a lot of knowledge and specified in. Let's call it a niche. There they placed themselves and are successful with it.

Exactly what problem are we trying to solve? Is there a problem at all? I think a busy forum is a healthy forum.

Also, what keeps forums alive is the discussion, not the archive. You can bash people who don't search, but is a duplicate topic a problem? We enjoy discussing, right? So the more discussion, the better, I'd say.

I think the forum is fine as it is, there's no need for change.

You can bash people who don't search, but is a duplicate topic a problem? We enjoy discussing, right? So the more discussion, the better, I'd say.

An interesting point.

Edited by Gee

If half of the posts that were not constructive were to be removed I believe searching and viewing would be more enjoyable.

And what are the guidelines to define not constructive? Removing threads that you don't like, like how to make the best use of black parts in MOCs?

I am more in favor of tolerance than censure.

My two cents... I prefer to scan one forum than many more specialized ones. As for number of topics, I vastly prefer lots of small topics with well chosen titles than collect-all threads (eg. "Mindstorms general discussions").

I think if the topic have good titels its easier for me to just scan the whole forum rather than having to click a thousand times just to see all the topic in the Technic forum

My two cents... I prefer to scan one forum than many more specialized ones. As for number of topics, I vastly prefer lots of small topics with well chosen titles than collect-all threads (eg. "Mindstorms general discussions").

I somewhat agree; my only concern is that people ask questions like "where can I find building instructions?" in a new topic. The answer consists of a link and that's it. Those questions can easily be posted in a generic topic (imho).

I think if the topic have good titels its easier for me to just scan the whole forum rather than having to click a thousand times just to see all the topic in the Technic forum

True! That's why I change a lot of titles to make them more readable or to make the content more clear.

I think there should be a balance between using a general discussion topic and creating new topics.

I think there should be a balance between using a general discussion topic and creating new topics.

Yes it is just that sometimes in general threads the questions overlap -in time, not theme- and answers get mixed and topic becomes hard to follow, and suddenly it becomes a mess until those topics fall into oblivion and a new question is posted. When that happens a subforum looks like a better tool for the matter.

Yes it is just that sometimes in general threads the questions overlap -in time, not theme- and answers get mixed and topic becomes hard to follow, and suddenly it becomes a mess until those topics fall into oblivion and a new question is posted.

True!

When that happens a subforum looks like a better tool for the matter.

You probably mean a separate topic.

You probably mean a separate topic.

I mean that a "General Technic" -or whatever- subforum where topics are not mixed/consolidated.but are naturally grouped by beign in a subforum, looks like a better tool to avoid that specific scenario.

My humble opinion would be to add subforums only for very special subjects that can be strictly moderated, i.e.

• a forum for lego 3d drawing and creating instructions
  • a forum for nxt programming
  • maybe a review subforum (because it makes reviews easy to find)

Other than that I believe a forum needs to have posts running off the first page to feel alive.

General topics such as the "Lego Technic General one", and "Which set should i buy?" could get a sticky to keep them up top.

I mean that a "General Technic" -or whatever- subforum where topics are not mixed/consolidated.but are naturally grouped by beign in a subforum, looks like a better tool to avoid that specific scenario.

Ahh okay.

Reading this topic I think the consencus is not to have subforums in Technic.

I will keep doing my best to make the Topic Titles clear and understandable.

I believe a subforum for reviews and one for Mocs would be very nice.

Reviews are what most people are looking for, at least for non-members. While Mocs/Mods would benefit being in their own too.

That'll leaves the rest in the main Technic forum, like questions, tips and so on.

That's my opinion :)

I believe a subforum for reviews and one for Mocs would be very nice.

Agreed!

But that won't be a subforum. That will be dedicated section in the Technic Index!

I am starting with the Reviews very soon!

I am not a fan of consolidated topics like "Technic general discussion".

To be honest, me neither.

It isn't aimed towards anything, so there isn't really a reason to look there. Threads like those are often very messy because of all the different topics running through each other.

If I have a specific question, I ask it by creating a thread whose title shows what my question is about.

If I have a general question, I'd do the same. Why hide a question between other questions? It only makes it harder to find for those who know the answers.