Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

Morholt Keep - Dark Isle Saga Chapter 2, Part 1

Dark Isle Saga

Chapter 2: Dinas Emrys

Part 1.

As Taryn and his companions made their way to the safety of Artorious and his men, they were set upon by an enemy war band. A bloody battle then proceeded to take place in the hallowed grounds of St. Gwydre's Church. The battle was a desperate one and could have meant the end for Taryn, had Artorious' men not frightened the enemy off.

A victory then? No, it did not feel like one, instead it just seemed to leave more questions unanswered.

Who was that mysterious dark knight?

What do the Enemy plan to do with the scroll?

What had happened to Sarlina?

After the battle, Owain and Ella went with Artorious to his camp which was only just over a mile away from the church. Taryn had chosen to follow on behind, as he wanted to scour the area for any clue of what happened to Sarlina. If she had been slain, why would the enemy choose to take away her body? They would have just taken the scroll and been done with her. Then again, had Sarlina not often spoken of breaking away from Owain and Ella to use the scroll's powers herself? Maybe she had done just that and slipped away amidst the chaos of the battle.

Taryn found no trace of Sarlina and so made his way to Artorious' camp, where he rested and tried to ease his troubled mind. In those few days, he did not see Owain or Ella who were busy discussing plans with Artorious and his Lords. This left Taryn feeling alone and surrounded by people he did not know but he knew his companions had pressing matters to discuss. After all, he was just a village boy who happened to get caught up in a much bigger picture, what use could he be in the times to come?

Little did he know, the next day he would be off on an important mission, one that could turn the tides of events. It seems that Artorious has plans for him after all. So it was that Taryn found himself on the road again, heading for Dinas Emrys.

Dinas Emrys was a sacred place, situated in a valley amongst steep rocky hills and lush woodland. There were quite a few settlements and fortifications littered throughout the area but it was mostly known for its ancient Druid Groves that could still be found in the deepest parts of the valley.

It was a beautiful morning as the suns rays penetrated the low mist which crawled down the hillsides, giving the land an ethereal appearance.

"You're very quiet this morning Taryn." Ella smiled at him.

"Just worried, that's all." He replied looking down as he spoke. "I just hope she is still alive."

Ella put an arm around his shoulders for comfort.

"I'm sure she is." She soothed. "She's a strong girl that one, with a will of iron."

Taryn thought about that for a second then a look of panic crossed his face.

"But the scroll!" Exclaimed Taryn. "If the enemy knows she has it they will be searching everywhere for her and she will surely be killed!" Taryn said worryingly.

Ella looked away.

"The scroll..." She paused, then went on. "It is safe." She looked back at Taryn.

"Safe?" quizzed Taryn. "What do you mean?"

Ella sighed.

"Before the battle at St. Gywdre's Owain managed to secretly take the scroll from her. He had no choice you understand, if the enemy had got their hands on it who know's what would have happened." Explained Ella.

Taryn walked on quietly for a while then turned to Ella.

"Sarlina didn't trust you, she planned to leave and use the scroll's powers herself." Taryn said sullenly. "She wanted me to come with her but I didn't believe that what she wanted to do was right."

Ella nodded, she understood what Taryn was saying.

"She wants to use the scroll's powers to bring back the old God's." Said Ella "In doing so, she would also end the lives of anyone without pure Avalonian blood."

Taryn bowed his head and nodded.

"That's her dream and why I didn't agree with her, it felt wrong and I could not bring myself to be a part of that dream." replied Taryn. "I failed her." He said quietly.

Ella smiled.

"No Taryn, you made the right choice." She said firmly.

They walked on throughout the day, the journey was long and tiresome but they managed to find shelter in an abandoned barn where they slept the night. They didn't have to walk far the following morning until they came upon the first signs of life in Dinas Emrys.

"Ahh, Morholt Keep." Smiled Ella. "It's been a long while since I was last here!"

Taryn gazed wide eyed up at the tall stone structure towering before him.

"So this is our destination?" He asked in wonderment.

"No." Laughed Ella. "But it may prove a good place to find some information we need."

She took Taryn's hand and together they walked towards the old Keep.

Morholt Keep:

Morholt takes it's name from an ancient Druid who once roamed the area long ago. Legend says the Keep itself is built on the site of the Druid's grave and that his powers are entwined with the stone and wood of the Keep, giving it strength. It is home to Lord Cadoc, whose family have lived there for generations.

10278165666_10ef678d74_z.jpg10277784755_89a0b32bc0_z.jpg

10297971496_3a151fbcee_z.jpg10277714025_e46ca6d4e9_z.jpg

Ella led Taryn up towards the guard tower where a grim faced soldier stood watch. As they approached, the soldier turned toward them with a frown on his face.

"What's your business here?" asked the soldier bluntly.

Ella stepped forward.

"My business is with Lord Cadoc." She said dryly. "I wish to speak with him."

The soldier frowned again and scratched his chin.

"Many people come here wanting to speak with him but my Lord is a busy man!" He snapped.

Ella laughed stared into the soldiers eyes.

"I think he'll find time to speak to me!" She said confidently.

The soldier looked Ella and Taryn up and down then sneered.

"Who are you?" He asked.

Ella smilled.

"My name is Ariella, sister of Lord Owain and cousin of Artorious Rex."

A look of recognition crossed the soldiers face and for a minute he seemed unsure what to do until in the end he beckoned them to follow him.

"Come with me, this way!" He spoke and led them over towards the main gate.

10277532516_a3d7d72387.jpg10277536163_78b06a670b.jpg

10277583765_dbd6a4e6ce_z.jpg

"Wait here!" Said the soldier and walked across the bridge into the Keep.

Taryn smilled and looked at Ella

"You have a bit of a name for yourself it seems." He laughed.

"Ella gave him a dig in the chest for reproof.

"Only good things Taryn, only good things." She blushed then laughed.

10277384366_f19f75c122_z.jpg

Just then the doors opened and a tall dark headed man appeared.

"Princess Ariella!" The man boomed and smiled.

"Princess???" Taryn thought, then watched as the man came down to greet them.

10277308465_a858020cdb_z.jpg

"Lord Cadoc." Beamed Ella then embraced him. "You're looking well." She smiled.

"You think so?" Cadoc laughed. "I feel old and rusty. But you, my have you grown into a fine young lady."

"Thank you my Lord" Ella blushed, then looked towards Taryn. "And this is my companion Taryn, he has been of great help to me these past weeks."

Cadoc looked at Taryn and nodded politely.

"Glad to meet you Taryn and thank you for aiding young Ella here." He smiled then turned to the both of them. "So, what can I help you with? I have some rooms if you wish to rest?" He asked cheerfully.

"I'm afraid we are in a hurry my Lord, as you well know, dark forces are plotting our downfall as we speak." Replied Ella sternly.

"So it seems." Cadoc replied gloomily. "I fear it will not be long before they spread into Dinas Emrys." He shuddered at that thought then looked back at Ella. "So what is it you want?" Asked Cadoc.

Ella looked at Taryn, then back to Cadoc.

"We're looking for Myrddin." She spoke softly.

A look of shock crossed Cadoc's face and a look of confusion crossed Taryn's!

"Myrddin?" Gasped Cadoc. "You mean Merlin Emrys?" Cadoc shook his head and half smiled. "The last of the great Druids, ah yes I remember that childhood story. For all we know he's just a myth!"

Ella stood defiant.

"Myth or not, either way I shall continue searching for him, so if you have any slight piece of information, just anything that may help us I would be most grateful." She insisted.

Cadoc shook his head.

"I fear you are chasing dreams young Ella but alas I know you too well to know you won't be swayed." He looked over to the cottage at the bottom of the Keep. "Over there." Cadoc pointed. "The woodsman who lives there knows more about this area than anyone, if your Merlin is real, then he's the man you must talk to."

Ella nodded and smiled her thanks.

"Keep well my Lord, we shall need you and your men in the coming struggle."

"They will be at your service Princess." He beamed a smile then embraced her once more.

10277433473_9774ba71ac_z.jpg

Ella and Taryn made their way over towards the woodsman's cottage.

"Merlin?" asked Taryn confused.

"Yes, Merlin. Although he has many different names, Dinas Emrys is named after him you know." She replied.

"So why do we need him?" Asked Taryn.

"Legend says he was descended from the last of the great Druids, the most powerful and that he has knowledge beyond any man's wildest dreams." She turned to look at Taryn. "If we are to fight back against the Dark forces then we will need his help, as only a Druid can destroy the scroll."

Taryn frowned.

"Then we better find this Merlin and fast, come on!" He shouted and went to race on ahead to the cottage.

Ella grabbed his hand and pulled him back, then laughed kindly.

"My dear Taryn...Thank you." She smiled and kissed him lightly on the lips. Taryn blushed and awkwardly looked around.

"What was that for?" He stammered.

"We are on a quest that may get us killed, chasing a man that might not even exist and yet you follow me without question." Replied Ella. "I'm truly grateful of your company Taryn." She smiled warmly.

And so they walked down to the woodsman's cottage.

10277281125_aeb8e062e2_z.jpg

They arrived to find the woodsman stood outside the cottage, looking out towards the forest.

"Your not from around here?" Smirked the woodsman as the two of them drew near. "I can always tell." He grinned.

"You would be correct." Ella replied warmly. "We have come from Grim Hollow in search of information."

"Aye, and what information be that?" Asked the woodsman.

"We are looking for Myrddin, Merlin Emrys. Cadoc said you may know something that could help us."

The woodsman smiled and nodded.

"Aye there are many legends around these parts, he still walks the sacred groves in the valley, or so they say." He chuckled to himself then gave a more serious look. "I can't take you to him myself but I do know where you could start looking."

Ella's eyes lit up.

"Yes, anything, that would be a great help." She enthused.

"Ok then" Said the woodsman. "I happen to be heading out that way now, so if you'd care to tag along I will show you where to go." He smiled.

10277076944_76b7ec98d9_z.jpg

Ella nodded and so the three of them set out deep into Dinas Emrys in search of a myth.

10277303793_73bdfae0d4_z.jpg

Note: I really didn't want to bring Merlin into this tale but I figured I could have some fun with the character, plus I really want to build a proper wizards tower/hideout, so he's in. However I'm going to use the original welsh version of the name 'Myrddin Wilt' which means 'Merlin the wild', who was actually a historical real person, a bard, whom the legends were probably based on. This way I can get away with having him in this story without being too unoriginal :wink:

Again, Mr. Watkins, you blow my mind. So massive, yet so incredibly detailed, and your color scheme's are just wow! :cry_happy::laugh: Fantastic work once again, what really stood out to me was the shield on the flag atop the tower, that is such a fantastic little detail, and incredible idea! Well done once again! I am glad to be in Avalonia! :D

Ah ha, this is who Derlins up against?

great moc mate, keep up the stellar work

Well this is just incredible, I could probably write a novel about every amazing aspect that I love in your MOC. The colors are especially awesome.

Astounding work, DC! Another great story and the use of the olive green, dark red, and burnt orange really jump out at you. Your castle wall technique keeps getting better and better! :sweet:

great story, great build, great photos,have I mentioned this great?

*oh2* Simply outstanding work DC and the story is great too :thumbup: :thumbup:

Excellent as always, the stonework is incredible and the dark red works amazingly well on the ground!

Amazing build :drool: Some of my favorite sections/details: the round tower incorporated into the keep, roofs on the tudor sections, the dark bley outlines on the battlements, rockwork, the dark red leaves climbing the keep, and beautiful fall colors :thumbup: The only thing I think that could be cooler: change the bridge so that one end of it is a draw bridge, pretty much just add chains to one section of it.

Looking forward to the next part of Chapter 2 :classic:

I love that stonework technique! Sometimes it seems to blur the edges a bit when I view your MOCs, but on this scale it works magnificent!

The color palette is of course very nice as well :classic:

Your builds are simply astonishing. Well done. Best detail for me - first chain links used as keyholes(brilliant)

I love this landscape. It reminds me a lot of The Fields of Misery from Diablo3. The trees especially, are great. The rockwork reminds me of early 21 century Legonardo. The keep it self is its own marvel but I think you played it too safe with the shape. The different roof types work great. The Monster Fighters roof really works. I've been trying to find a use for the Harry Potter ones forever. I think a few pumkins would have really been cool. I'm guessing your saving that for another moc. All the little details are great as are the figures. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks all for your kind comments. This moc was kind of a chore as it was used originally for a show with a different colorscheme. Once the show was finished I had already grown bored of the moc, so it was quite hard to find the will to rebuild it in a new colorscheme. I guess I have played it safe, I've stuck to the grid which goes for most of the Dark Isle mocs. However, every one of the Dark Isle builds are original designs, no cheap Warhammer rip-offs like I used to do lol!

Hehe, ive found everyone of your warhammer rip off a while ago, I confess that even ive done one, after i did it I found out it was one that youve done aswell, glad no one noticed :tongue:

8675806405_9efd214c10_z.jpgJW8yK.jpg

Yeah, I noticed you'd done them too but lets be honest though, they just look so perfect to build in Lego! There's nothing wrong with building Warhammer stuff but in the end people used to say "it's good, but not your design blah blah" so I guess I kind of moved away from them. They do look cool though!

agreed, thats the only one not my design though, b'sides my classic set redux and various remixs of MOCs ive done and plan to do :wink:

warhammer is way awesome still

Holy guacamole, the amount of detail on the main building is superb.

Fantastic job, the colors are just flawless. :classic:

Beautiful build DC, love the round corner tower with the jutting out window boxes, and the way the cottage nestles up against the side of the keep - it gives it a real feel of the structure enduring and being added to over the ages. The stunted trees are great too and the foliage colour works very well. :thumbup: I like the bridge too, but it looks like such a temporary structure against the solidity of the main keep..?

Your stonework really is amazing - quite dizzying to the eyes, looking at it massed together like this! :wub:

Absolutley stunning! I love your style and colour scheme! This is so DC! That gallow design is just perfect! Have to use that some day! Great work my friend!