Sign in to follow this  
NiceMarmot

Nocturnus Tribes: Blents

The Nocturnus Black Ent, aka Blent, is a rare derivative of the common Ent. Once widespread, they are currently found mostly in Nocturnian forests, although a small tribe lives deep in the coastal forests of northeast Kaliphlin. The Blent is rarely seen, although it is extremely difficult to tell a sleeping Blent from a common Nocturnian evil tree, and Blents can sleep for years.

10176999606_c43fc43b1e_c.jpg

Nocturnus Black Ent (Blent), by nice.marmot, on Flickr

Blents have sparse foliage, and supplement photosynthesis with animals that they catch as they wander through the forest. They spend their lives (which can be thousands of years) tending to their patches of evil Nocturnian forest, which are shepherded to provide a supply of food in the form of forest animals. Thus woe to the ignorant Nocturnian who unknowingly cuts down trees in a forest with a Blent. Very few have survived an encounter with a hungry Blent bent on revenge.

With amazingly strong limbs, extremely thick, tough bark, and an ironwood like interior, very little can harm a Blent, except a serious, large forest fire. For this reason, fire dragons are the Blents' worst enemy, and they have been known to gang up and hunt down dragons that move into their area. In general though, they tend to stay out of the affairs of other species, caring only about the health of their forest.

Blents have an ancient culture, mostly made up of long, florid, epic poetry, which can take decades to recite. Although capable of modern speech, they usually communicate in their own tongue, which mostly consists of slow, deep subsonic rumblings that can propagate through the earth for miles.

That Blent looks pretty amazing,I wouldn't want to run into one of them in a dark forest. I love branch/arm technique. The only con is that it seems a bit skinny to be a thousand year old tree, other than that it looks wonderful.

The only con is that it seems a bit skinny to be a thousand year old tree, other than that it looks wonderful.

This is Mardufeth, a mere youngster at 350 years old. Additionally, he's a bit thin because he lives deep in the southern Rakath Mtns, where the soil is poor and there are few plump Avalonian merchants to feast on. At least I think he's a he. Differentiating gender in Blents is quite difficult...

Great idea! Have "normal" Ents figured anything in GoH before?

Woa whole new approach to the inhabitants of Nocturnus, I knew terrain was bad for the armies trying to invade, but this is too much. :devil:

Nice focus for the entry.

Great concept and the Blent looks pretty intimidating :thumbup: I like the SNOT slopes you used at the bottom of his trunk, they give an excellent tree shape :classic:

Great idea, I love Ents, and dark ones would truly be a force to be reckoned with - and this is quite spooky with all those scraggly limbs going every which way. I'm not a huge fan of the digital background though - I think it detracts a bit too much from the build itself - maybe a solid colour, or simpler gradient...

Pitty your not nocturnian, you migta won yourself a mirkwood spiders set

This is great, one day i might feature a few of these blokes if your ok with it :classic:

I'm not a huge fan of the digital background though - I think it detracts a bit too much from the build itself - maybe a solid colour, or simpler gradient...

It is fantastic, but as Emma said the floor it's on is mildly distracting...

Yes, I'm never sure what to do about a background on the photos. I bounce back and forth between simple photos, and doing fancier backgrounds and borders. Can't seem to decide which to do.

Pitty your not nocturnian, you migta won yourself a mirkwood spiders set

This is great, one day i might feature a few of these blokes if your ok with it :classic:

Absolutely, have fun! I'm thinking of using him in a more expansive build myself. Perhaps showing some hapless Avalonian merchant getting snarfed...

Congrats on your 2000th post, by the way!

Edited by NiceMarmot