Tkavan01

LEGO Mindstorms and Robotics General Discussion

S2013LasVegas posted this YouTube video of "Lego's third-generation Mindstorms kit [that] has been redesigned to appeal to both kids desperate to craft and modders looking for even more customizability. With assembly instructions now provided by a 3D animated diagram on an iPad app, this isn't the Lego you'll have remember from childhood. If you'd like to see what it's like in action, head on past the break to watch the video.

"The company has worked towards building devices that have "personality" and the demonstration model that we played with certainly had that in spades. We waved our hands in front of a hissing snake and watched with amusement as it wiggled and snapped at our fingers. It made the 12-year-old in all of us giggle with a level of enthusiasm we shouldn't have displayed in public. Suffice to say, we can't wait to spend more time with this device when it launches around August, when it'll set us back around $350. via engadget."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXQaTwaPjOA

... TechCrunch posted this

-- "Lego unveiled the updated LEGO Mindstorms EV3 that now runs of Linux firmware thats compatible with both Android or iOS. The platform allows for much more programming on the core Intelligent Brick and is therefore more hackable. It even includes an SD card for storage. There is a built-in infrared sensor that facilitates a more autonomous design. Lego posits that EV3 can follow other moving gadgets and their creators. It also comoes with its own 3D construction guide."

Edited by DLuders

Ok. I am so excited, my wallets not really, but hey, who cares. I'll state what I know. First of all, there will be HUGE improvements. I'll leave that part to others. What I think is really important is finding out if educational or home use version will be better. So, for educational: We know it includes EV3 P-Brick, 2 touch sensors, 1 gyro, 1 color, 1 ultrasonic, Rechargeable battery with charger, 2 regular style motors, 1 medium motor, and then a bunch of technic parts, including a lot of black panels, 8070 wheels (I think), sprockets and treads, and of course plenty of beams and pins. What they left out were these: IR seeker and IR beacon. No big deal, right? Then there's the awful news... The software is not included, but rather will cost you another $100!!! Now, for the "home use version". We don't know a whole lot about it. We do know it has the IR seeker and beacon, same motor and P-brick situation. We can only hope it includes the software and maintains the essential (IMO) rechargeable battery pack... For the standard version, it's mostly mere speculation.

Edited by Porty

This is great and is a long time coming but I was hoping for a smaller intelligent brick so that it was more compatible with trains. Oh well some day we will get fully autonomous capability for trains without the big ugly nxt parts showing. Overall this will be a great robotics kit and I will eventually get it.

The Box

P1011379.jpg

3D building on iPad

Lego%2520Mindstorms%25203D%2520Building%2520Guide%2520on%2520iPad.jpg

Now, for the "home use version". We don't know a whole lot about it. We do know it has the IR seeker and beacon, same motor and P-brick situation. We can only hope it includes the software and maintains the essential (IMO) rechargeable battery pack... For the standard version, it's mostly mere speculation.

The retail version will not contain the rechargeable battery pack. However it will include the software.

1 Touch sensor

1 IR Seeker

1 IR Beacon

1 Color Sensor

Edited by Gekke Ted

So it seems there is an official "Lego Mindstorms App", which is great!!

I just hope 2014 isnt a good year for things ill want. Cos after i get all i want this year ill be broke ... :sweet:

The Box

P1011379.jpg

The retail version will not contain the rechargeable battery pack. However it will include the software.

Phew! Good thing it includes the software. Otherwise it'd be very expensive, more so than it already is.

Anyway, that box looks nice. It's been a long time since I've seen a set that looks just as impressive on the box as it does built. One thing I don't understand is why Ev3storm has a touch brick and a color-detector on it's shoulder. Using them "just because the set includes the part" seems a little ridiculous.

Edited by DraikNova

Phew! Good thing it includes the software. Otherwise it'd be very expensive, more so than it already is.

I must admit that the software being included is an assumption, based on the fact it was included with the current version. However, this could be wrong since you can program this unit on the brick itself.

Hmmmmm....let's try to find out.

Build your robot and program it via the intuitive software program, the programmable brick or your smart device

I guess this means it does!

Edited by Gekke Ted

I must admit that the software being included is an assumption, based on the fact it was included with the current version. However, this could be wrong since you can program this unit on the brick itself.

Hmmmmm....let's try to find out.

Build your robot and program it via the intuitive software program, the programmable brick or your smart device

I guess this means it does!

No, not really. Here's you real proof (I made this in MS paint).mindstormsev3softwareproof.jpg

No, not really. Here's you real proof (I made this in MS paint).

Paint rules :wink:

I missed that one. Well spotted :thumbup:

I Hope the screen is better, the current NXT is quite hard to read in lots of light conditions

I Hope the screen is better, the current NXT is quite hard to read in lots of light conditions

If I am not mistaken (saw this in one of the videos), the screen is backlit. The resolution is much better.

99x63 vs 178x128

I am not so sure. Clearly the new daisy-chaining trick will not work as the old bricks lack a USB host controller But the old tricks using BT or RS485 should still be possible.

Having done many multi-NXT projects I am VERY excited about the new feature, but I am still hopeful that the old ones can be integrated.

Hi all,

some not so good news on compatibility: Check here: http://educationnews...nload-media/214 (That is the link to the FAQ in the press media kit. http://educationnews...n-EV3-Press-Kit )

But you can use the parts (motors, sensors and the like) - even the new programming SW on the old brick (with the disclaimer: However, not all of the software features are supported by the NXT P-brick).

And then again

(And I guess this is also true vice versa, as there will also be a rechargeable battery for the EV3 P-brick.)

It seems that there will also be a new part in the education version of EV3: some kind of metal custer ball

I really wonder what the prices of the education sets will be in Germany ... but for 329USD I would get me a education set straight away. (Still that would need to add 98USD for the Programming SW ... thus need to get a retail version as well :-)

Cheers, Enno.

I read from several sources that the daisy-chaining feature is incompatible with the NXT. But, since both have Bluetooth, maybe wireless chaining, like we could already do between NXT's, can be done instead?

I read from several sources that the daisy-chaining feature is incompatible with the NXT. But, since both have Bluetooth, maybe wireless chaining, like we could already do between NXT's, can be done instead?

Connecting wireless will still be possible with the NXT.

Daisy chaining will, of course, be much more responsive. And maybe open some other possibilites, like shared memory etc.

Some interesting models there. I like the dog one especially. Also, the Mindstorms site has a report on the new set summing up most of the interesting facts.

Edited by DraikNova

I've got a theory for there being an uneven number of motor ports and motors: Maybe the fourth is a dedicated data port for daisy-chaining the bricks together so you don't need a special connection cable.

I don't think so. The EV3 has a small USB port near the motor ports, probably a client port for connecting to a computer, just like the NXT, and another one at the side, probably a host port for the WiFi dongle. An EV3's host port could connect to the next one's client port.

[edit] Also, the different number of ports and motors in a set isn't new: the first Control Centre and the three RIS versions had three ports and came with two motors.

Edited by AVCampos

I just noticed something: in the EV3 Education Core Set parts listing, there's the female Unimog/Rock Crawler pendular suspension thingy but not the male part (the one with the C-shaped liftarm attached to it)! Or am I missing something?

http://cache.lego.co...oduct sheet.pdf

Edited by Scorpion

@ Scorpion: You should read Conchas' extensive TechnicBRICKS article about the EV3 , where he wrote: "You may have read above, that the Eduction Kit comes with a Ball Wheel or (Caster Ball). Guess it might be the 92911 Technic Steering Ball Joint Large Receptacle with a stainless steel sphere inside as seen in the image below". clapping.gif fixe.gif

TBs_20130108_1_46.jpg92911.jpg

I've got a theory for there being an uneven number of motor ports and motors: Maybe the fourth is a dedicated data port for daisy-chaining the bricks together so you don't need a special connection cable.

Daisy chaining is done via the small USB connector.

Edit: Like AVCampos mentioned, to the host USB of the other brick.

Edited by Gekke Ted

TBs_20130108_1_46.jpg

That's a nice caster. Way smaller than the Rotacasters, although they offer drive train support.