Lance

Ninjago: Masters Of Spinjitsu TV Show Thread

Just watched the HD episode... It was alright, but a bit too unevenly paced in my opinion. I thought the episode would start off with the Sensei vs Nadakhan fight as detailed in one of the activity books in great length (including Sensei's wishes and how they got turned against him) but that sadly was left up to the imagination. I did, however, like Ronin's new character portrayal. Really brings out the bounty hunter aspect, which was great, and he singlehandedly took out all the ninja, which was very impressive if not a bit too brisk. I would have preferred his pursuit to last at least two episodes, but I understand there's a lot left for the series to cover. Also, the way Nadakhan tricked Misako was pretty great. More Nadakhan makes every episode better. I can't wait to see where the whole "Nadakhan's dead love" thing is going (and knowing Ninjago, she ain't dead) and look forward to more. I'm also excited to see the other realms. Is the next episode tomorrow?

Edited by legozebra

Loved this episode far more than the first.

-Seeing Ronin's new bounty-hunter characterization is a great change, if somewhat out of place after last season. At this point I think that drawing out this particular plot point over more than one episode would have been a better choice, but I'll wait until we see the full repercussions and if it continues when they inevitably break out of Kryptarium. As it stands, I enjoyed it a lot. I've started to hate the ninja themselves with how awkward their presence is (or how terrible their dialogue is), so seeing every single one of them taken out by Ronin was especially nice.

-Nya's motorbike is cool. Its status as yet another one-episode wonder, is not.

-The new intro is the best one we've had since the original, IMO. It's not as... stupid as Rebooted's, strangely designed like ToE's (though that's second best), and the theme song is much better than Possession's.

-Nadakhan is developing as a character, though I feel like that's more due to his crazy powers than anything else. I'm still curious as to what his end-game is, but he's actually got a goal and a motive which is enough for now.

-Throwbacks. Yay. As much as I'm glad to see that Hiroshi's Labyrinth and the Monastery have returned, I didn't enjoy how useless they were. The Realm Crystal bunker could have been on Chen's island and nothing would have changed, I was very disappointed in the portrayal of the Nindroids that were seemingly eaten by the Devourer, and the lack of a reference to the Golden Armour (yes, no one said it would be there, but it would have fit the theme). The absurd aesthetic references to Toy Story 2 were brilliant, though. As for the Monastery... it was sort of just there. Could have used the Samurai Cave, but it was nice to see the Monastery again... even if it was burned to a crisp.

-Police felt a little underdeveloped. Like the Monastery, they sort of just float around and are ultimately pointless. Keeping it to Ronin (and the Commissioner) would have made for a more personal connection to the events such as Misako's interrogation.

I think that's it. It was a solid episode in spite of its flaws, and the first episode I've truly enjoyed for quite a while. I'm probably not going to get around to posting my thoughts on Episode 1, so I'll just say that while I didn't like the episode I'm glad they've hinted that Nadakhan isn't just "mwahahahaha evil", even if it went nowhere.

Am I the only one wondering how Nadakhan never figured out how simple a loophole he had to wish whatever he wanted? All he needed was someone else to wish for him, and even if it had to be someone not allied with him (thereby preventing his crew from doing this for him), he could simply have tried to spread rumors about a proper protocol for dealing with genies, making the the polite thing to do when confronted with a genie to use one of your wishes to help the genie. I mean, he seems to be practically immortal, so it wouldn't be too difficult for him to set up, what with having all the time in the world and with the reward of access to his own infinite power. Even so, all he needs to do right now to get everyone what they want is promise the ninja that he'll stop the police hunt and return Wu from the teapot in exchange for them wishing for him to have his crew back. Also, why in the world did Zane not at least leave some form of air gap between his wifi and his main systems when he rebuilt himself? Without some form of physical interface to prevent remote access, he could be defeated by any spam that passes his firewall and similar systems. And Nya and Kai end up falling for the umpteenth obvious trap. Seriously, considering how often one of them gets captured, I'd expect at least one of them to come up with the idea to set up traps that activate in case of being tied up or knocked unconscious. And what's the point of setting up a complex mechanical protection system without at least adding some form of authentication? And Jay doesn't even bother trying to electrocute Ronin during the rollercoaster ride, instead trying to talk someone he should know from experience won't budge into letting them go (which at least makes sense considering Jay is...Jay). Seriously, why is everyone in Ninjago (except Ronin, apparently) so ridiculously incompetent?

And why does Cole not even try to just phase into the ground rather than turn invisible? We know he can turn incorporeal, at least to move through walls. And considering how Jay's hand moved right through him, how did a pair of electric bolas even touch him? We know from the Possession season that ghosts aren't affected by electricity.

Am I the only one wondering how Nadakhan never figured out how simple a loophole he had to wish whatever he wanted? All he needed was someone else to wish for him, and even if it had to be someone not allied with him (thereby preventing his crew from doing this for him), he could simply have tried to spread rumors about a proper protocol for dealing with genies, making the the polite thing to do when confronted with a genie to use one of your wishes to help the genie. I mean, he seems to be practically immortal, so it wouldn't be too difficult for him to set up, what with having all the time in the world and with the reward of access to his own infinite power. Even so, all he needs to do right now to get everyone what they want is promise the ninja that he'll stop the police hunt and return Wu from the teapot in exchange for them wishing for him to have his crew back. Also, why in the world did Zane not at least leave some form of air gap between his wifi and his main systems when he rebuilt himself? Without some form of physical interface to prevent remote access, he could be defeated by any spam that passes his firewall and similar systems. And Nya and Kai end up falling for the umpteenth obvious trap. Seriously, considering how often one of them gets captured, I'd expect at least one of them to come up with the idea to set up traps that activate in case of being tied up or knocked unconscious. And what's the point of setting up a complex mechanical protection system without at least adding some form of authentication? And Jay doesn't even bother trying to electrocute Ronin during the rollercoaster ride, instead trying to talk someone he should know from experience won't budge into letting them go (which at least makes sense considering Jay is...Jay). Seriously, why is everyone in Ninjago (except Ronin, apparently) so ridiculously incompetent?

And why does Cole not even try to just phase into the ground rather than turn invisible? We know he can turn incorporeal, at least to move through walls. And considering how Jay's hand moved right through him, how did a pair of electric bolas even touch him? We know from the Possession season that ghosts aren't affected by electricity.

Actually, ghosts can be affected by lightning. In episode 54, Jay electric shocked Wrayth.

I noticed that too, maybe Jamanakai Village developed...

They actually made a misstep with that; the village they went to is the hometown of Cole's father and was accidentally called Jamanakai.

A side note: when fighting Nadakhan, I wonder if wishing Nadakhan to return to the Teapot of Tyrhan will actually work...

Edited by legozebra

I really, really, really love Bounty Hunter Ronin. He's competent enough to get the job done, he doesn't get beaten up by the Ninjas, and he succeeds in getting a hefty payday, with a clean slate and the city cheering for him no less! I'm tired of antagonists being purely evil villains-I really like having a guy with flawed morality who makes a living catching people.

Heck, I almost got a Hydraxon vibe, though that's likely coincidental. But two Ninjago episodes in a row that I absolutely love isn't very common anymore.

As for 57...I've been thinking about who the major returning character will be. My guess is that the answer is likely someone who's shown in Kryptarium Prison in Season 4, which narrows down the list of candidates.

Watched the episode, I really liked it! What if..

Jay wishes for an eyepatch and Nadakhan actually makes him lose his eye?

As for the episode, the new intro is amazing. Whenever I see 'WU' though, I crack up, I have no idea why. :laugh:

And, why is that village in the city now? I liked it on the mountain.

I like Nadakhan so far, he's really cool! White Nindroids are cool too.

I'm liking how the summer sets seem to fit into what we're seeing so far, 70591 Kryptarium Escape will be based off of the next episode for sure.

Edited by CM4Sci

What Toy Story 2 references?

The design of the Realm Crystal bunker was heavily reminiscent of Zurg's Fortress from Toy Story 2.

Uh did Jamanakai Village suddenly move to the city? Cause last I recall it was on a mountainside.

I would assume that's the fault of the animators, the village they visited was a visually updated version of the one Lou lived in. Can't believe I didn't notice this in the episode.

Oh, I'm still watching the episode, but what if..

Jay wishes for an eyepatch and Nadakhan actually makes him lose his eye?

And, why is that village in the city now? I liked it on the mountain.

I like Nadakhan so far, he's really cool! White Nindroids are cool too.

They actually made a misstep with that; the village they went to is the hometown of Cole's father and was accidentally called Jamanakai.

A side note: when fighting Nadakhan, I wonder if wishing Nadakhan to return to the Teapot of Tyrhan will actually work...

I'll refer you to my original post about the matter... :)

Anyway, been thinking about Ronin's character... As much as I like the ruthless, heartless bounty hunter vibe he has going on right now, he pretty much started off last season as that and underwent character development to make him care for others and his friends... and now at the start of the season, he's back to being a cold bounty hunter only in it for the money... seems like the Hagenman Bros are now just using him as an -insert bounty hunter here- character like Boba Fett with no real, legitimate motivations except money. I miss the old Ronin...

White Nindroids are all I've ever wanted. Now they are reality (show wise)!

I'm loving how Ronin is showing that he's far more capable than how he appeared in Possession.

I feel that Clouse's appearance was kind of a shoe-in. I mean, sure, they needed someone to put the plot in place, but it just seems like they picked a name out of a hat. The fact that we really have no reason for why he was searching for the Teapot of Tyrhan, or whether he was intending to find it in the first place, doesn't help much either.

I also appreciate the backstory given for The Crew of Misfortune's Keep, and how they tied in the former Crew of Destiny's Bounty, and the Stone Army for that matter.

I hope that they go into Nadakhan's relationship issue as well (not to mention that I want a minifigure of his "casual attire." Maybe this year's Target Cube minifig?)

I am loving this new season, it is so great to see more of Ronin. Can't wait for Episode 57!

Edited by Ordinareo

Arguing with fangirls over whether or not Ronin is now "evil" is...exhausting.

Think about it this way: are the Ninjago City Police Officers evil? Of course not! They get paid to catch the Ninjas who are, as far as anyone else knows, criminals! They also used to be friends with the Ninjas, and no one seems to be complaining about them. :tongue:

Here Ronin is shown as a competent antagonist who does his job effectively and sets the stage for the exposition episode where the Ninjas learn more about Nadahkan, and kids are too upset that Ronin went after the Ninjas for cash. :sceptic:

Arguing with fangirls over whether or not Ronin is now "evil" is...exhausting.

Think about it this way: are the Ninjago City Police Officers evil? Of course not! They get paid to catch the Ninjas who are, as far as anyone else knows, criminals! They also used to be friends with the Ninjas, and no one seems to be complaining about them. :tongue:

Here Ronin is shown as a competent antagonist who does his job effectively and sets the stage for the exposition episode where the Ninjas learn more about Nadahkan, and kids are too upset that Ronin went after the Ninjas for cash. :sceptic:

Everyone literally forgot ronin is a bounty hunter, he would do anything for money! Not really surprised that he would turn on the ninja.

Was just thinking about it... What was up with the Commissioner's twitching eye? It was featured so prominently in the episode, and I didn't really see it as a joke... I wonder why so much attention was paid to it at random points in the episode. I guess maybe the joke was that he was so stressed about catching the ninja that his eye was twitching? Seems like an odd inclusion unless it means something...

Was just thinking about it... What was up with the Commissioner's twitching eye? It was featured so prominently in the episode, and I didn't really see it as a joke... I wonder why so much attention was paid to it at random points in the episode. I guess maybe the joke was that he was so stressed about catching the ninja that his eye was twitching? Seems like an odd inclusion unless it means something...

I assumed it was Nadakhan, though the Commissioner may just be unwilling to admit he twitches under stress.

I assumed it was Nadakhan, though the Commissioner may just be unwilling to admit he twitches under stress.

Thought it was Nadakhan at first too, but the ending shot shows Nadakhan watching the Commissioner send the ninja away, so I guess it's the latter. Not sure why that would be included, though, as it was pretty random.

Jay's bio on lego.com gives some spoilers for the new season!

"Jay is heartbroken that Nya has told him they are just friends, and that is all they will ever be. This tempts him to use Nadakhan's magic to somehow win her heart, although, to his frustration, he discovers you cannot wish for love. As a result of his efforts, he discovers that he was adopted and that his true father was a famous actor (and Jay's movie idol). Little does Jay know that the fate of the entire team will wind up resting on his shoulders. Jay will find he has to be the hero to save all of NINJAGO."

Basically JAY IS ADOPTED! I actually like the direction they're going with this, and makes me really curious about Jay's origin and how that comes into play this season. Wonder what his birth name is?

Edited by EZNetwork

So apparently Lego mistakenly updated the Ninjago website for US and UK, but sadly the whole site is now taken down.

So here is some highlights of what we got in this update.

Characters:

Dogshank used to be beautiful.

Monkey Wretch used to be a normal monkey, but than was tricked by Nadakhan and got turned into a mechanic monkey.

Nadakhan is a prince in djinjago ( another realm, I guess. ) And he want to marry Nya ( most likely was because she looks like the " Dilaura " mentioned in episode 55 )

And he want to turn Ninjago into the new Djinjago and gain the power to gain himself unlimited wishes .

Jay was adopted and his real father was the famous actor who acted Fritz Donnegan.

Edited by NinjaJayNuva

So apparently Lego mistakenly updated the Ninjago website for US and UK, but sadly the whole site is now taken down.

So here is some highlights of what we got in this update.

Characters:

Dogshank used to be beautiful.

Monkey Wretch used to be a normal monkey, but than was tricked by Nadakhan and got turned into a mechanic monkey.

Nadakhan is a prince in djinjago ( another realm, I guess. ) And he want to marry Nya ( most likely was because she looks like the " Dilaura " mentioned in episode 55 )

And he want to turn Ninjago into the new Djinjago and gain the power to gain himself unlimited wishes .

Jay was adopted and his real father was the famous actor who acted Fritz Donnegan.

Please use the spoilers tag as those are some major plot points for the season.

Anyways after watching those two episodes, I'm really excited to see the next few. I'm still curious about the floating islands, hope they cover those in the next few episodes. Also about that Djinjago, is there going to be more Djins in there or will it be like an abandoned realm. Also curious about Dogshank being no longer beautiful and Wrench being mechanical due to Nadakhan. Maybe they might turn against him later in the season?

They lied... And said it was crowded...