Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

Well with some tecnic and LDD experiences you can check how durable they are but its time consuming... Maybe allow LDD models and a real model mock-up (without totally correct colors, parts...)

A problem I would have with digital entries is that you can't check their buildability. At least when something is a photograph you can be sure the model actually stays together.

This is something, that has been mentioned several times in exactly opposite direction. There were some doubts about structural integrity of the real entries. Even in the last MINI contest is was mentioned, that digital file should be obligatory so that trained eye can check the rigidity of the model.

Yes, it is possible, that digital model will not stay together, just like in case of a real model it is possible, that it only stays together but nothing more - no rigidity, no proper bracing of gears, possibly illegal building techniques etc.

The LDD is a perfect tool to see awesome MOCs only outside and we can see undervalued MOCs with amazing mechanisms. Finally may also appreciate the inside because not everyone can see it.

A C model of a set like Hot rod or simillar would be interesting... And OFC if you dont have it you have to buy it to compete hence Lego could sponsor this one too...

Would be an excellent excuse for me to buy the 42022 Hot Rod.

For a very low-budget C-model competition I think 42020 Twin-Rotor Helicopter would be the best set. It has four wheels, rotors and a few gears. And enough axles/pins/liftbeams to be able to make other things. And it's pretty cheap. On a higher budget than Hot Rod I'm guessing 42023 Construction Crew would give quite some possibilities. Obviously any set would work, but in my view these would be very versatile.

What would also be fun is that anyone (who has the set) can build the creation of someone else. In the last MINI contest, that often wasn't really an option as you would almost always be missing some parts.

Simply a set of common parts also sounds great.

Edited by W3ird_N3rd

We will definitely do one or more C-model contests in the future. Would it be an idea to let the builder decide which set to use? So everyone is free to choose their own set?

The reason we are not allowing digital entries is because digital building should be an aid, instead of an end product. Historically it's because there's no way of telling whether a digital model would work as a real model.

I have added a poll question about digital building.

I think digital and real should be mandatory. But as soon as people can pick their own sets than soemone can pick rare sets like 41999 and build an awesome model with chrome, awesome color, motors etc...while others cant. There should be same starting conditions for everyone including the set.

Being able to choose the set is bad... someone could make an awesomely clever little model out of the 42020 helicopter (maybe that's all they've got), but it would be completely overshadowed by people making C models from 41999, 42030 and other flagships :thumbdown:

Edited by legomuppet9

Big doesn't necessarily means better. All depends on how you judge an entry.

Although I understand the sentiment of having more (or better) parts to work with.

I suggest that we could use a medium priced set,that should make it easier for more people to join. :wink:

I think medium sized is indeed best.

This set is awesome for C-models, but that's already been done by Rebrickable.

42004-1.jpg

How about "any set with a part count less than 500"?

Or a selection of predefined sets?

Well that set is now going to be discontinued so perhaps a more currant set?

This set has got 414.

42022-1.jpg?1

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I'd limit to a specific set. Would be interesting how many different models people come up with from a single set

I'd limit to a specific set. Would be interesting how many different models people come up with from a single set

True, but being able to choose between some sets, makes the contest more accessible, which means more contestants.

Big doesn't necessarily means better. All depends on how you judge an entry.

This is true, but only few voters really judge the entries. Most of them judge only by first look and in that case bigger is better. Only few voters care about good functions or smart use of parts.

Thats why I would suggest selecting a particular set and allow digital entries. It sounds like a good idea to create a C-models contest for 2 mid-range sets each year. Or one for small and one for mid-range set.

The idea that digital design is an aid and not a final product is good. On the other hand following it strictly is may be pedagogical, educational or whatever but it is mainly a bareer that prevents some people from participating in the contest. Even TLG recognized it during 41999 new crawler body design and they allowed any form of design. Drawing is may be too far from the final product, but digital entries are not that far.

This may be a bit too complicated but you could have two options:

Option 1

Use only a single set of the currant 2015 model range,in the 400-500 piece count.

Option 2

Use two of the currant 2015 models,which when added together equal the 400-500 piece count.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

This is true, but only few voters really judge the entries. Most of them judge only by first look and in that case bigger is better. Only few voters care about good functions or smart use of parts.

Unfortunately....you are right! :sadnew:

Option 1

Use only a single set of the currant 2015 model range,in the 400-500 piece count.

Option 2

Use two of the currant 2015 models,which when added together equal the 400-500 piece count.

Combining two sets might be a good idea. Like TLG is doing the last two years.

Being able to choose between option 1 and 2 sounds perfect.

Option 1

Option 2

Bad idea, since some people MUST buy a set to join the contest which is not nice.

Bad idea, since some people MUST buy a set to join the contest which is not nice.

One way or another, people do need to have the set to enter the contest. Giving you more freedom, means less chance that you MUST buy a set.

Edit: Sorry, you obviously meant 2014 sets only.

Ok, we could allow previous years sets....

Exactly!! I won't limit to this year's sets.

Thats why I would suggest selecting a particular set and allow digital entries. It sounds like a good idea to create a C-models contest for 2 mid-range sets each year. Or one for small and one for mid-range set.

The idea that digital design is an aid and not a final product is good. On the other hand following it strictly is may be pedagogical, educational or whatever but it is mainly a bareer that prevents some people from participating in the contest. Even TLG recognized it during 41999 new crawler body design and they allowed any form of design. Drawing is may be too far from the final product, but digital entries are not that far.

Thats always the problem since technic is kind of a black goat of lego, its not just looks like the other themese but also functions. But voters may not be so technic-savy so they vote for best eye candy...

What I'm saying is technic is specific and the voters are not, hence beauty wins even though the model may be from a technic persepctive a POS.

Thats always the problem since technic is kind of a black goat of lego, its not just looks like the other themese but also functions. But voters may not be so technic-savy so they vote for best eye candy...

What I'm saying is technic is specific and the voters are not, hence beauty wins even though the model may be from a technic persepctive a POS.

I don't think that's a problem as long as a minimum number of functions has to be implemented (which is usually stated in the rules). IMHO with minimal functions, looks is not less legitime way to judge than the functions.

I have been thinking about digital entries (especially for the MT contest), but wouldn't it be a bit unfair to allow digital entries vs real life builds? Building digitally means you will have unlimited parts available.

I have been thinking about digital entries (especially for the MT contest), but wouldn't it be a bit unfair to allow digital entries vs real life builds? Building digitally means you will have unlimited parts available.

Someone who has a lot of money also has unlimited parts available, so personally I wouldn't disqualify on that basis.

I think a digital build already carries a disadvantage because it doesn't look as good as a well-photographed real model can look.

I don't know how strong the ties between this forum and TLG are, but would it be possible for TLG to offer some set at a slightly discounted price to contestents for a C-model, on the condition that they must enter the contest if they use the discount?

I'm asking because I've seen something like that before, where a manufacturer offered a product with a discount if people joined a contest with it. It's just a form of advertising.

Edited by W3ird_N3rd