just2good

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2014 Rumors & Discussion

Glad I could share these with everyone and spark some discussion.

I'm liking the look of the Turtle Van, though the (Canadian) price still puts me off. And I'm inclined to agree with the person who said the Big Rig is generic. When closed, it looks bland to me, and it demands that the interior be the hero. That might be why the set comes with so many (relatively speaking) components. I don't know... Even with the leaked image where the interior is shown, I'm not sold on this set whatsoever. Karai looks good, though.

The price though...... $120 for the Lair in Canada!?!?? I'll wait for a sale.

Ugh. Tell me about it. The gouging is crazy.

I'm surprised that we've had pictures emerge now. Not that I'm complaining about that, even if I do think it is odd that there aren't any images of the new lair yet. The Turtle Van Takedown is quite a nice build; it certainly looks far more coherent than the Shellraiser from the TV series (which I do quite like the design of). I am surprised how much I like the new Foot Soldier design, though I find the inclusion of the seemingly generic person to be odd (I suppose that he is supposed to be Vernon Fenwick or something?).

The Big Rig Snow Getaway is certainly a generic build, but it isn't a bad build as a result of this. Both vehicles are well-built, even if I struggle to see how they make sense for TMNT (I guess that the movie will explain that much). The April O'Neill/Megan Fox minifigure is good in almost every way, and would actually be damn near perfect were it not for the face having cheekbones. Considering how bad cheekbones make minifigures look (more often than not) I fail to see why LEGO insist on using them. Karai isn't too bad, though I had expected far better for some reason. As for the Turtles (this applies to both sets), as with the movie itself from what we have been shown so far, I have no issues with the designs of the Turtles. Actually, I sort of like them, mainly because of the higher amount of variety in comparison to the TV show Turtles. I like how the Turtle designs work to reflect each Turtles' personality, and I'm glad that their minifigures successfully replicate this.

Now here's hoping we get pictures of the lair sooner rather than later.

0_o nice find! The Turtles look...... questionable, but the 2 sets look promising.

The price though...... $120 for the Lair in Canada!?!?? I'll wait for a sale.

If you live in Canada you get use to these high prices. :sceptic:

The sets confirm that Karai and Vern are in the movie.

Karai

Karai

The movie sets are disappointing.

Other than Karai, the mini-figures are on the ugly side.

- Ralph's mask looks like a toupee on him.

- April does not look good with the cheek bones.

- Vern looks too generic.

Where is Donatello in the sets?

The $30+ sets are on high side.

I like I will stick with the CGI cartoon sets.

Ugh, those movie turtle minifigs look as scary as in the movie! The vehicles look good, especially the turtle van, but I stick to the animated series-typed turtles.

I guess Donnie is in the 3rd set with someone.

After looking at those again, definitely look like New molds. The shell does look way too high, which is movie accurate, but not good for lego form. The heads look more round vs Nickelodeon. Plus they do have those hold to attach things. Plus the shell had another joke to attach the sword holder.

I actually like the sets for what they are, but don't like the minifigure. Which is funny since I liked the minifigure of the previous life, but didn't care for the sets. Lego knows how to get you huh. I will probably pass on these since minifigure are the main draw of licensed sets for me.

Wait, what? Michael Bay and Megan Fox are working together again? I thought they hated each other. Can we have a remake of Transformers 3? Honestly, until the turtles showed up I thought that trailer could have been a Transformers movie. And when they did show up :sick: :sick: :sick:. Maybe this is how Bay is punishing Megan.

So in this case, I actually prefer the Lego figures to the source material. The new blue turtle looks quite good to me, and the little van is cute. The truck set is kind of meh though, it is not really any better than the speed racer truck 8160 , and that was $40.

:classic:

No, that would look way different, the neck connector on the tv series shells are ont he top, on these enw oens they are more like the middle of the shell.

Upon closer inspection, I guess you and Just2Good are right! My bad. :grin:

My thoughts: I'm liking the van set because it looks great and its in olive green! I really like the turtles though. The truck is actually growing on me and the little black van is cute! I am amazed at the detail but the set looks 'sacrificed for play features'.

I am amazed at the detail but the set looks 'sacrificed for play features'.

How exactly do you think it looks sacrificed for play features? Both vehicles look very complete to me, and the opening mechanisms are unobtrusive. While they don't scream TMNT to me, the truck and van are a pretty nice truck and van.

The black truck has the missiles sticking out and, like the old Agents, I would have loved a way to hide it.

the missile laucher hides in the back of the black truck.

673419212182_1_hi.jpg

Edited by Dr.Cogg

How on Earth are they expected to speak if they don't have lips???

The way they've been doing it for years? Lips aren't required for speech. Heck, look at parrots :P.

Concerning what the mouthparts on the classic turtles are; Ralf covers it quite nicely in the New Line TMNT3 movie, "I have a beak, don't I?"

The issue with the new movie is that these turtles are done through motion capture, not suits with animatronically controlled faces.

People keep bringing up the issue of Michael Bay being connected with this film. I have posted this repeatedly: he is a producer on this film, not the director.

Has anyone noticed that Leo in the truck get away has a sword scabard that fits on his back that pretty cool

Edited by samxsteal

TMNT hub is working properly now and I'm able to view the alternate builds.

The first combo one (Mutation + Sky Strike) doesn't seem like much, but the ones for the Turtle Sub and Shredder's Lair look promising. Neither sway me into further wanting these two sets, though — I already do, actually, but the Canadian prices are enough to hold me back.

Hopefully they offer alternative instructions for the movie sets, too.

Edited by Fritzy

So the movie version Karai uses a painted Irina Spalko hairpiece, the small cartoon set uses an original one? The olive van looks pretty nice.

Personally I'm not very interested in the movie sets, and it would be a bad thing for TLC if many moviegoers or TMNT fans feel the same with me. Despite the popularity of TMNT franchise, maybe the cartoon version is more appealing to targeted KFOLs. Still, as an AFOL I'd see TLC pay more attention to other current licenses with fewer sets.

Thanks for the Mini-Shellraiser review.

You're welcome! I might try it on EB making a review too, still reading the guidelines so that I follow the rules precisely. Also try quoting me next time you have a reply so that I can get notified about it quicker ;)

Has anyone noticed that Leo in the truck get away has a sword scabard that fits on his back that pretty cool

Very true but the pieces cannot fit at the same time. Leo can't wear the shell and the sword sheaths as back accessories simultaneously. Still nice adding it in.

It's an April Fool's Day miracle! :laugh:

The one time ever we can trust something happening this day :D

Good to know. That might actually help LEGO sell more alongside the build-up to the film.

Very good point. This also gives time for the lego community to enjoy and possibly embrace the newly released show based sets. I would hate to see two turtle waves on top of each other so soon because people would forget one wave and move to the newest one, thus losing profit. As people get used to the show based sets from this year, the new wave will be something to look forward to but not have to buy directly on top of the show wave. It will make the theme last longer.

Very true but the pieces cannot fit at the same time. Leo can't wear the shell and the sword sheaths as back accessories simultaneously. Still nice adding it in.

I think it's actually a new scabbard mould, as in one of the images, it does appear to be attached to the shell.

I think it's actually a new scabbard mould, as in one of the images, it does appear to be attached to the shell.

indeed, no doubt also made to accomadate for the purple one's technology backpack

Yeah that what i noticed Cuz its and Accesory in the line up but the box art shows it on his shell

indeed, no doubt also made to accomadate for the purple one's technology backpack

you know what i didn't think of that wow lol a bet your right.

I just wish the released the Lair break in photos as well to get a look at don and splinter

the missile laucher hides in the back of the black truck.

That hair is perfect for CA:TWS Black Widow!

I can dig the turtle van, but I'm on the fence about the semi chase set. Decisions, decisions...

Edited by Colossus