ZCerberus

Future The Hobbit Sets?

I just use the Brickforge falcata until one of the custom makers designs a proper design. In no fathomable way does Orcrist differ by only a hilt design.

Just to be clear, I was referring to Anduril/Glamdring when I said the only major difference was the hilt. Other than that those swords look close enough to the current Lego long sword. They only have slight differences in blade shape.

Orcrist probably didnt get its own mold because its not prominently used enough. It seems Lego is only into making new sword molds if they are used a lot AND they have really unique shapes and unfortunely only Sting seems to fit both bills thus far.

Edited by Deathleech

There is also the fact these swords have very violent pasts that TLG may not want to highlight.

Um... If Lego had a serious issue with violence, they wouldn't be doing this theme or LotR in the first place. :wink:

Edited by Lego Spy

There is a difference. There are lego axes but you won't find one named Lizzy Borden or scalping axe. And you also have to remember that this is a licensed line, so lego is not the only one to get the final say so. And while Warner bros. may not care about depicting fighting in a toy, killing is a bit different. I know some here would fail to see the difference.

Edited by Darth Punk

There is a difference. There are lego axes but you won't find one named Lizzy Borden or scalping axe. And you also have to remember that this is a licensed line, so lego is not the only one to get the final say so. And while Warner bros. may not care about depicting fighting in a toy, killing is a bit different. I know some here would fail to see the difference.

I see what you're saying. The final decision comes down to Lego whether to release it or not so there's no use arguing and getting off-topic. :classic:

Did anyone catch the last page of the new instruction manuals? "Lego The Hobbit, The Journey Concludes in 2014." I am not taking that as a sign of longevity in this or the LotR lines.

I am not surprised about the end of the Hobbit line. I suspect we only have one last LotR wave in summer 2014. Although there is no promise of that.

We know that TLG is willing to allow lines such as Pirates of the Caribbean which exceeded expectations (according to their Shareholder report) end once there was no supporting media.

Did anyone catch the last page of the new instruction manuals? "Lego The Hobbit, The Journey Concludes in 2014." I am not taking that as a sign of longevity in this or the LotR lines.

Ya, that was one of the first things reported a few weeks ago when the sets first started popping up at TRU. I think most expect the line to end when the movies do, it's just a matter of getting a third LotR wave or if we are getting a third (and forth?) Hobbit one.

Ya, that was one of the first things reported a few weeks ago when the sets first started popping up at TRU. I think most expect the line to end when the movies do, it's just a matter of getting a third LotR wave or if we are getting a third (and forth?) Hobbit one.

I'm wondering if there will be a summer release for either theme. If LotR is done then I could see it being another year (just prior to the last movie release) before we see any more middle earth inspired sets unless it is a D2C Hobbit.

@ N7LEGO: To me, it seems obvious that the potential Smaug set will be around 100$. The reason I believe so is the lack of a 10$ and a 100$ set in the current Hobbit wave, which might be explained by the 3-movie-split. I think they originally planned for both waves to have six sets with the same price range and they simply kept the four sets we have now for DoS and postponed the remaining two to coincide with TABA. The Dol Guldur storyline was supposed to be featured in the films even before the split (as indicated by the first trailer), so it's realistic to assume that 79011 and 79014 were part of the original line too (even though 79014 would have included Bolg instead of Azog, as the preliminary pictures prove). The only thing weird about that scenario would be the Bo5A, which would have been reduced to a 10$ set :laugh: Or maybe those who expect a D2C set are right and the 100$ spot would have gone to a Bo5A set, who knows :grin: I still wonder how the whole Hobbit thing (both the movies and the sets) would have played out if the split hadn't happened...

Edited by Lego-Freak

@ Lego-Freak: Interesting point about Bolg. Are the prelims that had the fig people were calling a "red haired warrior" available anywhere?

@ Lego-Freak: Interesting point about Bolg. Are the prelims that had the fig people were calling a "red haired warrior" available anywhere?

That was probably a mock up of Beorn. Just a placeholder fig using something like Gloin's hairpiece.

As far as the Bo5A sets? The MEA set might have started out intended as part of that? If we do get a set It will probably look something a bit like Dol Gulder Battle. Isn't the rumor that Bo5A's basically takes place ina nd around the ruins of Dale?

That was probably a mock up of Beorn. Just a placeholder fig using something like Gloin's hairpiece.

Nope, the prelim SET image obv held a placeholder, but the minifig lineup showed Bolg as he was used to look. And the set included BOTH Azog and Bolg.

The deisgn for bolg has changed into a CG thing with a mostly new design, I think thats why lego didn't include him, they didn't have time to desgn the new bolg, but in the movie bboth Azog and Bolg are see together in Dol guldur.

Bolg survives DOS so we could assume we'll get his minifigure next year.

Speculation: we dont know how far along LEGO came making the old Bolg figure, but if they had started physical production of him, theres a potential we could see him as a pre order for the game, or as a comic con exclusive. Games workshop has gotten away with renaming that version "gundabad orc general" cause he is seen in AUJ after all.

Edited by deskp

@deskp: Good point, I really hope TLG goes the same route and releases him as "Orc General" (which they probably would in case the Bolg figure they've designed has reached the final stages of production). The design sure is iconic enough to warrant a release :classic: Or maybe they rename him and make him Azog's distant cousin or something :grin:

I'm just hoping we get an armored Elf in the last wave. The lack of an armored elf with helmet in the Mirkwood Battle set was a big disappointment to me. The hooded guys don't look very elven, and it seems like it mostly done as a money-saver by lego instead of making a new mold. The elves we see in the trailer are so cool looking that I'm sure they'd make a set like that a huge seller. I'm only buying one of the Mirkwood Army set, mostly just for Thranduil. If they would have come with a new helmet and printed breastplate, I would have bought 6 at least.

I'm just hoping we get an armored Elf in the last wave. The lack of an armored elf with helmet in the Mirkwood Battle set was a big disappointment to me. The hooded guys don't look very elven, and it seems like it mostly done as a money-saver by lego instead of making a new mold. The elves we see in the trailer are so cool looking that I'm sure they'd make a set like that a huge seller. I'm only buying one of the Mirkwood Army set, mostly just for Thranduil. If they would have come with a new helmet and printed breastplate, I would have bought 6 at least.

Ya, I would have easily bought double to if they had the elves in armor rather than green hoods again, and also if the orcs had the hair/ear piece. That or they could of even done half and half, maybe even had 1 in a hood, 1 with hair, and then 1 in full armor?

Hey deskp, could you post a picture of Bolg V2? I don't think I'll like him though... I loved the first outfit. :sceptic:

Ya, I would have easily bought double to if they had the elves in armor rather than green hoods again, and also if the orcs had the hair/ear piece. That or they could of even done half and half, maybe even had 1 in a hood, 1 with hair, and then 1 in full armor?

It was a big screwup on Lego's part. They could have put 1 armored Elf in MEA and it would have attracted much more attention, then they could simply reuse the same mold for a slightly different (or even identical) print in a TABA wave, and people would still buy more since it's such a cool design. Mold reuse is often poorly thought out by Lego; for instance, they could have tossed a warrior of Rohan with a sword into the Battle of the Black Gate and made that set all the more attractive; they could've put hair on one of the Orcs in Black Gate or Corsair Ship Ambush to make it slightly more interesting. Same principle here: you put one armored elf in MEA, people go nuts, buy tons, scalp him on bricklink and ebay. And he's so expensive that there's still a solid demand. Drop 1 into a cheap set or 2 or 3 into a more expensive set in the TABA wave and people come rushing back.

Ya I don't understand Lego's line of thinking here. These pieces would cost next to nothing for them to include if they already have the new mold from another set, but it would increase sales exponentially. The only reason I can think of is it makes other sets more appealing that might not have a ton of interest from fans otherwise. For example DGA has orcs with hair and ears where as DGB and MEA don't. I know several people have mentioned wanting to buy a few of them and I can only assume it's because of the hair piece, MEA is a much better value figure wise. Still, sets usually offer other exclusive figures or builds so ya, I don't get it.

Prelim pictures of the Pirates of Umbar set box showed (in small drawing of figs included at the bottom of the box front) the 2 orks with new helmet and armor that looked a lot like the armor worn by moria orcs. I expect they dropped those to keep mold costs down (but also lost sales to me!). I think the same is true with MEA. They only had money for new Thranduil hair, and added hood because the polybag was so popular. Since by making a elf helmet for MEA, they could have also reused it for Hobbit 3rd wave/BO5A sets to spread out expense, it makes me fear we'll get none at all.

It is similar to the Black gate set like Darth Caedus said Putting not just Rohan soldier in it, but also Gondor soldier with new helmet, and that set sells much stronger (I know, too many good guys!), and have the helmet ready for a $30 army builder later.

Edited by greenalfonzo