I have to say. I love this MOC. Its got everything you could want including incredible complexity in a realitively small frame. I also love how you integrated the IR receivers in a way that doesn't scream "hey...we're over here".

Job well done! I already exported the parts list from rebrickable.

For those of you that are wondering...its about 400 bucks in parts if using used parts. Most of that is the PF stuff so if you have some lying around expect the cost to come down significantly.

True for the parts and this being a great moc. For me the only problems was the BB and engine block. The engine block is a minor problem in this case. It would be nice if some 2014 set would have the BB.

Would you mind sharing the LDraw file you used for the instructions so I can make some renders?

I truly appreciate all the kind words, hope the model lives up to the "hype" whenever someone gets around to building it, and that those who build it gets some enjoyment out of it!:-)

@EyesOnly: the aaa bb isn't very expensive, I think it is mainly used in the train sets.. Also, the engine block parts are purely aesthetic, used to cover up some holes in the beams.. Could probably get a similar effect using tiles or something:-)

@Blakbird: sure can do, would be honored to have one of your superb renders to showcase my MOC! Will have to wait till over the weekend though, as I am currently at sea, helping a friend bring a yacht home:-) off topic: it's freakin fantastic to be sailing again!

Edited by D3K

I have compiled all the LDraw files in a single RAR file that can be downloaded from my dropbox here.

I have however since I started making the instructions, read some more about how to do it, and it might be a bit messy, as I don't think I used a .mpd file. :look: So I'm not sure if it is readily viewable as a complete model...? At least I couldn't open it properly in SR3D builder..

If this is the case, is there a way to export the completed model as a whole, with the sub assemblies broken up in to pieces in the main model?

Anyway, the complete assembly is the file called "Back lower" inside the zip file.

On a different note, this is what it looks like broken down (sorry for bad picture, it was dark and I only have my phone):

dsc_0241.jpg

Even broken down and sorted like this, I didn't even get halfway through the instructions in more than 4 hours (And I created it!)

So I guess anyone wanting to build it, will have many hours of fun ahead of them!

Also, I noticed a couple of mistakes in the instructions (a clutch gear that should be an ordinary spur gear, and a sub step missing), and I will try too fix this as soon as possible! :blush:

Hi,

Built it. Awesome MOC!

I found a couple more errors in the instructions. And at times it would be easier to build in a different order :)

It took me about 5 hours with some improvements, improvisations for parts I don't have and fixing a wrongly turned differential (in the swinging part).

Two remarks:

1. The bucket linear actuator geometry is not quite right (I'll recheck the instructions, just in case)

2. The L motor struggles with lifting the (even empty) arm assembly, there is a lot of friction/strain somewhere along the way

All in all, a very fun build. I like that it's big and heavy and sturdy :classic:

I'll post a couple of pictures later on. I suppose you are eager to see them :wink:

Thank you very much!

I finished converting this to an LDraw MPD file and also arranged the model in a couple of different configurations to show the articulation. Here are low res versions of my renders. Bigger files at my Brickshelf (once moderated).

down1.jpg

down2.jpg

up1.jpg

up2.jpg

up3.jpg

Thank you very much Blakbird, they look great! :thumbup: :thumbup: If you don't mind. I'll use some of the pictures for the revamped instructions and the cover photo at Rebrickable! :classic:

Also; would it be possible to make a ghosted image showing the functions, like you did with GuiliuG's wheeled excavator? mechanical.jpg_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Built it. Awesome MOC!

I found a couple more errors in the instructions. And at times it would be easier to build in a different order :)

It took me about 5 hours with some improvements, improvisations for parts I don't have and fixing a wrongly turned differential (in the swinging part).

Two remarks:

1. The bucket linear actuator geometry is not quite right (I'll recheck the instructions, just in case)

2. The L motor struggles with lifting the (even empty) arm assembly, there is a lot of friction/strain somewhere along the way

All in all, a very fun build. I like that it's big and heavy and sturdy :classic:

I'll post a couple of pictures later on. I suppose you are eager to see them :wink:

Thank you very much!

Thanks for the feedback, I read your comment on Rebrickable, and am aware of some of the mistakes/shortcomings you pointed out :blush:

Like I said there, I will try to fix the instructions as soon as possible, and replace the file in my dropbox :thumbup:

I can say it here as well:

1. The geometry of the Z-link is not perfect, you have to use both controls when lifting and lowering to keep the bucket level, and prevent the assembly from "locking up." It could probably be done a little better. but keeping in mind how long I spent figuring it out in my last attept, I stuck with a design that worked satisfactory here.

2. Replacing the yellow knob gears in the rotating superstructure (transmission from vertical to horizontal rotation just before the LAs them selves) with a 12z bevel gear and two 20z double bevel gears, significantly reduces the strain, at the expense of speed. I will suggest this in the instructions. Also, to further reduce strain, one could probably change the last gears in the actual LA brackets to 12z bevel and 12z double bevel gears.

Will try to have the updated instructions up before the end of the weekend

Lastly; pictures would be very much appreciated, yes! :blush:

Edited by D3K

I made a red one!

dscf5784.jpg

dscf5786.jpg

dscf5788.jpg

dscf5791.jpg

dscf5792.jpg

dscf5793.jpg

I've made a few modifications to accommodate for the parts that I didn't have. I could have matched it a bit more closely if I'd done it in yellow, but I'm kind of sick of everything being yellow. I didn't have enough tiles to achieve the smoothness in the original but I don't mind the look of the exposed pin holes. The most notable modification is the use of a regular battery box, which was surprisingly easy. The engine cover is just one stud longer and theres a slight change to how it attaches, but nothing tricky. There must've been a lot of extra room in there with the rechargeable one.

All in all it's a wonderful MOC. The build was challenging; I kind of liked how the instructions don't have to be kid friendly like TLGs ones, so sort of just show you how it should be put together without always showing every tiny step.

Many thanks for producing the instructions, it's much appreciated. This is really the first time I've been able to build someone else's fairly large-scale complex MOC with the parts I already own, and I enjoyed the experience.

It's fun to play with too!

(As an aside, I didn't realise until after I'd finished it that the front IR receiver forms the driver's seat. Nice touch!)

Nicely done in red! Now if only enough parts were available in orange, that would be awesome!

You know a great moc when you show it too your dad and he sighs, because he knows your going to spend all your money on parts :P

Excellent indeed.

You know a great moc when you show it too your dad and he sighs, because he knows your going to spend all your money on parts :P

Excellent indeed.

Ha ha ha! For me it's my wife that sighs!

Also; would it be possible to make a ghosted image showing the functions, like you did with GuiliuG's wheeled excavator?

Sure. It took some time, but here is the functional view. Bigger version at Brickshelf.

mechanical.jpg

Like I said there, I will try to fix the instructions as soon as possible, and replace the file in my dropbox :thumbup:

Have you posted the updated instructions yet?

Heh, that 'x-ray' render of Blakbird above makes me want to build this MOC as well :) Off to Rebrickable I go...

Edit: hmm, 109 parts missing. Time to make some Bricklink orders :D

Edited by jantjeuh

Great work, I love the mechanics and look.

Jennifer

Thanks a lot! :sweet:

I made a red one!

It is a bit weird to see ones creation made by someone else, but a good weird! A first for me, and it makes me very happy that you liked the model! :blush::thumbup: :thumbup:

It looks great it red, and I think it would have been absolutely awesome with some white put in there (for example the cabin and the digger assembly)! :look:

Also, I really like the mods you have done to compensate missing parts, and accomodate the AA batterybox! Looks great!

Nicely done in red! Now if only enough parts were available in orange, that would be awesome!

That would be awesome, but it is surely a pipe dream :sweet: Maybe in the future? :look:

Excellent indeed.

Better start saving then! :laugh:

Sure. It took some time, but here is the functional view. Bigger version at Brickshelf.

Have you posted the updated instructions yet?

Thanks a lot, looks great! :classic::thumbup: :thumbup:

And yeah, the instructions are updated, same link as before (I think you'll like the cover page)

The only thing I forgot to fix (that I recall) is early on in the construction of the front.. there are two #1 axle/pin connectors inside a 5x7 frame/beam that will conflict with the differential, when you turn said diff around as I suggest by text in the instructions. This is a no brainer to fix though, either by moving the connectors to the proper side, or by flipping the rear diff instead.

(the two connectors are there only to prevent the 10L vertical axle that goes through the turntable from being pushed down..) :blush:

Just wondering, the inventory at Rebrickable lists two 50 cm PF extension wires, but I guess two 20 cm PF extension wires will do as well?

Edited by jantjeuh

Just wondering, the inventory at Rebrickable lists two 50 cm PF extension cords, but I guess two 20 cm PF extension cords will do as well?

That is very correct, and you only really need one... to go from the battery box to connect the IR receivers and lights..

The parts list was pretty much exported directly from LDD, and then edited, so there are some minor faults.. will fix this cable issue asap :wink:

Cool, I guessed as much. Thanks a lot for making the instructions available for free by the way, though I wouldn't have minded paying for such good instructions! I have almost all the parts ordered now, can't wait to start building this beauty...

Edited by jantjeuh

Cool, I guessed as much. Thanks a lot for making the instructions available for free by the way, though I wouldn't have minded paying for such good instructions! I have almost all the parts ordered now, can't wait to start building this beauty...

I'm really glad you appreciate it, feel free to post a picture or two of the finished model along with your impressions here in this topic when you are done! :sweet:

Seeing as there are some small mistakes, some illegal techniques, and the instructions lack the overall quality and refinement as seen in the ones from the more notorious MOCers around here, I wouldn't fell comfortable charging money for them :blush:

Since you are giving the instructions away for free, would you mind if I posted the LDraw MPD file so that people can see the model in 3D?